• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Threat Thread

ski MRG

This post goes against everything I believe in...

BUT

if you extrapolate the 180 hr GGEM you can see that storm turning into a huge bomb off the NE coast.

I'd like to see more northern stream involvement :axe:

seriously though, it is getting interesting if not commical already how we are collectively peering over the charts and routinely being greeted upon successive guidance runs ways by which the atmosphere will fail to produce what it is that collectively everybody really wants: snow.

Heh, what's actually happening is that one run shows a chance, then obliterates it on its next immediate run, while a different model then argues for a chance ...summarily to obliterate that one. Back to the GGEM - 'maybe it will be this one', dropped on the next run? All the while, each offering was different amid an overall similar regime of -PNA/-NAO proving to be a nightmare to model performance. No middle and extended range is ever going to be THAT great given the current state of the art in modelling, but this is REALLY bad.

I digress.. . The 12z CMC is actually not a bad continuity off the 00z - the 00z just had slightly more phasing earlier on, and that drove the system in whole west of New England. Here, we see less phased solution - or perhaps as Will intimated, a later phase, which would time better for the locals. But, at the end of the day, BRAVO! We finally have a model that has a similar system across two whole runs - holy mosis I didn't think it possible!

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went to Montreal in 7th grade with my French class that's how the weather was the entire time we were there...was from Thursday-Sunday I think. It was basically cold and windy with snow showers basically on and off all day long and sometimes they would come down pretty heavy...it was pretty awesome.

i was just tihnking about this Wiz...

we have stretches where it snows every day, most days, but doesnt amount to much.

personally, im kind of done with that, unless we have a significant snowpack we are adding too.

its more of a nuisance to me otherwise. for example, its been like that in ottawa for the past week or so (i was just there for the holiday).....just nuisance underfoot stuff, even though the grass is visible everywhere. november sun doesnt do much on it so the slush just sits there all the time.

its messy and id honestly rather just lurk in a snowstorm thread or get a snowstorm myself.

this board has allowed me to change my views on how i enjoy snow, and enjoy snowstorms hundreds of mies away....im grateful for that.

I digress.. . The 12z CMC is actually not a bad continuity off the 00z - the 00z just had slightly more phasing earlier on, and that drove the system in whole west of New England. Here, we see less phased solution - or perhaps as Will intimated, a later phase, which would time better for the locals. But, at the end of the day, BRAVO! We finally have a model that has a similar system across two whole runs - holy mosis I didn't think it possible!

Yep and the Euro showed something similar at 00z and if we can get it to follow on we will have 2 successive model runs from 2 different models in general agreement. This is quickly becoming the primary threat in my mind.

Yep and the Euro showed something similar at 00z and if we can get it to follow on we will have 2 successive model runs from 2 different models in general agreement. This is quickly becoming the primary threat in my mind.

Well ... honestly I'm not all that optimistic. My statement was half born out of frustration for constant phantom systems ...all models being guilty of. Regarding the one you are talking about though; one thing I know is that the CMC has a high-amplitude bias out in time - it could easily be just too strong with that system. In fact, until the NAO relaxes it is going to be hard to get a S/W strong enough to operate on the flow.

Atlantic domination in a strong Nina. :lol:

We laugh but in way couldn't you see this coming ...?

There has been an on-going solar minimum that really correlates well with -AOs.. Since the NAO overlays part of that domain, that's a heavy hand there. There is that, and the AMO has flipped signs and continues to descend. These two factors are pointing toward a -AO/-NAO bias...probably not just last year and this year, but perhaps spanning a decade if you believe Joe D'Aleo and other scientists...

It's a factorization that seems to be the best fit for explaining last years phenom -NAO (M/A folk were very blessed) and just as valued in my opinion as a baser forecast foundation from which one can build upon for this season. I see no particular reason why the AO needs to be positive this year; although I did read somewhere that AAO tends to precede the AO, but if that is all there is to refute I need more than that.

Anyway, a lot of the seasonal forecasts I have seen yet again...year after year after year, churn out with little reasoning contained demonstrating much contribution from the polar field indices and it just boggles the mind. Why not? Did we honestly think the Pacific would take cart blanche over all with those leading polar indicators in play??

That would be very unwise. We can't in one breath say that the AO has too many moments of indirection from the ENSO, and then not include it as a unique influencer - that is bad logic, to mention the NAO, too.

yeah this is just a perpetual tap of cP air. most likely a few weak kinks/sws embedded in the flow to kick off a flurry every now and then but otherwise dry and quite cold.

Cold with NW winds and a flurry or 2 here, I'm not worried in the least, We get the lakes and ground to freeze instead of mudholes and a slushfest on the ponds and lakes.........

We laugh but in way couldn't you see this coming ...?

There has been an on-going solar minimum that really correlates well with -AOs.. Since the NAO overlays part of that domain, that's a heavy hand there. There is that, and the AMO has flipped signs and continues to descend. These two factors are pointing toward a -AO/-NAO bias...probably not just last year and this year, but perhaps spanning a decade if you believe Joe D'Aleo and other scientists...

It's a factorization that seems to be the best fit for explaining last years phenom -NAO (M/A folk were very blessed) and just as valued in my opinion as a baser forecast foundation from which one can build upon for this season. I see no particular reason why the AO needs to be positive this year; although I did read somewhere that AAO tends to precede the AO, but if that is all there is to refute I need more than that.

Anyway, a lot of the seasonal forecasts I have seen yet again...year after year after year, churn out with little reasoning contained demonstrating much contribution from the polar field indices and it just boggles the mind. Why not? Did we honestly think the Pacific would take cart blanche over all with those leading polar indicators in play??

That would be very unwise. We can't in one breath say that the AO has too many moments of indirection from the ENSO, and then not include it as a unique influencer - that is bad logic, to mention the NAO, too.

Joe D'Aleo is an idiot as far as I'm concerned for a lot of other reasons. We did have a -QBO last year so I think it remains to be seen whether the prolonged solar minimum will begin to affect the polar fields in a +QBO as well, although this is certainly an interesting start

Archived