• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June

LithiaWx

Interesting video from the local news today showing a tornado in Springfield, MA. Incredible shot:

Holy Moly, look at this tornado over the river in Springfield, MA. In addition to the typical things you expect to see, such as debris and the twisting funnel, look at the water which shows you a vivid example of how the air is flowing and spiraling into the base of the tornado. This is an extremely rare angle, enjoy. And let's hope nobody was hurt from this, clearly there was damage.

Posted by Eric Thomas WBTV on Wednesday, June 1, 2011

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think humidity is actually a little lower in August than it is in June, which is why August is typically drier than June and July with less pop up afternoon storms. June and July are our two big months for afternoon pop up storms due to all the humidity. Actually, I looked it up and Atlanta averages the same rainfall for June and August but the rainfall in August is much lower than July. Average temps in Atlanta are roughly the same for June, July, August, so i'm not sure why August gets a reputation for being the hottest month.

I would disagree with this in terms of humidity. On average, dewpoints tend to rise through May and June, peaking later into July and August. Sure, there are exceptions. Charlotte sported a 72 deg dewpoint today which is about as high as we ever see it here.

Interesting video from the local news today showing a tornado in Springfield, MA. Incredible shot:

Holy Moly, look at this tornado over the river in Springfield, MA. In addition to the typical things you expect to see, such as debris and the twisting funnel, look at the water which shows you a vivid example of how the air is flowing and spiraling into the base of the tornado. This is an extremely rare angle, enjoy. And let's hope nobody was hurt from this, clearly there was damage.

Posted by Eric Thomas WBTV on Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Me and Shaggy have family all over that area. In fact the video of the tornado going across the river and hitting the bridge is a bridge I have been over many many times, its surreal to see something like that there and there lots of really old homes and buildings that took a beating.

I would disagree with this in terms of humidity. On average, dewpoints tend to rise through May and June, peaking later into July and August. Sure, there are exceptions. Charlotte sported a 72 deg dewpoint today which is about as high as we ever see it here.

How do you explain the big dropoff in precip from July to August in Atlanta ? It would seem to me that it would be due to less pop up storms, which would be the result of less humidity. August can be very hot and dry in Atlanta.

Me and Shaggy have family all over that area. In fact the video of the tornado going across the river and hitting the bridge is a bridge I have been over many many times, its surreal to see something like that there and there lots of really old homes and buildings that took a beating.

Goodness. Hope the family is alright. Do any of the members live near the path that this tornado took? Certainly hope not. The way that the water was being sucked up and all the debris thrown so high in the air gave me a bad feeling that anyone affected by that storm was in for a very rough ride. You don't hear about tornadoes affecting places that far north often, so I bet this put a scare in the folks living up that way. Given the dynamics that were in place and their strength, it was bound to happen somewhere at some point.

Finding it hard to look at any weather right now cause seeing my forecast of 90+ with no chance of rain for the next seven days just seems rather boring. We are drying out quickly and the yards are browning fast. Will take a few pics later this week after they get a few more days of 90 and sunny skies on them.

The fire on the coast of NC is still burning and I was down on pamlico river fishing today and the smoke was choking so we left. Looked like a grayish black low fog deck all morning.

Ditto. It's depressing to see it hot in dry in the forecast as far out as it goes. Heard thunder a couple of times but the storms were small and didn't really move (nor did they make it to mby lol). If this keeps up will ne a long three months

I think humidity is actually a little lower in August than it is in June, which is why August is typically drier than June and July with less pop up afternoon storms. June and July are our two big months for afternoon pop up storms due to all the humidity. Actually, I looked it up and Atlanta averages the same rainfall for June and August but the rainfall in August is much lower than July. Average temps in Atlanta are roughly the same for June, July, August, so i'm not sure why August gets a reputation for being the hottest month.

This was your first mistake :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana:

:facepalm:

See the bolded

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Atlanta

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Georgia/humidity-august.php

I believe that one of the big reasons (probably the main one) that avg. dewpoints stay high and even peak well into August even though temp.'s are already then starting to fall (and sometimes even early September in some years especially near the coast) is that overall ocean temp.'s (not just near the coast) don't normally peak until around early September due to a lag of the warmest on land and the warmest in the oceans. This is because water takes longer to warm up (and cool down) vs. land seasonally.

