• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA Thread

Just had a heavier snow burst here in altoona.....nothing accumulating but it was heavier then the microscopic flakes mags observed earlier.

Yea gettin some general light snow up here now. This stuff is probably gonna be harmless for awhile until it gets toward dark or if we get a really heavy burst before that point.

Also, got a pretty stiff breeze outside too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fly to Texas next Wednesday, that's why I was curious. Hopefully it'll stay cool down there ... it was blazing hot last weekend at my parents' home.

Have a safe trip. I envy you, I am kind of getting sick of the cold and want it to be warm.

I mean, I was off yesterday and had to wait until afternoon to do some garden work because the ground was still frozen! axesmiley.png

Dumb question for the pros or amateurs much smarter than me - is it more likely to get frozen precip to fall at higher temps in the spring than in winter? It seems that way.

In winter we usually have 850's below 0 then surface is as well. Spring even though 850's maybe well below 0 surface is usually quite warm due to the time of year. So i'd say ya that is the case.

In winter we usually have 850's below 0 then surface is as well. Spring even though 850's maybe well below 0 surface is usually quite warm due to the time of year. So i'd say ya that is the case.

Yeah I'd think that even though the 850's can be quite cold, the greatly increased solar radiation would lead to a greater number of incidences where surface temps are well above freezing and the precip is still falling and staying frozen...also probably a greater chance of a very shallow warm layer?

Dumb question for the pros or amateurs much smarter than me - is it more likely to get frozen precip to fall at higher temps in the spring than in winter? It seems that way.

A big part of it is thicknesses as well. We've got sub 540's in place right now. That's cold for this time of year, even though sfc temps are up a bit.

A big part of it is thicknesses as well. We've got sub 540's in place right now. That's cold for this time of year, even though sfc temps are up a bit.

As the precip is moving in my temps here are dropping.

I was at 44 with flurries over an hour ago and now it has dropped to 39.

Snow is picking up in intensity but not accumulating yet.

Since there's about 3 days of free JB left before his new company has him available only to subscribers.. might as well put on a link to his snowmap and disco. It's the first time i've ever seen him draw one since his Accuwx blog never allowed him to draw stuff or put on pics. Got pretty good part of PA in a general 3-6, with a 6+ nw of the big cities once to NEPA/NY and New England.. looks relatively reasonable..especially if hes including the first wave.

http://www.weatherbe...=blog_home_page

Timing is going to be key... he mentions the heavy snow report in Terre Haute, IN yet because of the daytime hours nothing accumulated. Looks like most of this first wave is going to be virga for now because temps are in 40s or upper 30s for most of the state and dew points are in 20s. I think the areas that get the heaviest precip tomorrow night between 2am and 6am could get decent accumulation but I just dont see it happening during daylight hours (edit: except for highest elevations and possibly northeast PA).

Though I just looked at the HRRR maps and it is def not what I was thinking for next several hours... http://rapidrefresh.....gov/hrrrconus/

As the precip is moving in my temps here are dropping.

I was at 44 with flurries over an hour ago and now it has dropped to 39.

Snow is picking up in intensity but not accumulating yet.

Good to know. Thanks for the update

WSW's issued for NE PA.

Per CTP, Harrisburg's point forecast says "A slushy snow accumulation of up to one inch" overnight. The March 31 Harrisburg daily snow record is 1.8". Getting jazzed by a 1" potential is pretty weak but hey - a shot at the record? - why not.

Timing is going to be key... he mentions the heavy snow report in Terre Haute, IN yet because of the daytime hours nothing accumulated. Looks like most of this first wave is going to be virga for now because temps are in 40s or upper 30s for most of the state and dew points are in 20s. I think the areas that get the heaviest precip tomorrow night between 2am and 6am could get decent accumulation but I just dont see it happening during daylight hours (edit: except for highest elevations and possibly northeast PA).

Though I just looked at the HRRR maps and it is def not what I was thinking for next several hours... http://rapidrefresh.....gov/hrrrconus/

Mansfield, OH, accumulating during day time there. Of course, it's a factor, but not a total dealbreaker depending on rates. Along with the image below, have seen snow accumulate during April in daylight a fair amount of times, just not as good as night:

US30-EB-SR39-Large.jpg

My co-worker yelled at me "I hope you're happy, it's freaking snowing outside."

Uh oh. Sounds like you've come out of the weenie closet at work? I try to keep things low key here and watch in amusement to all the gyrations caused by our hideous local TV mets.

Mansfield, OH, accumulating during day time there. Of course, it's a factor, but not a total dealbreaker depending on rates. Along with the image below, have seen snow accumulate during April in daylight a fair amount of times, just not as good as night:

US30-EB-SR39-Large.jpg

Not that much here yet, but everything is covered. Roads are even slushy. Impressive rates.

Uh oh. Sounds like you've come out of the weenie closet at work? I try to keep things low key here and watch in amusement to all the gyrations caused by our hideous local TV mets.

Yeah, I even do a forecast for people via Twitter.

laugh.gif

Radar is down for maintenance? unsure.gif

Yeah, that kinda sucks.

Not that much here yet, but everything is covered. Roads are even slushy. Impressive rates.

Wow....I had no idea. Looked at http://www.511pa.com/Traffic.aspx and couldn't get over it.

Archived