Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April 4-6 Severe Weather

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing in Asheville this morning and was 35 at the time. Very windy right now with a few flakes/rain showers.

the radar shows a few streamers coming off the mountains. A very dark streamer made it right over my head, very cool and cloudy here now at 52. Was beautiful and sunny a few minutes ago

post-38-0-32642000-1302012731.jpg

Second video finally ready. This contains the main attraction of the storm itself from high wind to hail. :) Intense lightning around 1:27. Still got powerful lightning going on even now.

Great stuff thats pretty much how it sounds during a hurricane the constant background rumble of wind and the higher pitched shrieks of localized gust. I bet you had a 1 min wind average close to 50-60 mph and prolly hit a few peaks of hurricane force during that time, a rare thing indeed.

I havent had a event like that here since May 2004, though I have chased a few thunderstorms and gotten into some decent downburst.

We got totally screwed surprise surprise peak gusts of 45-50, no lightning/thunder very much a ho hum event here.......again

Twas a good one here too. Just before 3am it rolled through here at 80mph according to the NWS. Had a tornado warning but this morning all damage locally seems to be from straight line winds. Several school systems closed primarily due to power issues. I lost a big limb from my biggest oak tree but otherwise just the usual small branches scattered around like any other vigorous thunderstorm.

My wife and I were asleep when my 90 pound dog dove onto the bed. Damn thing was shaking so bad I flashed back to the days when you could put a quarter into a cheap motel room bed. All in all a memorable event.

Last night was infact some rock n' roll for the Western Carolinas...I'm at my lunch break working off about 3 hours of sleep last night. Ended up getting .62 in the rain gauge. I'll be interested to see if the NWS finds any tornado touchdowns, I'm sure they are out doing survey's today.

BTW, it's windy and 53...

Congrats to all of those who got some action! Where I was in Moore County went through a weaker part of the line. Some gusts over 40 and a few rumbles but nothing to write home about and no signs of damage. Looks like some stronger cells moved up the line and hit the FAY area just to my east. Ahh well the long wait begins for the next chance.

Wow....what a storm :wub: I don't have any trees down in the yard, and I don't see any shingles scattered around either. Not sure exactly how strong the winds were, but the basketball goal was knocked over and it takes at least 65mph winds to topple it. The airport recorded this.....0503:56W 47 G 75 2.00Thunderstorm Rain Squalls and WindyBKN030CB OVC0377163

There was some small pea sized hail along with some very heavy rains. I picked up .43 :drunk: Thanks everyone for posting the video/pictures :wub:

:thumbsup: Glad to see you got hammered without the damage. I have two neighbors who have trees down, one was a decent sized oak. I think that might have been what I heard last night when I thought it was the pecan trees. Fortunately they didn't hit their house. At the time i heard it though it sounded like a 747 down there..amazing roar. Side note, I Picked up 0.75 of rain.

I have lots of small to medium size limbs in the yard. Widespread reports of wind damage across the county, as well as neighboring counties. Watching the atlanta news this morning, Sadly, several people were killed due to trees falling on them. Two of them was a father and his young son. Watching his girlfriend on tv trying to talk about it was tough. Really felt bad for her.

I don't know if I ever remember a line of storms that caused this much wind damage over such a large area. This was truly a pretty rare event I think. It certainly was here because I almost never see a truly severe storm associated with a line of storms that originate west of atlanta. Like robert, I will remember this for a long time.

Wind today is still brutal, gusting above 40 mph several times this morning. Hopefully there aren't any weakened trees that could come down with winds like this.

Evidently a Derecho came through Charlotte and surrounding areas last night. That's what has caused the extensive damage.

:thumbsup: Glad to see you got hammered without the damage. I have two neighbors who have trees down, one was a decent sized oak. I think that might have been what I heard last night when I thought it was the pecan trees. Fortunately they didn't hit their house. At the time i heard it though it sounded like a 747 down there..amazing roar. Side note, I Picked up 0.75 of rain.

I have lots of small to medium size limbs in the yard. Widespread reports of wind damage across the county, as well as neighboring counties. Watching the atlanta news this morning, Sadly, several people were killed due to trees falling on them. Two of them was a father and his young son. Watching his girlfriend on tv trying to talk about it was tough. Really felt bad for her.

I don't know if I ever remember a line of storms that caused this much wind damage over such a large area. This was truly a pretty rare event I think. It certainly was here because I almost never see a truly severe storm associated with a line of storms that originate west of atlanta. Like robert, I will remember this for a long time.

Wind today is still brutal, gusting above 40 mph several times this morning. Hopefully there aren't any weakened trees that could come down with winds like this.

Thankfully all is good here....you wouldn't know it by all the dots on the SPC map...you can't even see my county...Few trees down in our county (Troup), but no damage here at the homefront....storms went through around 11:45 or so....heard one loud crackle on the house....sure it was a wind gust....that was about it....Stayed up all nite til the storms passed around 1230 am...weather changed really rapidly around here....last nite at 730 I was out walking the dog and the breeze was cool and crisp...and I wondered if there would be any storms here at all.....wind was fiercest before the storms hit.....I could not have gone to sleep if I wanted to! Winds were really gusty.....anyway, around 11pm I saw that the storms were approaching.....went out to get the dog, and boy had the air mass changed!!! It was that muggy sticky feeling you get right before you have bad storms....and I knew we were in for it! Several roads had trees blocking them during the night.....We did not lose power, but a guy that lives near me posted on Talkweather that he had lost power for several hours....My little area of the county seems to have been spared the worst.

The amount of reports is impressive. Perhaps that means me being shafted was rare event in this case lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Evidently there was quite a bit more damage around my neighborhood than I thought. Several large trees are down, a few onto houses. I plan on taking a walk and getting some pics which I'll post later. I can actually see quite a few downed tress from various windows in my house. The wind must have really gotten cranked up because it takes a lot more wind to blow down trees without leaves. Guess I was lucky because I love my big trees.

Well chances are if you lived in NC or SC last night, you were under a warning at some point. Seems like most will verify as well!

GSP.png

Up over 1100 reports on SPC!

yesterday.gif

LOL I am right in the hole in the blue (at the west edge of it anyway in Moore County in central NC). That looks about right.

Evidently there was quite a bit more damage around my neighborhood than I thought. Several large trees are down, a few onto houses. I plan on taking a walk and getting some pics which I'll post later. I can actually see quite a few downed tress from various windows in my house. The wind must have really gotten cranked up because it takes a lot more wind to blow down trees without leaves. Guess I was lucky because I love my big trees.

I took a look around this morning myself and saw no damage which confirmed my suspicion we passed through a weakness in the line. Glad to see none were on your house.

I took a look around this morning myself and saw no damage which confirmed my suspicion we passed through a weakness in the line. Glad to see none were on your house.

Me too. Grabbed my cam and the battery is completely discharged. :thumbsdown: Charging it now so it will be a bit before I can get some shots.

This is what we had waiting for us when we got to work this morning:

208241_1880776895469_1122700685_32190330_5243681_n.jpg

Whats up with your obs. Surely its not 74 in Charlotte and 55 here. You're also showing SW winds. Looks like it lost power and is showing pre-frontal stats from last night.

Archived