Dang your drier down there. Downsloping....

My dp is much higher up here.

Hoping we get some storms today. SPC has us in a slight risk for severe. Here is the NWS forecast for my area. :whistle:

Today...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. Heat index readings 101 to 105. Southwest winds 5 to 15 mph.

Hoping we get some storms today. SPC has us in a slight risk for severe. Here is the NWS forecast for my area. :whistle:

Today...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. Heat index readings 101 to 105. Southwest winds 5 to 15 mph.

Argh. The AC struggles to keep the house below 80 once we start getting into the mid 90s and up here. At least we don't have the unbearable humidity of last summer. We had lows in the mid 70s here, upper 70s in the heat island of Atlanta. Hopefully this will be a "front loaded" summer.

How do you explain the big dropoff in precip from July to August in Atlanta ? It would seem to me that it would be due to less pop up storms, which would be the result of less humidity. August can be very hot and dry in Atlanta.

Do you have incriminating pictures of Lookout or something. He's being very tolerant. Atlanta still receives 3.67" of rain and that's not shabby. I would think the drop off is due to more tropical systems hitting GA in July than August.

Do you have incriminating pictures of Lookout or something. He's being very tolerant. Atlanta still receives 3.67" of rain and that's not shabby. I would think the drop off is due to more tropical systems hitting GA in July than August.

Hmm, doesn't make sense to me given that more than three times as many storms form in August than in July. Regardless of the drop off in precip August is certainly at least as humid as the other summer months, looking at the graph posted above and judging by the sweat stains on my shirt during that month :sun:

Finding it hard to look at any weather right now cause seeing my forecast of 90+ with no chance of rain for the next seven days just seems rather boring. We are drying out quickly and the yards are browning fast. Will take a few pics later this week after they get a few more days of 90 and sunny skies on them.

The fire on the coast of NC is still burning and I was down on pamlico river fishing today and the smoke was choking so we left. Looked like a grayish black low fog deck all morning.

I'm praying for some rain with this stalled front the next couple of days because I'm desperate for rain here. I pretty much completely missed out with the rain last week, managing only 0.25, and before that I had not had any significant rain in weeks iirc. gfs continues to offer hope here with some persistent scattered convection the next 48 hours or so. I sure hope I get something other than watching someone else get it.

Surprisingly the 0.25 did virtually nothing for the grass so it looks like the desert southwest or the plains hhere with dead grass and dust every time the wind blows. And with this heat, evaporation from the lakes/rivers/creeks will be very high so unless we can get lucky the next 2 days, I expect a rapid drop in levels since there is no sign of this heat letting up anytime soon.

This is why I hate summer. You can always count on oppressive heat, constant drought, stagnant patterns and airmasses and seeing all the grass burned to a nice toasty brown. It's rare nowadays it seems to not have a summer that features this for long stretches of time. I sure miss those summers that actually provided some action and rainfall, like that year we had all the tropical systems. If it was like that, I would be more tolerate of summer but summers with patterns like this suck major league poo.

I would think the drop off is due to more tropical systems hitting GA in July than August.

Based on my 30+ years of experiencing ATL weather, I think it is likely due to more days with popups in July than August. It seems to me that there have been a somewhat higher number of days in August than in July that had very little to no popup activity in N GA, especially later in Aug. In S GA, the dropoff from July to August in popups seems to be lessened vs. N GA. Perhaps it is due partially to the lower sun angle in August??

lol. I know what he says can be annoying but what he said doesn't rise to the level of taking any action, I'm sorry to say. As much as he has been annoying at times, I have to be fair. Trust me though, he's on thin ice.

That said though, it might be best to put him on ignore or just skip his posts bug you.

Based on my 30+ years of experiencing ATL weather, I think it is likely due to more days with popups in July than August. It seems to me that there have been a somewhat higher number of days in August than in July that had very little to no popup activity in N GA, especially later in Aug. In S GA, the dropoff from July to August in popups seems to be lessened vs. N GA. Perhaps it is due partially to the lower sun angle in August??

