Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 2011 general discussion/obs thread

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your reasoning behind this?

Globular worming.

Anyway...90 or 91 or I guess 92 is possible, LAF likes 2 degree inter-hour bumps lately, for the high here today. Pool and AC FTW.

IND going with 92º here tomorrow. I'll take the over.

This is actually the type of pattern that can make for interesting severe weather outbreaks here. Your area being hot and capped is what we need here for severe weather. :P

One guy's loss is another one's gain. Like my buddy across town, I'm no fan of the heat, but if it's going to be hot then we might as well make it more noteworthy with a 100 degree day or two. Haven't had one here since 1999.

i'll be modestly surprised if we're not under a headline of some sort when i wake up tomorrow.

still 92 at ORD as of 5:51, good chance some places don't drop below 80 tonight.

It will probably depend on who's in the office.

Both tonight and tomorrow night the city will likely stay in the low 80's.

ORD will probably top out between 96-99F tomorrow and Wednesday.

One guy's loss is another one's gain. Like my buddy across town, I'm no fan of the heat, but if it's going to be hot then we might as well make it more noteworthy with a 100 degree day or two. Haven't had one here since 1999.

Yeah, what the hell...why not. 100º or bust. :fever:

It will probably depend on who's in the office.

Both tonight and tomorrow night the city will likely stay in the low 80's overnight.

ORD will probably top out between 96-99F tomorrow and Wednesday.

Starting to wonder if I might've overshot my 99 prediction a little, but given what has happened farther west today and tacking on a degree or two with urbanization, maybe not.

Starting to wonder if I might've overshot my 99 prediction a little, but given what has happened farther west today and tacking on a degree or two with urbanization, maybe not.

It will be interesting to see how warm 850's are and how deep mixing is...or if we have any cloud cover to deal with, especially Wednesday.

Common sense. It gets hotter later in the summer. After this week, some places will have 3 or 4 90+ readings already that have gone whole summers without hitting 90 once in recent years (like 2000, 2003, 2004). Usually if its this hot now, it only gets worse. I can't think of a recent summer that had a hot June only to peter out with a cool July and August. Summer isn't like winter where the pattern can change on a dime. Let's be honest, regardless of your thought on the matter, this is very hot for the first week of June. Southern Indiana was around 100 on Saturday, today its in the low 100s in parts of eastern NE and western IA. Even Houston and Galveston, Texas have been shattering records (Houston at 105 the last two days, it had never been above 104 in June before).That's hot (no trademark infringement of Paris Hilton intended)!

Any forecast that was banking on the wet ground saving us is already in jeopardy -- things are drying out fast!

Well, then there's years such as 1988.

We had a never ending epic torch for the first 2/3rds of summer then it completely flipped towards the end.

But yeah, in general you're right. It's much easier to heat things up, even despite marginal temperature profiles when the weather's hot and dry long enough.

Wow, this really puts things into perspective. For some reason, when I see 95 as a projected high, it doesn't strike me as that unusual, but it certainly is for early June here, and I don't think we've seen 100 in several years either. We'll see if anyone in the Great Lakes or Upper Ohio Valley can top 100 tomorrow.

Well, then there's years such as 1988.

We had a never ending epic torch for the first 2/3rds of summer then it completely flipped towards the end.

But yeah, in general you're right. It's much easier to heat things up, even despite marginal temperature profiles when the weather's hot and dry long enough.

I think you have it backwards. June was the coolest month of the three summer months, although it had an epic heat wave later in the month with temps over 100. July and August were complete torch, after a cool first few days of July. I think towards the end of August, it started to cool down... but the first half of the month had brutal heat AND humidity (as the drought had finally broken towards the end of July).

up to 94 now..new record. actually feels better now that we mixed out some than when it was 86/sweaty ball bag DP of 72 earlier this afternoon. End of the week our high temp could be almost 40 degrees cooler... Euro still looking dandy here in the long range.

Hope the euro is right with the big soaker friday.

up to 94 now..new record. actually feels better now that we mixed out some than when it was 86/sweaty ball bag DP of 72 earlier this afternoon. End of the week our high temp could be almost 40 degrees cooler... Euro still looking dandy here in the long range.

Hope the euro is right with the big soaker friday.

I hope so too. To put in perspective the magnitude of this heat wave, the hottest high temp last summer was 91, and in 2009 the hottest high temp was 94. To think that this was a cold spring, and yet we're only in early June and we're talking about temperatures we haven't seen in several years is crazy.

I hope so too. To put in perspective the magnitude of this heat wave, the hottest high temp last summer was 91, and in 2009 the hottest high temp was 94. To think that this was a cold spring, and yet we're only in early June and we're talking about temperatures we haven't seen in several years is crazy.

Last summer was just plain miserable because of the constant swamp ass it seemed like. Tons of rain in june and july too. August dried out nice and hit our high temp of 92 for the summer to end the month. If we don't get fridays rain that will suck and I might start getting a little worried about a real hot and dry summer. as of now, meh.. yeah its hot finally but its only lasting a few days.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

500 PM CDT MON JUN 06 2011

...AVERAGE NUMBER OF TORNADOES IN WISCONSIN EACH YEAR IS NOW 23...

WISCONSIN AVERAGED 23 TORNADOES PER YEAR FOR THE PERIOD OF 1981-2010.

PREVIOUSLY...WISCONSIN AVERAGED 21 TORNADOES PER YEAR FOR THE PERIOD

OF 1971-2000.

