• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
SNE Countdown to Summer. 5/25-5/31 Obs Disco Inferno

HoarfrostHubb

You know it's bad when the debate centers on the exact definition of "muggy" vs. "humid".lol

All my life I have lived in SWRI except for the past ten years living in CNE CT, every summer I wondered what the complaints were all about, talk of high heat and humidity when every day on the beach featured a nice cool breeze with maybe 3 days a summer uncomfortable for a couple of hours. This map shows that well, living in the death valleys and urban corridors is pure wretched sticky hell. They all escaped to my hometown to enjoy the beaches and cool breezes then went home back to azz swamp while I listened to the ocean and felt the cool breezes. I now live on the edge of swamp hell but 4177f27a-c360-9b9b.jpgwork near enough to get occasional sea breeze relief, however I traded better winters for worse summers. Thank God my mom still lives down there so I can escape the hell days.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got off the mountain... still snow up there. Rather continuous snow cover starts in the woods around 3,500ft... but it is widely variable due to melt patterns this time of year. Still, I was impressed at how the temperature dropped about 15 degrees once you hit the snow line. Sort of like that feeling when you open the freezer door in mid-July and get blasted with cold air. Very, very refreshing.

First time I've ever wandered through snow while being in a Tornado Watch.

Nice. Building season is in full swing and I'm condemned to daydream about vast snowfields and avalanche chutes for an entire off season. It seems like just yesterday I was skiing pure blower powder. Now I have to read Kevin's torch proclamations and wait.

All my life I have lived in SWRI except for the past ten years living in CNE CT, every summer I wondered what the complaints were all about, talk of high heat and humidity when every day on the beach featured a nice cool breeze with maybe 3 days a summer uncomfortable for a couple of hours. This map shows that well, living in the death valleys and urban corridors is pure wretched sticky hell. They all escaped to my hometown to enjoy the beaches and cool breezes then went home back to azz swamp while I listened to the ocean and felt the cool breezes. I now live on the edge of swamp hell but 4177f27a-c360-9b9b.jpgwork near enough to get occasional sea breeze relief, however I traded better winters for worse summers. Thank God my mom still lives down there so I can escape the hell days.

Living in Lowell was the worst... summers were just awful.

Gorgeous here now 77.4/62

Just got off the mountain... still snow up there. Rather continuous snow cover starts in the woods around 3,500ft... but it is widely variable due to melt patterns this time of year. Still, I was impressed at how the temperature dropped about 15 degrees once you hit the snow line. Sort of like that feeling when you open the freezer door in mid-July and get blasted with cold air. Very, very refreshing.

First time I've ever wandered through snow while being in a Tornado Watch.

That is awesome. I want to move there (well, NH really, but VT would be fine)

Just nice but unremarkable weather. Certainly nothing to complain about. I'm sure we'll get a few days here and there that are hot and awful but that's summer. It's never for very long. People in Dallas can b*tch about the heat. Here, not so much.

One of the most beautiful things ever written Steve, brought a tear to my eye. In two months I will embark on my annual trip home to pawleys island south carolina, 2 miles inland, is a living hell. However, within a couple blocks of the beach usually features 80s with a constant seabreeze, often very windy, always refreshing............cant wait to get to heaven.............

I couldn't agree with you more... we all have our own thoughts on what "Gods Country" is... and to me - its the beaches of S RI... However... today is not one of S RI's finest... murky, low clouds, and fog all day. High was 65.

One of the most beautiful things ever written Steve, brought a tear to my eye. In two months I will embark on my annual trip home to pawleys island south carolina, 2 miles inland, is a living hell. However, within a couple blocks of the beach usually features 80s with a constant seabreeze, often very windy, always refreshing............cant wait to get to heaven.............

how did u and ur wife make a blonde and a red head? gotta love genetics!

I couldn't agree with you more... we all have our own thoughts on what "Gods Country" is... and to me - its the beaches of S RI... However... today is not one of S RI's finest... murky, low clouds, and fog all day. High was 65.

The ocean is a heat sink at this time of year, no question -

For some it is precious, for others it is a toxic disappointment. The preferences can be about as polarized as imaginable.

I enjoy both, but am reluctant to change... If I'm in, I'm in, and start diggin' it for what it is, eventually. I was in Meteorological culture shock the year I moved from a town in the Great Lakes, where torridity and tornadoes abound, to Rockport Mass. Rockport, as you know ...sticks half way out to England in the middle of the N Atlantic ocean. Okay okay, not that bad, but the climate makes it feel that way. You got breeze potential from 270 degrees of the dial. So many days in April and May that year, watching Dick Albert talk about how it was 84 in Framingham, and then having it be 58 with shrouds of ghostly fog dimming the sun to a pall orb, powerless to the terminous waters of the Labradore Current - even in mid July the ocean hurt your toes. But, after while, the sound of Gulls, and the taste of salt in the air, the smell of sea flora and low tide - can be rancid, understood, boats coming in and out of the Harbor, and the sound late at night of ocean waves crumbling to shore, it all grows on you. When you leave that behind, there will be times when you are nostalgically taken back for whatever reason.

And, it's not without its fun weather too. I was having this discussion with Scott a while back - you just have to commit to marine weather as your bag if you live on the Capes of Mass or immediate coast; once you do, you don't really try and fight and claw your way out of it, because there is no escape - you grow to accept it. You grown to love what it has to offer in its own right. One of my favorite discoveries as a young weather minded nerd that year was the power of the ocean during Nor'easters.. Once I saw 20+' walls of cold gray curling into earth moving torrents and experience beach erosion, bring it on! I couldn't care less how much it snowed that winter. I wanted see the wind and waves tell tales. I was rewarded for that thinking by 15" of OES ;) one day...

Then I moved to the interioir of SNE a year later, and actually, there are times where it is worse; because you don't get the full affect of the ocean, it just robs your convection or poisons your snow. There are times when I wish there could be commitment to one side or the other. That said, I think the variety wins my heart at the end of the day.

how did u and ur wife make a blonde and a red head? gotta love genetics!

claire is my stepdaughter, her red hair comes from my wife Julies father. Graham my son, his hair is much darker in the winter, but I had blonde hair until i was 6, baby pics of me next to him are identical LOL. Toe head!

My house topped out at 78.9F, so call it 79...

Work was a bit warmer. Car (parked in shade, sort of) read 82F when I left work, maxed out at 84 on Rte 2

The owls have been hella loud the last 2 nights. I swear 2 of them were on my front steps hooting at each other. Lil bastards. Hopefully they are filling up on mice etc

Archived