I would think it has to do more with stronger ridging in august than in june/july, as the bermuda ridge is often pretty strong in august.

Hmm, doesn't make sense to me given that more than three times as many storms form in August than in July. Regardless of the drop off in precip August is certainly at least as humid as the other summer months, looking at the graph posted above and judging by the sweat stains on my shirt during that month :sun:

I know that August has more storms but by that point a lot of them form in the open Atlantic. Early season development is closer to the gulf. I'm pretty sure that Alberto was in July. Dennis and the one before it in 2005 come to mind as July dumpers. I don't remember any big rain makers in August. I can think of plenty of September and October ones though.

lol. I know what he says can be annoying but what he said doesn't rise to the level of taking any action, I'm sorry to say. As much as he has been annoying at times, I have to be fair. Trust me though, he's on thin ice.

That said though, it might be best to put him on ignore or just skip his posts bug you.

I would think it has to do more with stronger ridging in august than in june/july, as the bermuda ridge is often pretty strong in august.

That sounds plausible. There does seem to be more easterly and southeasterly low level flow in Aug. vs. July, which I've noticed is often associated with more stable conditions over N GA vs., say, SW flow from the GOM. Over S GA, the E or SE flow isn't as dry and sometimes is pretty wet due to proximity to the Atlantic..

I know that August has more storms but by that point a lot of them form in the open Atlantic. Early season development is closer to the gulf. I'm pretty sure that Alberto was in July. Dennis and the one before it in 2005 come to mind as July dumpers. I don't remember any big rain makers in August. I can think of plenty of September and October ones though.

Tropical Storm Fay dumped a good bit of rain in August 2008.

I posted the following on 8/26/05 on a GA wx BB, which supports what you said here (more July dumpers than any other month):

Tropical cyclones that have produced 5"+ rain in ATL since 1879

While many tropical cyclones have produced up to 3" of rainfall in Atlanta, I've found only 14 tropical cyclones that have produced 5"+ rain in ATL 1879-2005:

1) The amazing thing is that FOUR of these 14 occurred 9/2004-7/2005!! Moreover, we've had SIX since 1994. The last one prior to 1994 was Flossy from all the way back in 9/1956!

2) The highest amount from any of the 14 was a very impressive 9" from both Opal of 10/1995 and T.C. #4 of 7/1887. The third highest was Alberto's 8" from 7/1994.

3) Seven of the 14 were in JUL, two in AUG, three in SEP, and two in OCT.

4) The most common single landfall area for the 14 was Ft. Walton Beach/Destin (FIVE of the 14). TWELVE of the 14 were Gulf coast hitters (range C LA to Panama City) while TWO were east coast hitters (including Jeanne from 9/2004.)

5) Most (ELEVEN) were moving NE, NE or ENE. One was moving N, one NNW and one WNW.

6) Closest approach of center to ATL for the 14:

- FOUR very close to ATL

- ONE extreme NW GA

- ONE Chattanooga

- THREE NE AL

- ONE SW AL (Dennis of 7/2005 in a very unusual location)

- TWO Macon

- TWO S GA

That surprises me that Atlanta got a lot of rain from Jeanne in 2004. We didn't get a drop of rain here in West GA. Do you know what the other east coast storm was that gave Atlanta 5"+ of rain ? And even though Jeanne was an east coast storm I think it actually was over a tiny part of the GOM for a short time. It came from the south I believe.

This is why I hate summer. You can always count on oppressive heat, constant drought, stagnant patterns and airmasses and seeing all the grass burned to a nice toasty brown. It's rare nowadays it seems to not have a summer that features this for long stretches of time. I sure miss those summers that actually provided some action and rainfall, like that year we had all the tropical systems. If it was like that, I would be more tolerate of summer but summers with patterns like this suck major league poo.

I couldn't agree with you more Lookout!!

Argh. The AC struggles to keep the house below 80 once we start getting into the mid 90s and up here. At least we don't have the unbearable humidity of last summer. We had lows in the mid 70s here, upper 70s in the heat island of Atlanta. Hopefully this will be a "front loaded" summer.

Heat pumps are useless in this heat! We had our AC charged last summer, but it's still struggling this week.

Archived