• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April 4-6 Severe Weather

Thunderclap woke me up from a sound sleep. It appears that the line bowed out and outraced the main convective line. It is firing new cells, however, I think I'm going to overall dodge a bullet.

But I couldn't believe the cell in question how fast it's moving in the SVR WX Warning.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC 525 AM EDT TUE APR 5 2011 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... EAST CENTRAL BEAUFORT COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA... BERKELEY COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA... CHARLESTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA... SOUTHEASTERN COLLETON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA... EASTERN DORCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA... * UNTIL 630 AM EDT * AT 523 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM...NEAR ADAMS RUN...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 85 MPH. OTHER SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MAY QUICKLY DEVELOP OVER THE WARNED AREA. PREPARE NOW FOR THE FOLLOWING HAZARDS... DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH... QUARTER SIZE HAIL... * SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE... RAVENEL...DELEMAR CROSSROADS...MIDDLETON PLACE...ARCHDALE... LADSON...COLLEGE PARK...WANDO...CAINHOY...MONCKS CORNER... PINOPOLIS... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A TORNADO WATCH IS ALSO IN EFFECT. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE TORNADOES SUDDENLY...SOMETIMES WITH LITTLE OR NO WARNING. IF YOU SEE OR HEAR A TORNADO...MOVE QUICKLY TO AN INTERIOR ROOM IN A STURDY STRUCTURE. && LAT...LON 3300 7935 3303 7953 3279 7973 3278 7990 3270 7987 3260 8000 3247 8032 3249 8050 3248 8047 3241 8042 3238 8064 3279 8046 3328 8044 3329 8026 3343 8022 3351 8009 3351 7996 3332 7974 3313 7927 TIME...MOT...LOC 0924Z 216DEG 73KT 3280 8025 $$

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say that this location thoroughly dodged a bullet. The winds didn't really even get that strong. I had one good thunderclap and about 5 minutes of heavy rain, and I am taking a wild guess that the seabreeze boundary did some dirty work on this line as it approached the Coastal Counties, however, I think this QLCS will be classified as a bonafide serial derecho event.

sounds like a lot of people had 70mph winds. I wish to high heavens I had had the cam pointed right at where I was watching through the woods when it was lightning, you can hear the winds but not see their effects on the vid, but I definitely saw some severe wind effects with the trees. The sound is etched in my memory, sounded terrible.

It woke me up about 1:20 with huge hail slamming against my window pushed by the insane winds. Got up and looked out and it was like a hurricane. I wish this would have came through during the daylight hours.

45 mph gust last night, plenty of hail, thunder and lightning. Amazing that the power never went out.

I was thinking the same thing. It was so windy and it didn't even flicker. I ended up with over 1.5" from the looks of my rain gauge. The lightning went on forever.

Still raining here with some gusts but overall, it wasn't a major event in this area (at least not my neighborhood). Woke up around 5 a.m. to one huge gust and a few claps of thunder, with rain hitting the windows, but after that it was pretty tame. I have heard reports of trees down in Kenly, which is about 15 miles away, but nothing here. No outages or even flickers. It seems like during these types of systems, Wilson County gets the brunt of the bad weather (see our tornado record in the past few years), but we got lucky this time.

Wind has been pretty consistent since yesterday morning - even overnight, with ear plugs in (we have some snoring issues in the household :arrowhead:) I could still hear the wind roaring. No large branches down but lots of small limbs. We do have a lot of very large old trees in our neighborhood, which seems to up the wind noise factor, but man, I'll be glad when it settles down and its not that dull roar anymore for a while! It's been like living in a seashell for the past 24 hours or so.

What a storm folks.... I had fallen asleep right before it hit... So when the C/G lighting began to hit hard it woke me. Within one minute of waking the winds picked up to a level that I have never have witnessed before. Hail was smacking the windows, ;the wind felt like it was trying to push or house off the foundation.. I assume that we were about to get nailed with a Tornado. Got the wife and ran down the hall to get our son (if you have kids you know the rule...Never EVER wake a sleeping child unless it is life or death) but before my wife did I told her to stop.

The wind began to die down a little and I assumed the worst was over.

