Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road trip to the midwest?:scooter:

Update from the office on the blizzard warning.

".UPDATE...WILL BE ISSUING A BLIZZARD WARNING TO COVER COUNTIES IN ABOUNDARY SURROUNDED BY HIGHWAY 61 TO THE WEST...HIGHWAY 92 TO THENORTH AND HIGHWAY 83 TO THE EAST. CALLS TO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT INTHE OGALLALA AREA ARE INDICATING 5 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH NEAR ZEROVISIBILITY AND VERY STRONG WINDS. RADAR INDICATING A DEFORMATIONBAND SET UP ALONG THE HIGHWAY 61 CORRIDOR FROM ARTHUR TO IMPERIAL.ANOTHER DEFORMATION BAND WILL SET UP ALONG THE US 83 CORRIDOR AFTERMIDNIGHT WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW RATES AND INCREASING WINDS AFTERMIDNIGHT. H85 WINDS WILL PUSH 50 TO 60 KTS OVERNIGHT ACROSS SWRN NEBRASKA AS THE SURFACE LOW BOMBS OUT ACROSS NRN KS. INCREASEDACCUMULATIONS AS WELL ALONG THE CORRIDOR EXTENDING FROM HIGHWAY61...EAST TO HIGHWAY 83. WIND SPEEDS ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH NORTHOF HIGHWAY 92...SO THE WINTER STORM WARNING WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT."

i am wondering now after looking at those pics if some snow totals were boosted by roof snow..Think about it, i remember seeing less than an inch left on everyone's roof, all of the snow that would normally stick in a regular snowstorm on roofs blew to the ground.

i am wondering now after looking at those pics if some snow totals were boosted by roof snow..Think about it, i remember seeing less than an inch left on everyone's roof, all of the snow that would normally stick in a regular snowstorm on roofs blew to the ground.

personally when I measure, I drive around the block to an open soccer field because its the least "poluted" area I can find. Then I take 5 measurements to get an average. Not sure what other people do.

I've been saying that (and so has Dr. Robinson, NJ State Climatologist).

It is 87 and sweltering in florida, hate this and cant wait to get back up north. Im gonna melt. Too bad none of my friends were crazy enough to go north.

I wish we could trade places, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Luckily that weather is right around the corner.

Yeah dude I hate Florida so much...

Yeah keep that crap down there for now. I'm good with 2-3 months of the year being 80F+ and that's it. Florida's warm season goes from March to November, when highs are frequently 90+. May/June usually bring the strongest heat, before T-storm season kicks in.

Yeah keep that crap down there for now. I'm good with 2-3 months of the year being 80F+ and that's it. Florida's warm season goes from March to November, when highs are frequently 90+. May/June usually bring the strongest heat, before T-storm season kicks in.

Their severe/rainy season would be fun though with all the seabreeze boundaries and the juice you get by July/August. Definitely an interesting place to forecast that time of year, but it would totally suck when you just went from winter to 4 months of 80/60 and Sunny.

Yeah, not to mention very high humidity much of the time. Ugh it must be awful. Although all the thunderstorms would be fun to track, and of course so would the occasional hurricane. :devilsmiley:

How do people down there celebrate Christmas with temps in the 60's and 70's :lightning:

I flew to F.L on 12/25 this year when it was in the 20s. It was 78 and sunny when we landed. It was so weird to be driving with the windows open on Christmas. Then the next day it was in the 40s and cloudy all day while 1-3' feet of snow fell in the north, with even a few inches as far south as Georgia, and flurries came close to the GA/FL border.

Its a good thing my house "only" got 11-12" or I would've been pissed to miss out on 20-30" amounts!

Every KU has some roof blown snow off, but January 1996 and December 2010 were probably the more extreme ones due to drifting and roof blown snow.

I've been saying this for years...I didn't measure the 12/26/10 event...I tried during the blizzard of 96...My alleyway had 19" of snow depth with over 2" of melted core samples...I had a 4" plastic rain gauge and I measured the contents every six hours...I measured the snow before I emptied it for melting...I came up with 23.0" and about 1.75" of precipitation...My 23" is on par with the coop site three miles to my se...They measured 23.6"...It is impossible to get a accurate measurement unless it is in an open field that's level...The 1/26 storm had much more snow on the roofs of houses...

Is the visible section of that fence in the first picture really 27 inches?

yes. i just measured the height of the fence... ~31"

are you really going to doubt i got ~30"? ewr got 24 and i sat under the best banding for a longer amount of time

yes. i just measured the height of the fence... ~31"

are you really going to doubt i got ~30"? ewr got 24 and i sat under the best banding for a longer amount of time

To be honest, I think you got more than 30", I mean, I saw the radar loop again, just absolutely epic pounding for Summit-Springfield-Westfield areas.

Every KU has some roof blown snow off, but January 1996 and December 2010 were probably the more extreme ones due to drifting and roof blown snow.

The wind is a double edged sword, Compaction from the snow flake crystal being destroyed contributes to lower totals. So the the real question is, does compaction = roof snow? That would be some serious math!

Archived