amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Threat Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my next question, Wouldn't we want to see the upperlevel low track thru SE Pennsylvania to form a secondary in the baroclinic zone around the delmarva or NJ coast?

Probably a little further south, but it's almost like snowflakes...no two storms are alike. It just depends on the behavior of the short wave trough.

Check out today's euro.

Hr 96

Here is hr 120. Note the low pressure out ahead of the vortmax, but a little too the south. This is also because the trough is digging to the south. As it digs to the south, the best dynamics and height falls are going along with it.

Here is hr 144. Now, the low is just ne of the vortmax. Some of this is the result of things going on in lower levels like coastal frontogenesis and warm air advection. However, the upper level low is about to swing ne and is also intensifying. This causes the best forcing to align more to the ne of the vortmax, and also closer to the vortmax itself as everything becomes more wrapped up. Low pressure in this example is behaving as we thought.

At hr 168, the low is basically vertically stacked meaning the upper level low is on top of the surface low. Notice though, the extension of low pressure to the north. It's responding to vorticity advection and also strong warm air advection ahead of the low. Looking at that, it looks like low pressure will migrate to that area...or even a secondary low could form. In this case, the low just moves towards the Gulf of Maine.

Probably a little further south, but it's almost like snowflakes...no two storms are alike. It just depends on the behavior of the short wave trough.

Check out today's euro.

Hr 96

Here is hr 120. Note the low pressure out ahead of the vortmax, but a little too the south. This is also because the trough is digging to the south. As it digs to the south, the best dynamics and height falls are going along with it.

Here is hr 144. Now, the low is just ne of the vortmax. Some of this is the result of things going on in lower levels like coastal frontogenesis and warm air advection. However, the upper level low is about to swing ne and is also intensifying. This causes the best forcing to align more to the ne of the vortmax, and also closer to the vortmax itself as everything becomes more wrapped up. Low pressure in this example is behaving as we thought.

At hr 168, the low is basically vertically stacked meaning the upper level low is on top of the surface low. Notice though, the extension of low pressure to the north. It's responding to vorticity advection and also strong warm air advection ahead of the low. Looking at that, it looks like low pressure will migrate to that area...or even a secondary low could form. In this case, the low just moves towards the Gulf of Maine.

Of your 1120 posts (:lmao: ) that one was the best (and most informative)

Thinking that the whole retro scenario seems like a long shot. A slow moving Miller B type storm seems more plausible but maybe only because that is the more familiar scenario. Could still be nothing or OTS as well but it seems like the 12/4 through 12/6 period has been flagged since the middle of November.

Very good summarization, actually.

Ginx, Scott, very illuminating. Thanks for the patience.

Really quickly...don't always follow the vortmax core and think that's where low pressure will be. It's where the best advection is. Advection by definition depends on the quantity and how fast the quantity is brought in. So you can have weak vorticity, but have it advected in by strong flow, or strong vorticity but advected in by weak flow. It all depends on how fast and how much is being advected in.

Will is going to kill me, but at least it's not banter.

Really quickly...don't always follow the vortmax core and think that's where low pressure will be. It's where the best advection is. Advection by definition depends on the quantity and how fast the quantity is brought in. So you can have weak vorticity, but have it advected in by strong flow, or strong vorticity but advected in by weak flow. It all depends on how fast and how much is being advected in.

I think he'd make an exception in light of the quality of these posts....

I think this is very legit to post.

Why, it is model discussion loosely tied to the upcoming event. Ok, model interpretation 101 but I'd dare say there are quite a few lurkers that are quietly enjoying the material/knowledge that is being presented in such an digestable fashion. My job requires me to think in 3d constantly, I like learning to think of the atmosphere and it's machinations in the same way. Thanks.

nice. key point.

also relative to where you're best lift will be as well.

I keep looking at that super cold 5 h that spawned the DC blizzard, amazing evolution and a great example of all of your fantastic explanations. Crashing heights in winter make me wet.Wiz style.

Anyone else think the 12z Euro is a little far fetched? hahah

Yes...I think a more straight forward Miller B development is more likely than that solution. But given the pattern and analogs, I don't think a retrograde solution can be discounted. Dec 6, 1981 has been on the analog map for quite awhile. But that said, its still hard to take a retrograde solution that hits YBY seriously until its much closer in.

Archived