EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 10 - March 11 Redux Event

tornadojay

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it is starting to slowly fill in on the radar, some strong bands also present once again, much like the event of a few days ago, looks to be a slightly broader region this time though...

Coming down in buckets in Elizabeth NJ right now with ripping winds. Radar is locked and loaded to the south. The HRRR may be on to something

Look at the rainfall rates in the last hour. A .25-.50" of rain over the last hour with pockest of .50-.75. Flash Flood watches might need to be hoisted in addition to the River Flood Warnings.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=okx&product=N1P&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Rising faster than scheduled, no suprises here

http://water.weather...1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"

and thanks guys for coming to my defense. I don't know why people in NY are telling me what the weather is like in NJ.

Good luck to you guys in the flood area tomorrow and Saturday and thanks for posting this link. I will be crossing the GW Bridge around 2PM tomorrow and heading out route 80 to 23 north. I hope 23 is passable at that time.

Serious question.

We had a nor'easter in April a couple years ago that dropped a record 8"+ in NYC and vicinity.

What did the flood areas do during that storm? That storm is double to triple today's event.

I can't ever recall such panic for 3" of rain when we've had many events of 5"+. Including an 8" event in the last couple years.

If rivers are rising so rapidly with today's 3", what the hell did they do doing a real event, where we got 8"!?

Serious question.

Serious question.

We had a nor'easter in April a couple years ago that dropped a record 8"+ in NYC and vicinity.

What did the flood areas do during that storm? That storm is double to triple today's event.

I can't ever recall such panic for 3" of rain when we've had many events of 5"+. Including an 8" event in the last couple years.

If rivers are rising so rapidly with today's 3", what the hell did they do doing a real event, where we got 8"!?

Serious question.

I think the fears are for river basins, we had an epic snowpack in these areas and to the north, flooding should be confined to these areas as well as parts of western li sound as easterly winds for the last 36 hours have pushed water into this area and it has no way to evacuate combined with snowmelt and river flooding.

I think the fears are for river basins, we had an epic snowpack in these areas and to the north, flooding should be confined to these areas as well as parts of western li sound as easterly winds for the last 36 hours have pushed water into this area and it has no way to evacuate combined with snowmelt and river flooding.

Gotcha. That 8" nor'easter was early April and also had the same snowfall melt to the north.

And that storm was a big time nor'easter.

What happened in the flood areas of Jersey then if today's not that big 3" storm is a serious flooding threat?

I'm not being sarcastic. Anyone recall the flooding during that much more severe event?

Serious question.

Serious question.

That storm is #3 on the historic crests list for the river gauge nearest my home. There was major flooding in my neighborhood. Roads washed away, Retaining walls collapsing. The only 2 in my lifetime that were worse were 1984 and Floyd. Actually March of last year came a little higher in my yard than the April storm and that only dropped about half of the rain. I don't think Floyd is on the list due to some shuffling of which gauge was the official one at the time.

The big deal is that we just had a heavy rain event with 3-5 inches of rain, combined with heavy snow melt, probably equally the 8 inches you are talking about, now add to that another 3-5 inches of rain and you can understand. It is like having 2 hurricanes in 4 days.

Gotcha. That 8" nor'easter was early April and also had the same snowfall melt to the north.

What happened in the flood areas of Jersey then if today's not that big 3" storm is a serious flooding threat?

I'm not being sarcastic. Anyone recall the flooding during that much more severe event?

The big deal is that we just had a heavy rain event with 3-5 inches of rain, combined with heavy snow melt, probably equally the 8 inches you are talking about, now add to that another 3-5 inches of rain and you can understand. It is like having 2 hurricanes in 4 days.

That April Nor'easter also had snowmelt in the north.

While the major flooding events in Long Beach are from severe nor'easters and hurricanes,October 2005 was at

the top of the list for very extensive basement flooding from torrential rainfall.

Worst I've seen in the NYC boroughs was definitely the record breaking 8" rainfall of the April nor'easter of a couple years ago. I believe 2007 (someone help me).

Most rain ever in NYC in a 24 hour period. That storm also had strong winds. I believe it was a powerful cutoff that just sat over the BM for 2 days.

Worst I've seen in the NYC boroughs was definitely the record breaking 8" rainfall of the April nor'easter of a couple years ago. I believe 2007 (someone help me).

Most rain ever in NYC in a 24 hour period. That storm also had strong winds. I believe it was a powerful cutoff that just sat over the BM for 2 days.

That storm also had the lowest pressure that I ever saw around here for the month of April.

500_070416_12.gif

huge cutoff low that stalled out, and obviously way more extreme than tonights event..

If you're referring to the April 2007 event, yes, it is the second worst flooding event on record for New Brunswick. Bound Brook floods commonly, but the Raritan actually completely spilled onto Route 18 and Rutgers had its infamous "Flood Day" where classes were completely cancelled. The river crested at 38.38', its second highest ever. So yes, it was a huge deal. Here are some pics:

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/04/codey_to_nj_stay_home_today_64.html

Route 18 in New Brunswick:

2w33sw5.jpg

462783639_2ca78e4658.jpg

If you're referring to the April 2007 event, yes, it is the second worst flooding event on record for New Brunswick. Bound Brook floods commonly, but the Raritan actually completely spilled onto Route 18 and Rutgers had its infamous "Flood Day" where classes were completely cancelled. The river crested at 38.38', its second highest ever. So yes, it was a huge deal. Here are some pics:

http://blog.nj.com/l...e_today_64.html

Route 18 in New Brunswick:

2w33sw5.jpg

462783639_2ca78e4658.jpg

Floyd flooding was crazy.,,

Intersection of Route 18 and Commercial Ave

raritan2_big.jpg

raritan3_big.jpg

Downtown

raritan4_big.jpg

Yes, April 15-16, 2007, a storm I will never forget. The low got down to 968 mb (equivalent to a Cat 2 hurricane). That was easily the second-biggest rainstorm I've ever experienced in my life and NJ's second biggest rainstorm of all time (only to Floyd). Totals in this area were around 6-7 inches. And then on the back end the rain changed over to a period of sleet and snow.

Bound Brook and Manville were devastated by the floods from that nor'easter; it was their second-worst flood of all time (only to Floyd). And it would only be another three years before they would get devastated by yet another flood from last year's March 13-14 nor'easter. The park right by my house was also completely inundated by the Raritan River. Here's downtown Bound Brook on 4/16/07:

800px-Boundbrook041607.jpg

And Manville:

94f911664.jpg

But April 2007 was historic.

Tax Day Nor'easter...had 5" of snow in Central VT before it changed to rain in the valley, mountains were socked with 12+. Can't believe there was that much flooding here. I remember walking home in Hurricane Floyd in 1999, believe the town had 7" of rainfall with major flooding all over the place, winds were also crazy that day as I couldn't bear to wrestle with the umbrella after a while to stay dry. Conditions were just insane on that walk home from school, one of my greatest weather memories ever, and then the next day was a 2-hour delay.

Obs:

RA

46.4/45

1.57" total rainfall

Archived