• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June

LithiaWx

I posted the following on 8/26/05 on a GA wx BB, which supports what you said here (more July dumpers than any other month):

Tropical cyclones that have produced 5"+ rain in ATL since 1879

While many tropical cyclones have produced up to 3" of rainfall in Atlanta, I've found only 14 tropical cyclones that have produced 5"+ rain in ATL 1879-2005:

1) The amazing thing is that FOUR of these 14 occurred 9/2004-7/2005!! Moreover, we've had SIX since 1994. The last one prior to 1994 was Flossy from all the way back in 9/1956!

2) The highest amount from any of the 14 was a very impressive 9" from both Opal of 10/1995 and T.C. #4 of 7/1887. The third highest was Alberto's 8" from 7/1994.

3) Seven of the 14 were in JUL, two in AUG, three in SEP, and two in OCT.

4) The most common single landfall area for the 14 was Ft. Walton Beach/Destin (FIVE of the 14). TWELVE of the 14 were Gulf coast hitters (range C LA to Panama City) while TWO were east coast hitters (including Jeanne from 9/2004.)

5) Most (ELEVEN) were moving NE, NE or ENE. One was moving N, one NNW and one WNW.

6) Closest approach of center to ATL for the 14:

- FOUR very close to ATL

- ONE extreme NW GA

- ONE Chattanooga

- THREE NE AL

- ONE SW AL (Dennis of 7/2005 in a very unusual location)

- TWO Macon

- TWO S GA

Thanks Larry. I'm used to you correcting my poor memory. I'm glad my thoughts were on the right track for once. You are incredible asset to this board. Thanks for taking the time to research and share with us.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh. The AC struggles to keep the house below 80 once we start getting into the mid 90s and up here. At least we don't have the unbearable humidity of last summer. We had lows in the mid 70s here, upper 70s in the heat island of Atlanta. Hopefully this will be a "front loaded" summer.

Yeah, we haven't had the kind of unbearable humidity we had last summer YET, but it is a lot hotter so far than it was last May and June. Kirk Mellish thinks it will be a "front loaded" summer and i hope he's right. I hit 98 yesterday and my hottest temp all of last summer was 97.

Heat pumps are useless in this heat! We had our AC charged last summer, but it's still struggling this week.

Heat pumps are good for about a 25-30 degree temperature difference between outside air and what it can cool to. So yea, if it gets 95 or so they start to struggle.

FWIW, when I worked for DeKalb County School System, most of those buildings had a design temp of 25-90. If you got anything above or below those temps you had trouble.

Heat pumps are useless in this heat! We had our AC charged last summer, but it's still struggling this week.

If you haven't already you might want to set your storm windows like you do for winter. While not a dramatic as in winter it does help lower the load a bit. The most effective saving in summer comes if you can eliminate direct sun from coming through any door or window into a room. Also check filters often.

Heat pumps are good for about a 25-30 degree temperature difference between outside air and what it can cool to. So yea, if it gets 95 or so they start to struggle.

FWIW, when I worked for DeKalb County School System, most of those buildings had a design temp of 25-90. If you got anything above or below those temps you had trouble.

I remember going to school during the August 2007 heatwave. With temps in the upper 90s to close to 100 every day (not sure if we cracked 100) the top floor was in the lower 80s by the time school let out. In all honesty it doesn't make sense to design schools to be able to maintain 72F when outside temps are over 90 (at least for my area). Most years you'll have a few days where the AC system is a bit overwhelmed before things cool off enough.

Thanks Larry. I'm used to you correcting my poor memory. I'm glad my thoughts were on the right track for once. You are incredible asset to this board. Thanks for taking the time to research and share with us.

You're welcome and thanks. No sweat as I just had to copy and paste from one of my old files. Until I had done this, I don't think I would have guessed July to have the most tropical related 5"+ deluges. By the way, I think that part of it is that steering currents in July may very well be the weakest thus resulting in relatively slow movement vs. other months.

If you haven't already you might want to set your storm windows like you do for winter. While not a dramatic as in winter it does help lower the load a bit. The most effective saving in summer comes if you can eliminate direct sun from coming through any door or window into a room. Also check filters often.

During a heatwave I feel like a hermit because we keep the blinds closed and stay in the house. .We have no trees that shade the house & at this point you can't even use the back porch due to the excessive heat.

