• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 2011 general discussion/obs thread

DVN pulled the trigger on a heat advisory for most of the CWA. Pretty bullish on high temps today, as they're going with 96, and 97 tomorrow. Definitely agree as deep mixing and very warm mid-level temps, combined with dewpoints less than 70 should allow us to heat up quite a bit.

EDIT: RUC forecast highs later today are very impressive over Iowa. Widespread 100s, with even some 105+ showing up in southwest Iowa.

RUC_255_2011060611_F10_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WL COOP records should be safe for this Tuesday and Wednesday, but the Airport records are toast one would think.

June 7th

WL COOP Record High Temp: 101º - 1933

Purdue Airport Record High Temp: 95º - 1988

June 8th

WL COOP Record High Temp: 100º - 1933

Purdue Airport Record High Temp: 94º - 1988

MAV, MET, and MEX MOS seem content with both days at 93-94º. Too "cool" probably.

didn't expect mpx to pull the trigger on an excessive heat warning, but they did for minneapolis and st. paul

.HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA LATER THIS

AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. HIGH TEMPERATURES

IN THE 90S AND THE HIGHER HUMIDITY WILL BRING THE HEAT INDEX TO

THE MID 90S TODAY AND NEAR 100 ON TUESDAY. OVERNIGHT LOW

TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY DROP TO THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 70S FOR

TONIGHT AND TUESDAY NIGHT. THE INNER DOWNTOWN AREAS OF THE METRO

WILL BE THE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE TO THE HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS.

LOT mentions possible 100 degree readings, LM is going to heat up fast if we sustain temps like this for any period of time. Summer AC is on.

Fixed, but yeah...should be great beach weather. Enjoy. I'm headed over to my friend's pool this afternoon. I guess that's my beach fun, LAF-style.

On another note, I just flipped on TWC and according to wx chick on the TV, not a lot of people in the Midwest have AC. Not usually needed apparently. :arrowhead:

Couple weak rumbles of thunder and enough rain this morning to moisten the dust for a few hrs.. Beautiful out there now but I see the baby powder air is already creeping in from the west and south. Get through this torch and the Euro looks delicious through mid month up here. Loving this up and down pattern and should make summer flyby even faster than normal the longer we can sustain the pattern. Less than one month until the 4th of july! Month after that and we're already in to august --- or February if it was winter :thumbsup:

Slightly OT, but you know what is frustrating? Golf is constantly halted for inclement weather, even seeing storms when the PGA Tour stop's location is calling for no chance of storms, like today, yet here we can't get these interesting storms. I wish it was the other way around, so I could see my golf and get my storms. Instead it's exactly the way I don't want it.

Get anything up by you? looks like between me and you is the hot spot right now radar showing decent hail about 3 miles north of me.. Total whiff here with no rain even.. Looks like you should be getting a good down pour and thunder at least.

Couple weak rumbles of thunder and enough rain this morning to moisten the dust for a few hrs.. Beautiful out there now but I see the baby powder air is already creeping in from the west and south. Get through this torch and the Euro looks delicious through mid month up here. Loving this up and down pattern and should make summer flyby even faster than normal the longer we can sustain the pattern. Less than one month until the 4th of july! Month after that and we're already in to august --- or February if it was winter :thumbsup:

Euro doesn't look too shabby post 96 hours for here either. Death ridge starts showing up southwest of here in the later stages of fantasy land though. But I'm with you, up and down is fine, as long as there's enough downs to balance things out. :lol:

Fixed, but yeah...should be great beach weather. Enjoy. I'm headed over to my friend's pool this afternoon. I guess that's my beach fun, LAF-style.

On another note, I just flipped on TWC and according to wx chick on the TV, not a lot of people in the Midwest have AC. Not usually needed apparently. :arrowhead:

Whoops research fail there.

Get anything up by you? looks like between me and you is the hot spot right now radar showing decent hail about 3 miles north of me.. Total whiff here with no rain even.. Looks like you should be getting a good down pour and thunder at least.

Am working this morning at MU, but as of now there is no hail on the ground, so I assume we just got rain with occasional thunder. Looks like the storm rolled through the center part of the county, with Washington County getting up to golf ball size hail.

lolz...It's funny how some think midwesterners with no AC are the equivalent of Mexicans with no heaters.

Next week could go any direction...Another round of heat or a trend of normal temps. Euro & GFS showing a few signs of trying to build a ridge come mid next week.

Either way it doesn't look like any really below average temps are on their way.

I'm loving it too. If all summers could be like this I would be a happy camper.

I am enjoying the up and down too... I am NOT a hot weather person, but I can deal with it a couple of days at a time... It's when we get periods, like July last year, or back in 1995, when the heat comes in and stays in for days, or weeks on end, that drive me nuts. .

We should hit mid 90's tomorrow, and then probably mid 70's after Thursday.... LOT is saying upper 60's for Fri/Sat/Sun, but I don't think so. I got a new car with a sun (moon?) roof, so I am loving the nice days when I can cruise with it, and the windows open.

