• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part II

earthlight

El Nino in 2012-13! That's my prediction. Neutral after la nina isn't so good for us :(

Anyone who wants a lot of snow should also be rooting for a lot of heat the previous summer. Although it doesn't always work out, more often than not, scorching summers are followed by snowy winters in our area.

I think we actually go weak nino this fall and then a moderate nino the year after.

2011-2012 is going to be epic. Better than the last two.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2001-2002 was neutral? I thought it was a La Nina.

Neutral after a three year la nina, Ant..... 1998-99, 1999-2000 and 2000-01 were all la ninas after the big el nino in 1997-98 and progressively got snowier lol..... 2001-02 was the neutral transition year before the snowy el nino of 2002-03.

I think we actually go weak nino this fall and then a moderate nino the year after.

2011-2012 is going to be epic. Better than the last two.

It would have to be a NESIS 5 Blizzard a la JAN 1996 for it surpass the last two winters. :snowman:

Highly unlikely NYC has another amazing winter for 3 years in a row. Very rare for that to happen, if ever. 2002-2006 was an exception and that wouldnt compare to 2009, 2010 and a blockbuster 2011.

I think NYC will be 15-20" this winter. Hope Im wrong.

I agree but I think the winter following that will be a blockbuster with a mod or strong el nino.... along the lines of 57-58 or 02-03.

Highly unlikely NYC has another amazing winter for 3 years in a row. Very rare for that to happen, if ever. 2002-2006 was an exception and that wouldnt compare to 2009, 2010 and a blockbuster 2011.

You are wrong. This is going to be an epic winter with nonstop snow and cold. Its will be a very weak Nino with intense and prolonged blocking.

You are wrong. This is going to be an epic winter with nonstop snow and cold. Its will be a very weak Nino with intense and prolonged blocking.

It's interesting the connection with torching summers and big snow winters-- the connection doesnt always work in the reverse but usually when we dont have a strong enso signal when you have a torch summer its followed by a snowy winter.

It's interesting the connection with torching summers and big snow winters-- the connection doesnt always work in the reverse but usually when we dont have a strong enso signal when you have a torch summer its followed by a snowy winter.

Its coming, stock up on shovels and sell them to Anthony in the winter for 10x the amount you paid.

I don't know man, we're basically in uncharted territory solar wise, unlike anything we've seen since the 1800s, which we all know was a very snowy century for NYC. No one thought this past winter could produce historic snowfall totals in a mod/strong La Nina, nevermind already after a historic winter. Extreme blocking for two consecutive winters.

A lot depends on how the Sun behaves over the coming months from my standpoint. If things fall into place, yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big winter. My early guess however right now would be much less snowfall but with a cold/very cold regime in the US.

I don't know man, we're basically in uncharted territory solar wise, unlike anything we've seen since the 1800s, which we all know was a very snowy century for NYC. No one thought this past winter could produce historic snowfall totals in a mod/strong La Nina, nevermind already after a historic winter. Extreme blocking for two consecutive winters.

A lot depends on how the Sun behaves over the coming months from my standpoint. If things fall into place, yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see another big winter. My early guess however right now would be much less snowfall but with a cold/very cold regime in the US.

Agreed, but I think we should start sounding the alarms for an historic 2012-13 winter with a moderate el nino and plenty of arctic cold :)

Cold and dry?

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the 1st day of the winter countdown. From here on out, we lose about a minute a day of sunlight, right until Dec. 20th.

:weight_lift:

YES! Soon the heat mongers will be hibernating and we don't have to read a post every two minutes about KEWR's high temperature and 10 day gfs maps for heat releases.

Archived