• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter returns with a vengeance thread again

Damage In Tolland

Definitely more of a wintry pattern at H5 with the block over Hudson Bay so we'll see how it goes. Maybe Will can elaborate. Snowman.gif

Looks like NYC gets about .3" QPF as snow for the Wednesday event, less further north. Would be all snow at my place but only a couple inches. I just need 2.5" to pass last year, however, and I intend to get it...by hook or by crook!

Hudson Bay block is ideal for a late-season Nor'easter. With the PNA spiking around March 30th, we might be able to sneak two wintry events in. 12z ECM has -15C 850s down to NYC at Day 8, talk about a rude awakening from the warmth...parts of upstate NY and NNE are near -20C at 850mb. That's a brutal airmass for this late in the season. Hopefully we get a moderate overrunning event on March 24th and then a bigger coastal around the end of the month as the western ridging becomes favorable for such an event.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely more of a wintry pattern at H5 with the block over Hudson Bay so we'll see how it goes. Maybe Will can elaborate. Snowman.gif

One thing is for sure, that block is going to make it below normal for its lifetime in terms of temps...which looks to be at least a week starting post-Monday. We might as well try to muster an event out of its air mass. The block teleconnects and joins forces with the N Atlantic ridge after about D5 and they shakes hands over Baffin Island/Davis Straight...so if the models are correct, that is a very stable feature which won't move for several days keeping a colder airmass over the northeast. If we can just get one of these shortwaves to amplify into it enough, then we have something.

Its the block we were waiting for to come back earlier this month after we lost it in the middle of January.

Looks like NYC gets about .3" QPF as snow for the Wednesday event, less further north. Would be all snow at my place but only a couple inches. I just need 2.5" to pass last year, however, and I intend to get it...by hook or by crook!

Hudson Bay block is ideal for a late-season Nor'easter. With the PNA spiking around March 30th, we might be able to sneak two wintry events in. 12z ECM has -15C 850s down to NYC at Day 8, talk about a rude awakening from the warmth...parts of upstate NY and NNE are near -20C at 850mb. That's a brutal airmass for this late in the season. Hopefully we get a moderate overrunning event on March 24th and then a bigger coastal around the end of the month as the western ridging becomes favorable for such an event.

We just had a nice talk about it, and he mentioned dropping a post about it to fire up the troops..lol. I gotta run, but the airmass on the euro is frigid, Reality comes back tonight folks.

One thing is for sure, that block is going to make it below normal for its lifetime in terms of temps...which looks to be at least a week starting post-Monday. We might as well try to muster an event out of its air mass. The block teleconnects and joins forces with the N Atlantic ridge after about D5 and they shakes hands over Baffin Island/Davis Straight...so if the models are correct, that is a very stable feature which won't move for several days keeping a colder airmass over the northeast. If we can just get one of these shortwaves to amplify into it enough, then we have something.

Its the block we were waiting for to come back earlier this month after we lost it in the middle of January.

LOL look how connected the block is on the euro ensembles.

The Canadian shows the block too, but not to the extent of the euro and euro ensembles. Still, all the major ensemble models shows this. Now we just play the timing game and hope for the best.

LOL look how connected the block is on the euro ensembles.

The Canadian shows the block too, but not to the extent of the euro and euro ensembles. Still, all the major ensemble models shows this. Now we just play the timing game and hope for the best.

Yeah seriously. Its the block we were waiting for...but it came at the end of the month instead of early or middle. Hopefully we don't waste it but there is always a chance...and the chance is even greater later in the season when there isn't quite the margin for error....though at least the airmass this block will plant over the region will give us a lot more wiggle room than is normal for late March.

What a day....snow finally melted enough to reveal the keys that I lost, while shoveling in January.

High of 68*

Now 64.6\28

Still snow cover in the most sheltered areas around town.

Posted in the other thread.

We had better capitalize on this miserable cold, or I'm gonna wanna head-butt infants.

Posted in the other thread.

We had better capitalize on this miserable cold, or I'm gonna wanna head-butt infants.

Yeah it would be a downer to now capitalize on the mid level cold. If its sunny, we might get a high of 40-45F...though maybe even 30s on the colder days. Either way, it sucks.

Very neat. If I was in the 70's I would love that effect (or it could be red flag time)

No skiing for me tonight. Chilling with the 4 yr old, watching Barbie videos

Back for the attack Sat and Sunday, maybe fresh snow Monday, Weds

Way to stay after it Dave. One good thing about the longer days is I can easily get some skiing in after work.

Way to stay after it Dave. One good thing about the longer days is I can easily get some skiing in after work.

Have you been at the Beast much, or mostly backcountry/Snowbasin?

I can't believe that WaWa is still planning on 21 of 22 trails being open Saturday.

I wonder how long the NH mountains will be open to. Sunapee in April might be fun

Have you been at the Beast much, or mostly backcountry/Snowbasin?

I can't believe that WaWa is still planning on 21 of 22 trails being open Saturday.

I wonder how long the NH mountains will be open to. Sunapee in April might be fun

I've been doing a little of everything but I've been focusing on backcountry. I need to get my stamina up for AK so I've been doing lots of steep ascents.. My friends there are animals. If you want to ski through April you'll be able to Dave. Plenty of snow.

The high was 57 here before noon - then it held in the 53-56 range all afternoon with a very stiff wind. Bad enough, but thank god I don't get downsloped. No 80's wanted here till June thanks..actually never if I had my way.

47 now.....

NEWARK 80!!!!

BDR 59 to 76 in one hour as those downsloping winds kicked in...............wow I got my 75 +1!!

The high was 57 here before noon - then it held in the 53-56 range all afternoon with a very stiff wind. Bad enough, but thank god I don't get downsloped. No 80's wanted here till June thanks..actually never if I had my way.

47 now.....

Yup, if I never hit 80 again that would be fine by me.

62 at exit 5 rte 3.. Staggering actually this is gorgeous.

Amazing how big of a fail winter has been in the late innings.

Too warm for me. I was hoping to stay below 70 today, but even along the coast with the cold Long Island Sound once those winds turned more northerly it spiked into the mid-70s right along the water, even at places like JFK, never mind some metro NYC stations breaking into the 80s for the first time this year. Bet Home Depot will have the ACs out on display tomorrow.

I'd throw the caveat out that Monday could get a bit warm in some spots...esp in S and SE areas. Otherwise you'll have someone bump that post when its 50F+ on Monday in the warm sector. But other than that...yeah this is it for awhile on the mild temps.

Gee, I wonder who you were referring to.

Someone in se Plymouth, I'll bet.

Too warm for me. I was hoping to stay below 70 today, but even along the coast with the cold Long Island Sound once those winds turned more northerly it spiked into the mid-70s right along the water, even at places like JFK, never mind some metro NYC stations breaking into the 80s for the first time this year. Bet Home Depot will have the ACs out on display tomorrow.

I'm thinking of putting the snowblower in the shed for the year, but that might be tempting fate...

...heyyyyy, that's a good idea! Lalalala-lock it in

I see BOS hit 70 today...1st time since 10/28/10.

Definitely cold next week but it doesn't look like anything more than a token snow wise. However with the potential of a digging system and cold in place...who knows? Either way....rubber band appears to be snapping back to cold....hopefully it snaps back warm no more than a few weeks from now. if it must be cold, give me some snow please. Otherwise, late March is worthless with highs in the 30s and dry.

Archived