• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Why does this forum die in the spring/summer?

weatherwiz

Hard to get exciting about 50s and drizzle then read tens of torch posts and false severe threads, blah blah blah. If a TS threatens then people get interested, all weather interests me but banality sucks.

I already know the kind of responses I'm going to get but I think it's b/c 99% of the people in our region just don't care about the weather unless it's guaranteed to affect their backyard.

I know some other responses I'll be getting but waiting for them to be posted.

I already know the kind of responses I'm going to get but I think it's b/c 99% of the people in our region just don't care about the weather unless it's guaranteed to affect their backyard.

I know some other responses I'll be getting but waiting for them to be posted.

Seriously, start some intersting threads...

Discuss and disect something... You are good at that.

Really Paul. I mean it.

I would also suspect that the warmer weather is conducive to people spending more time outdoors than in the winter. And, with the exception of a few, tracking the potential for what typically is minimally severe weather pales in comparison to extremes in winter--snow and/or cold (the latter of which frequently is delayed/modified). Perhaps while the event is in progress it generates interest. Tropics typically are not factors region-wide (similar to winter events that only impact GC or a coastal storm that manages to dump on Nantucket). As such, winter weather is where it's at. Plus, 99% of us are snow lovers I think.

55.9/51

Bottom line is most people care about interesting weather they can actually experience. For up here that is mostly snow storms in the winter. Sure, we get some severe wx every now and then and in those times we actually have a pretty big outbreak, the forum becomes a lot more active again....however, you cannot predict those types of bigger outbreaks here until the last minute so there isn't nearly the model tracking relevance to it like in snow storms.

A passing thunderstorm is a novelty for maybe 20-30 minutes...its not a 12-16 hour excursion like a synoptic winter storm. The hit or miss properties of convection just don't make it as interesting for most people. If we had good geography and terrain to chase storms here, then it might be a little different, but we don't. Add onto it that most of our setups are under achievers, then its not surprising that people here just aren't into it as much as winter setups.

Simple, it's much less a weather (meteorology) forum altogether - it's a snow forum. I've been bitching about this for a long time - hahaha.

That, and ... when the weather gets nice people spend less time at there pcs and more time doing other things.

Simple, it's much less a weather (meteorology) forum altogether - it's a snow forum. I've been bitching about this for a long time - hahaha.

That, and ... when the weather gets nice people spend less time at there pcs and more time doing other things.

Well, some of stay for the whole year. You were the one who disappeared last year lol

The type of weather we get in New England is pretty dull outside of snow and the occasional short thunderstorm.

Maybe a derecho will swing through here this summer. Last year we got to endure Pete and Kev battling over temps

yipee

I'm here all year. The weather impacts me in one way or another everyday. Let's face it though, the weather in New England is pretty dull from May through September. We do Winter very well and that's about it. Really the only reason for staying on during the off season months is to stay connected with friends made here.

I bet you wouldn't last an hour outside in the heart of Winter. Even with technical gear. It would be fun to see you cry from the cold. Poor little southern belle.

What kind of forced, contrived pseudo-insult is "icep*ussies" anyway? It seems to imply the opposite of its intent.

Archived