• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

To be honest, I think you got more than 30", I mean, I saw the radar loop again, just absolutely epic pounding for Summit-Springfield-Westfield areas.

ehh, just imagine if there was no wind and everything stuck where it landed and no drifting..That is a ton of roof space and extra snow that got blow down on dec 2010. Even if the same happened during jan 1996, it doesnt take away from the fact that all that snow had to go somewhere. Still a KU, tho

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a parting gift from winter tonight on Mt. Zucker, have had some flakes mixing in from time to time...a few mangled ones just splattered on my driveway.

HPN at 41/35 so I can't imagine this will last long, and it's certainly been mostly a rain event, but still very cool for late April.

Definitely will be the last of wintry precipitation we see until November barring a freak event like May 10, 1977. Interestingly, the latest accumulating snowfall in modern times here in Dobbs Ferry took place on tomorrow's date...a few tenths accumulated on 4/24/1967 in what was certainly an unusual late winter/spring.

Looks like a parting gift from winter tonight on Mt. Zucker, have had some flakes mixing in from time to time...a few mangled ones just splattered on my driveway.

HPN at 41/35 so I can't imagine this will last long, and it's certainly been mostly a rain event, but still very cool for late April.

Definitely will be the last of wintry precipitation we see until November barring a freak event like May 10, 1977. Interestingly, the latest accumulating snowfall in modern times here in Dobbs Ferry took place on tomorrow's date...a few tenths accumulated on 4/24/1967 in what was certainly an unusual late winter/spring.

Wow, that's quite the achievement! I thought the closest any snowflakes got to us was Central PA and Upstate NY lol. Maybe this would have been a more memorable event had it taken a classic benchmark track. Everytime you bring up 1967 and 1996 it makes me sad because it makes me wonder what kind of winter we would have had with a weak la nina.....

Barely anything for us on that map. Euro only had 1.5" of rain thru 10 days for our area on last nights 00z..Other than storms and fronts once or twice a week , the big rains have moved out. Bring on summer

The new Euro is just coming out, and the NAM has been very dry for area for quite awhile. The GFS has 1.2" of rain alone for the next four days so there is a difference of opinion. The GEM is similar with between 25 and 30 mm. The low res SREF's are even wetter than the NAM which should be a red flag.

In any event, my post was not about NYC metro which is why I put it into the banter thread. :axe:

The new Euro is just coming out, and the NAM has been very dry for area for quite awhile. The GFS has 1.2" of rain alone for the next four days so there is a difference of opinion. The GEM is similar with between 25 and 30 mm. The low res SREF's are even wetter than the NAM which should be a red flag.

In any event, my post was not about NYC metro which is why I put it into the banter thread. :axe:

and mine was about our area..GFS is under 2" precip in 10 days as well.

Keep in mind, precip totals will be much higher in areas that receive convection. Models can't pinpoint exactly who gets convection, and just smooth out precipitation areas.

Keep in mind, precip totals will be much higher in areas that receive convection. Models can't pinpoint exactly who gets convection, and just smooth out precipitation areas.

understood, except even the simulated radars on the NAM don't have much of anything getting into our region except for possibly on day 3 or day 4 which is beyond its good range anyway.

understood, except even the simulated radars on the NAM don't have much of anything getting into our region except for possibly on day 3 or day 4 which is beyond its good range anyway.

I wouldn't know that, because I never use the NAM for any part of an operational forecast. But I'll take your word for it.

How do people down there celebrate Christmas with temps in the 60's and 70's :lightning:

Christmas down here is awesome. You haven't lived until you've sat poolside at midnight drinking a beer while kids are lighting sparklers.

If I ever move back north, I would come down here for Christmas every year if I could.

I hope this does not sound like a dumb question but with advance warning and tornado awareness being voice to the public why such a high loss in life down in the southeast? Seems like many took shelter and face a unfortunate outcome.

I hope this does not sound like a dumb question but with advance warning and tornado awareness being voice to the public why such a high loss in life down in the southeast? Seems like many took shelter and face a unfortunate outcome.

honestly, in an EF4/EF5 massive tornado you can't do much. And there were atleast 10 of them combined. They rape basements... and one story i heard of is an old lady was sucked out of her basement while her husband had a heart attack trying to save her. So when you combine a EF5 tornado with a populated area you are going to get a ton of deaths no matter what.. I hope all of the people who died, atleast died trying by taking cover and not doing something stupid like getting in car or trying to take a video.

Archived