• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential widespread snow event for Wednesday Night through Thursday.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has come north...not a massive jump, but maybe a solid 30-40 miles. Maybe an advisory event up to the pike rather than just a dusting to an inch. But a definite trend north, mid-levels as scooter would say look a lot better.

Good call Ray...it does look between the Ukie and the GFS/GEFS. Very nice commahead signature in the mid-levels but qpf isn't that great. Again, qpf is about 0.25-0.30 in the pike region and maybe slightly more into CT to 0.30-.40...and slightly less in YBY.

But the upper and mid-levels are definitely healthier than 12z.

Good call Ray...it does look between the Ukie and the GFS/GEFS. Very nice commahead signature in the mid-levels but qpf isn't that great. Again, qpf is about 0.25-0.30 in the pike region and maybe slightly more into CT to 0.30-.40...and slightly less in YBY.

But the upper and mid-levels are definitely healthier than 12z.

AIT

All I needed to see....game on for a nice 3-6" sf.

AIT

All I needed to see....game on for a nice 3-6" sf.

Hopefully this comes in just a shade stronger than models have it in the plains and everything else is status quo for the most part...that would put us right near ground zero. The mid-levels actually look really sweet. Not as good as the GFS, but pretty good. Just get that 5h shortwave a little more amped and we are game on as it will erode the dry air confluence more effectively to allow that very good mid-level fronto and deformation to get to work.

Significant elevated convective outbreak going on north of the warm front tonight in two areas - over eastern SD/southern MN, and in a long narrow band from N IL/IN ESE to central OH and WV.

Both the NAM and GFS are (surprise, surprise!) too far south with both areas of convection, and the NAM barely shows either area. The GFS has a broad representation of both areas of convection but is missing the narrow, heavy nature of the bands.

Even SPC was caught off guard by how far north the t'storms formed in the Plains:

NW/SE ORIENTED BAND OF STORMS IS EXPECTED TO FORM

BETWEEN 03Z-06Z...FIRST ACROSS NERN NEB/NWRN IA THEN EXPANDING NWD

INTO SD...MN...AND PERHAPS SWRN WI OVERNIGHT.

The storms never formed across Nebraska but instead developed further north, across SD/MN and extreme NW IA.

This also argues for a more amplified, further north trend in the Wed/Thu system.

It looks like CT and up to pike region MA are in the best ML fronto on the WSI maps for the Euro...eying the isotherms. Never underestimate that aspect despite qpf...esp if you get a situation where low level dry air is overcome like this might be in a late Mar plains system that might be juicier. Hard to say how strong it will be...because differences in strength in the plains could make a big difference.

Significant elevated convective outbreak going on north of the warm front tonight in two areas over eastern SD/southern MN and in a long narrow band from N IL/IN ESE to central OH and WV. Both the NAM and GFS are (surprise, surprise!) too far south with both areas of convection, and the NAM barely shows either area. The GFS has a broad representation of both areas of convection but is missing the narrow, heavy nature of the bands.

This also argues for a more amplified, further north trend in the Wed/Thu system.

Probably good news for this area Justin.

Still concerned about the block though...but often spring time convection and just general extra moisture compared to mid winter systems can take charge and move storms north (which matches climo). But still worried about some confluence. The block is quite strorng, but so is that stuff in the plains...and we did just have the Euro go north a good tick with all its heights. So I'm cautiously optimistic at a decent event for a decent chunk of Southern New England...with CT right now being the best area.

Significant elevated convective outbreak going on north of the warm front tonight in two areas - over eastern SD/southern MN, and in a long narrow band from N IL/IN ESE to central OH and WV.

Both the NAM and GFS are (surprise, surprise!) too far south with both areas of convection, and the NAM barely shows either area. The GFS has a broad representation of both areas of convection but is missing the narrow, heavy nature of the bands.

Even SPC was caught off guard by how far north the t'storms formed in the Plains:

NW/SE ORIENTED BAND OF STORMS IS EXPECTED TO FORM

BETWEEN 03Z-06Z...FIRST ACROSS NERN NEB/NWRN IA THEN EXPANDING NWD

INTO SD...MN...AND PERHAPS SWRN WI OVERNIGHT.

The storms never formed across Nebraska but instead developed further north, across SD/MN and extreme NW IA.

While this is important for the Midwest folk, it doesn't mean too much downstream. As Will said, the confluence will take a northward low ESE anyway. The 00z GFS is edging southward. The 00z UKMET/ECMWF solutions are the best in my opinion for a track of the h85 low from NW PA to C NJ.

A day without skiing is like a day without snow. Yuck.

5" fresh up here from yesterday/last night. I'm off from work for the rest of the week so a ski is in order today. I dropped my skin-bag (lol) with skins inside on the trail somewhere while skiing on Sunday so I need to go find that. Good thing I have a back up set of skins. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where I dropped it, so hopefully it won't be too hard to find.

Archived