• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 7th-9th Potential Storm

wisconsinwx

Harry started the other thread. If he wants it to be merged with this one, I will gladly do so. Otherwise, I'm inclined to let it be.

If we're going to experiment with splitting the group, we have to start somewhere. This can be a test run to see how it goes. This isn't life or death guys.

It is a horrible idea and a great way to fracture the community more. This is not Harry, Moneymans, or anyone else's fault--it is the idea that we must break everything down into smaller regions to "solve" problems. I even thought it may be a solution a long time ago--but I found splitting off really does nobody good and it kills off good discussion.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like this is the time of year when we start to see a lot of tension build up on the boards. As we transition towards spring, a lot of members who are equally interested in warm weather events conflict with members who are predominantly winter weather oriented. Members who are interested in receiving more snow are somewhat sensitive to those who wish for warmer solutions/severe weather at this time of year. Everyone has different tastes, and that includes weather I guess.

I don't even think it's that right now. Most people still want another winter storm if it can come in the next couple weeks. The problem is people are more desperate for a storm this time of year b/c they know they will only have another couple weeks to cash in before they're done for 8 or 9 months. Hopefully this board doesn't become severe weather vs. winter weather.

I think things are fine the way they are, not including the recent thread split. Overall this was an isolated "incident", and for the most part things flow pretty nicely around here. I think these types of disagreements are bound to happen from time to time, especially during seasonal transitions. I honestly think we don't need to change anything. I really like the fact that our region is so large. Gives many of us a chance to live vicariously through other members when our particular area is uneventful, for example.

LBF

TUE 06Z 08-MAR -6.7 -6.9 1017 81 94 0.03 549 536

TUE 12Z 08-MAR -7.7 -7.6 1015 87 100 0.23 545 534

TUE 18Z 08-MAR -8.5 -8.6 1018 88 99 0.27 546 532

WED 00Z 09-MAR -9.3 -7.8 1023 83 94 0.12 548 530

WED 06Z 09-MAR -10.9 -6.5 1026 82 80 0.01 550 529

It is a horrible idea and a great way to fracture the community more. This is not Harry, Moneymans, or anyone else's fault--it is the idea that we must break everything down into smaller regions to "solve" problems. I even thought it may be a solution a long time ago--but I found splitting off really does nobody good and it kills off good discussion.

That's unfortunately all it will do and in return won't solve a thing when it come to jealously of who gets snow as some will be peeping in on sub geography threads to a storm to see what gossip they can pick up and spread in to their geo. thread or other forum on how that person or sub region are wrong instead of discussing in at as a whole group.

At least severe will be here soon and none of this sh1t seems to ever escalate in those threads.. Then again who would be jealous of someones life being torn down by a toranado or derecho.

I'm in favor of splitting within reason. The question is what's reasonable and what isn't. Even when everyone is getting along, if you're offline for 6 hours during the bigger events, there are pages and pages to get caught up on and that will gradually get worse as we continue to grow. I imagine this extra splitting thing would mainly be for winter...activity tends to drop a bit in spring/summer and nobody really cares about fighting over rain.

I'm in favor of splitting within reason. The question is what's reasonable and what isn't. Even when everyone is getting along, if you're offline for 6 hours during the bigger events, there are pages and pages to get caught up on and that will gradually get worse as we continue to grow. I imagine this extra splitting thing would mainly be for winter...activity tends to drop a bit in spring/summer and nobody really cares about fighting over rain.

supercells are a different animal :)

That's unfortunately all it will do and in return won't solve a thing when it come to jealously of who gets snow as some will be peeping in on sub geography threads to a storm to see what gossip they can pick up and spread in to their geo. thread or other forum on how that person or sub region are wrong instead of discussing in at as a whole group.

At least severe will be here soon and none of this sh1t seems to ever escalate in those threads.. Then again who would be jealous of someones life being torn down by a toranado or derecho.

Totally agree.

Totally disagree. Bowme said it well and it will not "alleviate" the jealousy and bickering. What will we do then? Break down into states, cities, etc.? We are trying to solve a problem by breaking into smaller regions where the problem itself is never taken care of. The end result will be smaller and smaller regions similar to PHL/NYC. What a clusterfook that eventually ended up being.

Totally agree.

Totally disagree. Bowme said it well and it will not "alleviate" the jealousy and bickering. What will we do then? Break down into states, cities, etc.? We are trying to solve a problem by breaking into smaller regions where the problem itself is never taken care of. The end result will be smaller and smaller regions similar to PHL/NYC. What a clusterfook that eventually ended up being.

Never said it would alleviate jealousy. And why do you keep bringing up Philly/NYC?

Euro leading (as it usually does) the way to my gut feeling how this ends. No reason this baby won't take off to at least over my nugget in the end.. Y'all who want to show me how it can pass south feel free. But my gut and limited knowledge will trump anything until I feel and see a reason to honk, IMBY. Fell free to bump this when I'm wrong and I'll apologize

Euro leading (as it usually does) the way to my gut feeling how this ends. No reason this baby won't take off to at least over my nugget in the end.. Y'all who want to show me how it can pass south feel free. But my gut and limited knowledge will trump anything until I feel and see a reason to honk, IMBY. Fell free to bump this when I'm wrong and I'll apologize

When the pretty much great agreement with the models tonight, hard to go against this.

Yup....... Some grass showing through and even the snow banks have really shrunk...

NWS shows 4 inches.

The flooding somewhere up here is going to be nasty when all that snow starts melting.

Our snowpack here is a glacier, especially after last night's rain and freezing rain.

The low doesnt intensify much so I am curious as to why it goes NNE out of the panhandle of texas. The NAO is slightly positive so theres nothing blocking it but usually a really wrapped up storm moves that much NNE. Would be nice to get one more snowstorm but looks like all rain to start march.

bored enough to look at forecast soundings for here from the 0z GFS and found this one lol hodograph that is so insane it doesn't even fit lol temp profile a tad to warm for snow here at 108hr

Gonna have to watch that closely. Model soundings (especially the GFS) are smoothed out compared to reality, and a storm that moves even slightly more south spells a giant mixing mess for this region.

Archived