First official heat wave of the summer at Toledo. Officially, at Toledo Express Airport in Swanton, OH, highs the last three days have been 94, 90, and 90. The next two days are essentially guarantees at 90+, could even see a 95 or 96 on Wednesday. Thursday is about a 50/50 shot, depends on whether the rains hold off late enough. This is also the fifth 90+ reading of the season. Last year (another hot summer) didn't see the fifth 90+ reading until July 4th. Even hotter of late at Metcalf Field in Lake Township, where it's been 97, 91, and 92/93 the last three days.

This type of heat is very unusual for this early in the summer and could be a harbinger of things to come during the heart of the summer.

What's your reasoning behind this?

Common sense. It gets hotter later in the summer. After this week, some places will have 3 or 4 90+ readings already that have gone whole summers without hitting 90 once in recent years (like 2000, 2003, 2004). Usually if its this hot now, it only gets worse. I can't think of a recent summer that had a hot June only to peter out with a cool July and August. Summer isn't like winter where the pattern can change on a dime. Let's be honest, regardless of your thought on the matter, this is very hot for the first week of June. Southern Indiana was around 100 on Saturday, today its in the low 100s in parts of eastern NE and western IA. Even Houston and Galveston, Texas have been shattering records (Houston at 105 the last two days, it had never been above 104 in June before).That's hot (no trademark infringement of Paris Hilton intended)!

Any forecast that was banking on the wet ground saving us is already in jeopardy -- things are drying out fast!

What's your reasoning behind this?

Just because. :P

But really, the ridges seem to have more intense heat than usual this year and it may be some drought mechanism feedback playing into that. I hope we don't go into a drought here or else things may really get ugly.

Common sense. It gets hotter later in the summer. After this week, some places will have 3 or 4 90+ readings already that have gone whole summers without hitting 90 once in recent years (like 2000, 2003, 2004). Usually if its this hot now, it only gets worse. I can't think of a recent summer that had a hot June only to peter out with a cool July and August. Summer isn't like winter where the pattern can change on a dime. Let's be honest, regardless of your thought on the matter, this is very hot for the first week of June. Southern Indiana was around 100 on Saturday, today its in the low 100s in parts of eastern NE and western IA. Even Houston and Galveston, Texas have been shattering records (Houston at 105 the last two days, it had never been above 104 in June before).That's hot (no trademark infringement of Paris Hilton intended)!

Any forecast that was banking on the wet ground saving us is already in jeopardy -- things are drying out fast!

It may very well end up being a hot Summer in Ohio but common sense isn't a reason why. Just because the averages keep going up for another 7 weeks or so doesn't mean the pattern stays hot all Summer.

But really, the ridges seem to have more intense heat than usual this year and it may be some drought mechanism feedback playing into that. I hope we don't go into a drought here or else things may really get ugly.

This is actually the type of pattern that can make for interesting severe weather outbreaks here. Your area being hot and capped is what we need here for severe weather. :P

I know we've talked about this before, but it's retarded that Kenosha is under a heat advisory and Chicago isn't.

Last August 12-13th there was an excessive heat warning in effect for temps that were expected to be in the low 90's with a max HI between 100-105(all of which is below the criteria). At ORD temps reached 92F both days with a max HI of 97F both days...Lows were in the low-mid 70's (once again all of which is below criteria).

We should at least have an advisory(if not a warning) given this is a three day period of heat, which will likely end up being more extreme than that event was...especially since high temps have a good chance of making it to what the max HI was for both days of that event. This is also an early season event compared to the one last year which was mid season.

dang a few spots in western IA above 100.

Yep, very impressive. Sterling/Rock Falls is 95 currently, while Rochelle is 97. I think Rochelle's known for being too high sometimes though if I'm not mistaken. My 96 earlier was probably a few degrees too high too.

I actually love heat waves like this. Probably cause we used to have some impressive heat waves when I was a kid. I still remember the summer of '88 when we had numerous days above 100.

We haven't had a good old fashioned hot, drought in a while up here.

Last August 12-13th there was an excessive heat warning in effect for temps that were expected to be in the low 90's with a max HI between 100-105(all of which is below the criteria). At ORD temps reached 92F both days with a max HI of 97F both days...Lows were in the low-mid 70's (once again all of which is below criteria).

We should at least have an advisory(if not a warning) given this is a three day period of heat, which will likely end up being more extreme than that event was...especially since high temps have a good chance of making it to what the max HI was for both days of that event. This is also an early season event compared to the one last year which was mid season.

i'll be modestly surprised if we're not under a headline of some sort when i wake up tomorrow.

still 92 at ORD as of 5:51, good chance some places don't drop below 80 tonight.

Yep, very impressive. Sterling/Rock Falls is 95 currently, while Rochelle is 97. I think Rochelle's known for being too high sometimes though if I'm not mistaken. My 96 earlier was probably a few degrees too high too.

Numerous CWOP/APRS sites out in that area support the 95-97F readings.

Archived