Went outside to check on the chickens and pony, TREE DOWN!!!!

As seen below... Could have been worst... Hope all the SE crew is OK this morning!!

post-501-0-02748900-1302004356.jpg

What a storm folks.... I had fallen asleep right before it hit... So when the C/G lighting began to hit hard it woke me. Within one minute of waking the winds picked up to a level that I have never have witnessed before. Hail was smacking the windows, ;the wind felt like it was trying to push or house off the foundation.. I assume that we were about to get nailed with a Tornado. Got the wife and ran down the hall to get our son (if you have kids you know the rule...Never EVER wake a sleeping child unless it is life or death) but before my wife did I told her to stop.

The wind began to die down a little and I assumed the worst was over.

Went outside to check on the chickens and pony, TREE DOWN!!!!

As seen below... Could have been worst... Hope all the SE crew is OK this morning!!

Bummer on the tree. Looks like it was a nice one for the yard. Takes many many years to get that big and to just lose it just like that.:thumbsdown:

Here in Dahlonega I didn't see or hear any hail....just heavy rain and thunder and lightning. Top gust was 40mph but I'm sure it was higher as my gauge is only 6 feet off the ground but it is out in an open field area.

1.41" of rain total.:thumbsup:

125 roads closed due to downed trees and powerlines in Mecklenburg county this morning. Looking for more wind reports and it looks like the ASOS in Gaston Co was knocked out as the storms went through. Driving my daughter to school today and it looks like my street was in a relative lull with only some small and a few medium sized limbs down. As I drove about a mile away where the school was there were some large limbs down and a good sized pine tree had been snapped off about half way up.

Clearly one of the stronger storms in a while. It was raining sideways so the total amounts will be skewed somewhat.

Trees and power lines down in places in and around Monroe. I did not lose power but 250,000 are without power in Mech. County.

I'm tired...did not sleep that much last night. :(

Wow....what a storm :wub: I don't have any trees down in the yard, and I don't see any shingles scattered around either. Not sure exactly how strong the winds were, but the basketball goal was knocked over and it takes at least 65mph winds to topple it. The airport recorded this.....0503:56W 47 G 75 2.00Thunderstorm Rain Squalls and WindyBKN030CB OVC0377163

There was some small pea sized hail along with some very heavy rains. I picked up .43 :drunk: Thanks everyone for posting the video/pictures :wub:

Snow

30.7 Degrees

Wind - 19/G 27

awesome. I also watched it cover the webcams at beech and sugar. How much snow have you got in April? I know Beech was at 131 or so on March 29, but they haven't updated their totals since then, but I wonder if they are getting close to the record which I think is 137.

Hope you can stay out of the wind today. I bet its brutal.

HOLY smokes what a storm in South/Southwest Charlotte. The southern part of the city is in complete gridlock. Major intersections and highways closed. The biggest one (Near my office) 3 or 4 power poles down. Est from WCNC of 90 mph winds.

Whoa! Is that 51 just before 485? Crazyness...I was surprised more trees weren't down in my neighborhood. I live about 5 - 10 minutes from where that picture was probably taken. Never mind I see you said southwest...I'm on the southeast side.

Burger, It is the intersection in Pineville near CMC. My office is right there. Weird. YOu can literally walk down one of the busiest streets in Charlotte. (Hiway 51/Pineville/Mathews) and not worry about traffic. I think 3-4 poles are down.

Whoa! Is that 51 just before 485? Crazyness...I was surprised more trees weren't down in my neighborhood. I live about 5 - 10 minutes from where that picture was probably taken. Never mind I see you said southwest...I'm on the southeast side.

Burger, It is the intersection in Pineville near CMC. My office is right there. Weird. YOu can literally walk down one of the busiest streets in Charlotte. (Hiway 51/Pineville/Mathews) and not worry about traffic. I think 3-4 poles are down.

Oh OK I guess technically we are on the southwest side but thats a debate for another day! Yea I live right behind Quail Corners and it wasn't too bad. I exptected more but I see 51 got hit pretty durn hard. Amazing. Might have to drive up there at lunch and see the damage myself.

Archived