EVERY 10 YEARS...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ADVANCES THE TIME PERIOD USED

TO CALCULATE AVERAGES AND NORMALS FOR A VARIETY OF WEATHER PARAMETERS.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

523 PM CDT MON JUN 6 2011

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE AT MILWAUKEE TODAY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 94 DEGREES HAS BEEN SET AT MILWAUKEE

TODAY...MONDAY JUNE 6 2011. THIS BROKE THE PREVIOUS RECORD HIGH OF

93 DEGREES...SET IN 1925.

I think you have it backwards. June was the coolest month of the three summer months, although it had an epic heat wave later in the month with temps over 100. July and August were complete torch, after a cool first few days of July. I think towards the end of August, it started to cool down... but the first half of the month had brutal heat AND humidity (as the drought had finally broken towards the end of July).

Well at least this way that was the case.

The spring was a relative torch too, I believe the period in June was just a blip.

New shift in at LOT...

98/96 for Tue/Wed at ORD.

.DISCUSSION...

808 PM CDT

NO MAJOR UPDATES TO THE FORECAST TONIGHT. HOWEVER...I DID RAISE

TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY. TEMPERATURES TOPPED OUT IN THE LOW TO

MID 90S TODAY. I ANTICIPATE EVEN WARMER TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY AS

THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE CONTINUES TO TAKE A FIRM GRIP ON THE CENTRAL

UNITED STATES. SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL ADVECT IN SLIGHTLY WARMER

850 TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY. MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES 850

TEMPERATURES TOPPING 22 DEGREES CELSIUS ACROSS THE AREA. MIXING

THIS DOWN TO THE SURFACE YIELDS TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER

90S. DEW POINTS WILL ALSO LIKELY REMAIN IN THE MID TO UPPER

60S...WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN HEAT INDICES CLIMBING TO OR JUST

ABOVE 100. LITTLE RELIEF IS EXPECTED ON TUESDAY NIGHT...ESPECIALLY

IN THE URBAN AREAS...AS TEMPERATURES REMAIN IN THE UPPER 70S TO

THE LOW 80S.

ANOTHER HOT DAY IS EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY WITH HEAT INDICES

CLIMBING ABOVE 100 AGAIN. HOWEVER...A COLD FRONT SHOULD MOVE

ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND RESULT IN MUCH COOLER

CONDITIONS BY THURSDAY. WE COULD ALSO HAVE ANOTHER PERIOD OF

STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY AS WE

TRANSITION TO A COOLER AND MORE ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN.

A HEAT ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED FOR THE AREA FOR TUESDAY THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AS WE MAY APPROACH CRITERIA FOR A PERIOD.

Wow at the foretasted 83F low for downtown Chicago tomorrow night.

New shift in at LOT...

98/96 for Tue/Wed at ORD.

.DISCUSSION...

808 PM CDT

NO MAJOR UPDATES TO THE FORECAST TONIGHT. HOWEVER...I DID RAISE

TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY. TEMPERATURES TOPPED OUT IN THE LOW TO

MID 90S TODAY. I ANTICIPATE EVEN WARMER TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY AS

THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE CONTINUES TO TAKE A FIRM GRIP ON THE CENTRAL

UNITED STATES. SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL ADVECT IN SLIGHTLY WARMER

850 TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY. MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES 850

TEMPERATURES TOPPING 22 DEGREES CELSIUS ACROSS THE AREA. MIXING

THIS DOWN TO THE SURFACE YIELDS TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER

90S. DEW POINTS WILL ALSO LIKELY REMAIN IN THE MID TO UPPER

60S...WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN HEAT INDICES CLIMBING TO OR JUST

ABOVE 100. LITTLE RELIEF IS EXPECTED ON TUESDAY NIGHT...ESPECIALLY

IN THE URBAN AREAS...AS TEMPERATURES REMAIN IN THE UPPER 70S TO

THE LOW 80S.

ANOTHER HOT DAY IS EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY WITH HEAT INDICES

CLIMBING ABOVE 100 AGAIN. HOWEVER...A COLD FRONT SHOULD MOVE

ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND RESULT IN MUCH COOLER

CONDITIONS BY THURSDAY. WE COULD ALSO HAVE ANOTHER PERIOD OF

STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY AS WE

TRANSITION TO A COOLER AND MORE ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN.

A HEAT ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED FOR THE AREA FOR TUESDAY THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AS WE MAY APPROACH CRITERIA FOR A PERIOD.

Wow at the foretasted 83F low for downtown Chicago tomorrow night.

How can they forecast this, but not issue any heat statements? I sure hope the city is prepared to implement its heat emergency plan, even notwithstanding any warnings.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 81. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 104. Southwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Widespread haze. Mostly clear, with a low around 83. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: Widespread haze. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 96. Heat index values as high as 103. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

How can they forecast this, but not issue any heat statements? I sure hope the city is prepared to implement its heat emergency plan, even notwithstanding any warnings.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 81. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 104. Southwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Widespread haze. Mostly clear, with a low around 83. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: Widespread haze. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 96. Heat index values as high as 103. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

The criteria is (or at least was) different for Cook county. I don't think NWS can issue advisories there...it's either a warning or nothing. That's how it has been anyway.

The criteria is (or at least was) different for Cook county. I don't think NWS can issue advisories there...it's either a warning or nothing. That's how it has been anyway.

From the LOT criteria page...

Excessive Heat Warning - Extreme values of the heat index.

Chicago metro area:

1. 3 consecutive days with maximum heat index 100 to 105oF with at least 85% sunshine on two of the days, or minimum heat index 75oF or greater each day, or
  2. Two consecutive days with the maximum heat index 105 to 110oF, or
  3. 1 day with the maximum heat index 110oF or greater.

Remainder of northern Illinois and northwest Indiana:

Maximum heat index of 110oF or greater and minimum of 75oF for two or more consecutive days.

Heat Advisory - Maximum heat index of 105 to 110oF with a minimum of 75oF for two or more consecutive days. (Heat Advisories not issued for the Chicago metro area.)

Archived