During a heatwave I feel like a hermit because we keep the blinds closed and stay in the house. .We have no trees that shade the house & at this point you can't even use the back porch due to the excessive heat.

Bummer. I have big trees in my back and front that shade the house most of the day. My deck is in the east side of my house and gets about 1 hour of full sun. The rest of the time its shaded by trees and in the afternoon the house. I always have tree service guys knocking on my door wanting to know if I want them to cut the trees back that are close to the house. I always answer the same, "Thats what insurance is for." I love my trees.

BTW, if you can find a way to shade your heat pump it makes a big difference.

I hope someone gets to enjoy a rain cooled evening :)

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1066

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0150 PM CDT THU JUN 02 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...WRN CAROLINAS...NERN GA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 021850Z - 022045Z

STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY THROUGH

THE AFTERNOON WITH AN ISOLATED THREAT OF MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL AND

DAMAGING WINDS. GIVEN THE LACK OF VERTICAL WIND SHEAR...A WW IS

UNLIKELY.

A VERY UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT HAS DEVELOPED OVER THE REGION

CHARACTERIZED BY MLCAPE VALUES OF 4000 J/KG. WITHOUT A FOCUS FOR

CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT AND VERY WEAK DEEP LAYER SHEAR...STORMS WILL

STRUGGLE TO ORGANIZE. NEVERTHELESS...STEEP LAPSE RATES THROUGH THE

LOWER TROPOSPHERE WILL PROMOTE THE POSSIBILITY OF MARGINALLY SEVERE

HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS FROM STRONG DOWNDRAFTS.

..JIRAK.. 06/02/2011

ATTN...WFO...CHS...CAE...GSP...FFC...

the southern foothills and mtns of NC are getting development now, dropping south toward the Upstate. Sure would be nice to get something develop here.:snowman:Atleast tomorrow there will be slightly lower dewpoints working south.

some pretty impressive rains going on to our west, really hoping we can get a stray shower :arrowhead:

Big dewpoint difference in NC today. At 2PM, CLT at 91/68, while RDU is 92/49. That will translate to a noticeably cooler morning Fri AM as you go north torward the Triad and Triangle.

It's even closer than that...the dewpoint in the Westport area of Lincoln Co was in the low 50's this afternoon while Gastonia and Charlotte are in the mid to upper 60's. No fair.

raining here now. A small but intense cell with lots of lightning just to my north about 2 miles. Hopefully I don't get sandwiched btwn the 2 major lines.

Your cell is now warned :weight_lift:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

549 PM EDT THU JUN 2 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

CLEVELAND COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

WESTERN GASTON COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

WESTERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

SOUTHEASTERN MCDOWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

NORTHEASTERN RUTHERFORD COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

SOUTH CENTRAL BURKE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 645 PM EDT

Glenn Burns from Channel 2 in Atlanta just said this weather pattern should continue until June 20th, meaning highs in the mid 90s the next 18 days !!! If that happens this could go down as the hottest June ever in Atlanta.

And of course, Glenn mother f'n Burns has the best of reputations around here.

Glenn Burns from Channel 2 in Atlanta just said this weather pattern should continue until June 20th, meaning highs in the mid 90s the next 18 days !!! If that happens this could go down as the hottest June ever in Atlanta.

And of course, Glenn mother f'n Burns has the best of reputations around here.

That storm rapidly intensified over the Kings Mountain/Crowders Mountain State Park area

Yep, Thunder is getting louder as I type this. Estimated hail size is now 2.21" with this storm with some 70+dBZ showing up. Looks like places in Gaston county that got hit hard with hail in April may get hit again.

Quite an electrical storm. Lots of close CG bolts with some hail stones reaching golf ball size. Large branches are down. Interestingly enough, this storm has the looks of the April 9th event.

Current stats:

Gaston County, NC

Severe Thunderstorm

63 dBZ

Severe Hail: 70% Chance

Hail: 100% Chance

Max Hail Size: 1.75 in.

Top: 45,000 ft.

VIL: 63 kg/m²

Your cell is now warned :weight_lift:

* UNTIL 645 PM EDT

raining very heavy here now with hail

It was a nice storm for 45 minutes...even a little bit of hail. This is what used to be soooo common in Summer's past. Storms develop around the mountains in Henderson and Polk Counties and drift east southeast..thats' been extremely absent for so many Summers now. Anyway a nice 72 degrees outside...and the sun is shining. Picked up .25"

:thumbsup:

Archived