Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here was the hour 87 snow probs on the 21z SREF that was posted on the old thread.. throwin it on here. GFS 0z run looked a lil bit south this go around, some light-moderate into far southern PA. I suspect there's a better chance of a northern trend with this than anything else.

post-1507-0-31722100-1300944599.gif

Last evening was nuts. We just got home from practice when that storm rolled in. Great lightning and the thunder sounded like a bowling ball rolling across the top of the mountain. I didn't realize it was doing anything but raining until my daughter said something, so i'm not sure if it was hail or sleet, but the roads and yards were covered frozen for a brief period. The heavy rain took care of that then.

32 and Still misting in the Harrisburg area..

For me at least, yesterday was about the worst weather day of the year in term of the bleh factor. Mid 30's, light rain and drizzle, low ceiling, a bit of a breeze - just rude. But was cool to see things light up last night.

Two nights ago was Weather World's Long Shot segment where they use purely analog techniques to make a longer term prediction. I can't recall what factors they used but their prediction was for a June torch with the bullseye being at least one PA station seeing 100F sometime in June.

And last night, they did their climate watch which looks at the month ahead. Their forecast? Below average highs with at least 5 days 10F or more below normal. That seems safe seeing what's currently in the 7 day outlook.

So per our Penn State friends - chilly April, torch June. :angry::thumbsdown::facepalm::axe::weep::cry::gun_bandana:

Rant time:

I watched Tom Clark from WNEP forcast 1-3 inches for yesterdays mess. that was for the Wyoming valley area. The NWS had the same area in a winter storm warning and had totals of 6 to 11 inches. we had close to 9 inches by the time everything was said and done. He answer, "I had the totals undercut". Even the other shift mets there had shown models that had a lot more snow. I have been a weather fanatic most of my life, and I know they get forcasts wrong. But to sweep it under the carpet is wrong. ARGGG!!!!!!

He should have said I made a mistatke and here is what happened...

Early indications show advisory snows across the MD line counties. I'd say 2-4" right now look like a good bet.

what, Adams, York and Lancaster? And this is for Sunday/Monday? GFS is showing 1.6" for MDT on the 27th, then some ice on the 30Th.

Edit: Looks like we struggle to even get to 40 even into next week. I guess we won't be playing any ball soon.

what, Adams, York and Lancaster? And this is for Sunday/Monday? GFS is showing 1.6" for MDT on the 27th, then some ice on the 30Th.

Edit: Looks like we struggle to even get to 40 even into next week. I guess we won't be playing any ball soon.

Yeah, the weather is really going to play havoc with spring sports schedules. We've been fortunate that we've gotten outside about 7 or 8 times already.

Had some light snow earlier down here, the sky is SLOWLY clearing now.

Yeah, the weather is really going to play havoc with spring sports schedules. We've been fortunate that we've gotten outside about 7 or 8 times already.

Had some light snow earlier down here, the sky is SLOWLY clearing now.

yep, we had some flurries too earlier. For awhile it looked like it wanted to clear, but going back to darkness again...

We too have been outside for awhile and even had a scrimmage Tuesday. I hate having to go back to the gym when we have already been on grass. Y aknow what i mean.

Rant time:

I watched Tom Clark from WNEP forcast 1-3 inches for yesterdays mess. that was for the Wyoming valley area. The NWS had the same area in a winter storm warning and had totals of 6 to 11 inches. we had close to 9 inches by the time everything was said and done. He answer, "I had the totals undercut". Even the other shift mets there had shown models that had a lot more snow. I have been a weather fanatic most of my life, and I know they get forcasts wrong. But to sweep it under the carpet is wrong. ARGGG!!!!!!

He should have said I made a mistatke and here is what happened...

I agree with you. Earlier his totals was higher and then he dropped the totals. And he said he felt confident doing it.

The other week he was only calling for an 1" for us. And when we got 9" he didn't mess up. It was a surprise!

He has always been conservative...when stations and agencies are calling for 4-6" he is calling for 1-3".

And I don't really understand why that is.

The one I will never forget, he was calling for a dusting to an 1" and we ended up getting 18"

Myself I don't like their forecasters that well. But my wife likes watching the news at supper. So I'm stuck watching it.

He sure is a well dressed forecaster..does that count for anything? :lmao:

Festus

A chilly April and a torch June . I can't really say I'm looking forward to a torch June.

Thanks for The Weather World heads up. It's good to know what we might have to look forward to.

lol. i just had confirmation, we are still playing our High School softball game today...its like 36 degrees?! and the JV plays riight after our game at 6 pm.........wtf

No way my kid will use her $400 compsoite bat........

Good luck with that one. My boy's got 2 composite's that I spent I don't even want to say what on, and he's used his "good" one only once...last Friday.

It's tough right now...I'm in communication with our other coachs about practice tonight. Head coach says it's too cold. I said, okay, but umm, when do you think it's going to be warm enough. He says...tomorrow? To which I reply...how about in 2 weeks?

I know that some, okay, a lot of us on here aren't right in the head with our weather obsessions, but really, it's amazing how many people have no clue what is going on from day to day. Hey, it's spring now...it has to be warm...right? (what THEY say)

yep, we had some flurries too earlier. For awhile it looked like it wanted to clear, but going back to darkness again...

We too have been outside for awhile and even had a scrimmage Tuesday. I hate having to go back to the gym when we have already been on grass. Y aknow what i mean.

I used to love the gym baseball in high school - until about mid-March then I was ready to get out there.

Unless it was like this. I never liked it, lol.

Good luck with that one. My boy's got 2 composite's that I spent I don't even want to say what on, and he's used his "good" one only once...last Friday.

It's tough right now...I'm in communication with our other coachs about practice tonight. Head coach says it's too cold. I said, okay, but umm, when do you think it's going to be warm enough. He says...tomorrow? To which I reply...how about in 2 weeks?

I know that some, okay, a lot of us on here aren't right in the head with our weather obsessions, but really, it's amazing how many people have no clue what is going on from day to day. Hey, it's spring now...it has to be warm...right? (what THEY say)

Weather-related memories are always bad.

I see Potter....you see the Euro?

I just did.. dear god! Not sure if you have any access to to precip amounts but its something on the order of like 1.5-2.5" of QPF (snow) for most everyone in here. Maybe this one doesn't pull the disappearing act todays system pulled

Archived