• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 7th-9th Potential Storm

wisconsinwx

Okay, I figured I might as well start this now. The first system is not trending toward the favor of the Western Great Lakes, and I actually got a decent event with the first storm thread I started. The CWA just west of MKX (I believe it is based in LaCrosse) believes this storm could be rather significant. Obviously, though, this is about a week out so anything can happen in terms of track or strength.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who's on these boards from the Dubuque area? I think that's one city that is due for a major storm (I know you are probably tired of hearing me say who I think is due, but it's still interesting discussion). I think they just missed out on the Groundhog Day storm, the one a week ago, and the one last Sunday.

Anyone who's on these boards from the Dubuque area? I think that's one city that is due for a major storm (I know you are probably tired of hearing me say who I think is due, but it's still interesting discussion). I think they just missed out on the Groundhog Day storm, the one a week ago, and the one last Sunday.

LOL! I missed out on them too.

LOL! I missed out on them too.

I apologize! It seems a lot of the northern areas of the Plains and Great Lakes have not had an overly significant winter weather event. Once you get north of Green Bay in Wisconsin, they have missed out as well I believe, and Northern Lower Michigan has been a bit too far north for the major systems as well.

I apologize! It seems a lot of the northern areas of the Plains and Great Lakes have not had an overly significant winter weather event. Once you get north of Green Bay in Wisconsin, they have missed out as well I believe, and Northern Lower Michigan has been a bit too far north for the major systems as well.

Yeah February was awful. I had about 2".Northern areas this past month just did not do good at all. unless maybe you are in a snowbelt. Im not sure how well they did.

Well, John Dee... Time to change this one up to this morning. This one never looked like a hit down here to MI. Had cutter pasted all over it.

Another area of low pressure is indicated to roll from the central Plains into the central Midwest by Tue-Wed. The track and strength of this low are still up for grabs, with the main idea still being one of around 2-5" of snow to impact areas like the southern ½ to 2/3rds of MN, WI and lower MI as well as northern IA. Rains would fall to the south of the snow area and things to the north would be fairly quiet.

Yeah all the major storms have missed us to the east, south, and even west this year. We usually get a big storm, but so far it doesn't look promising.

One thing that seems certain is that this storm brings down some pretty artic air in its wake. Winters last true artic blow?? Although still plenty of time for the storm to get weaker and weaker and if that were they case I would guess the artic intrusion would be weakened a bit.

12z GFS, and CMC are about on par with each other. GFS seems to strengthen the Sfc-Low west of the Mississippi River valley, yet it has a large Polar Vort over Hudson Bay, so the run it throws out doesn't exactly make sense. Where as the ECMWF, and CMC both have the Polar Vort much further north. CMC has a massive dryslot into Iowa with a probable TROWAL across NW Iowa, S Minnesota, and Central Wisconsin. If a run like that verifies, likely frontogensis would occur, and there would be a very intense band of snow across Central Wisconsin as noted by the 500mb height spread over that area.

Overall, the model agree moderately on a track, but given that this event is nearly a week out, and given spread on actual timing of the event (18hr difference between 12z GFS and 0z ECMWF), its safe to say that I will only hypothesize on this event.

Severe wx is another story, and the GFS isn't setup for such Mesoscale features. Therefore, I am waiting till the higher resolution models (NAM, SREF, etc) come into focus before even mentioning anything about it.

12z GFS, and CMC are about on par with each other. GFS seems to strengthen the Sfc-Low west of the Mississippi River valley, yet it has a large Polar Vort over Hudson Bay, so the run it throws out doesn't exactly make sense. Where as the ECMWF, and CMC both have the Polar Vort much further north. CMC has a massive dryslot into Iowa with a probable TROWAL across NW Iowa, S Minnesota, and Central Wisconsin. If a run like that verifies, likely frontogensis would occur, and there would be a very intense band of snow across Central Wisconsin as noted by the 500mb height spread over that area.

Overall, the model agree moderately on a track, but given that this event is nearly a week out, and given spread on actual timing of the event (18hr difference between 12z GFS and 0z ECMWF), its safe to say that I will only hypothesize on this event.

Severe wx is another story, and the GFS isn't setup for such Mesoscale features. Therefore, I am waiting till the higher resolution models (NAM, SREF, etc) come into focus before even mentioning anything about it.

With the AO coming down as of late ( was well into the + zone ) i would go with the farther south PV. JMHO Usually the PV hangs in the Artic and not Canada when it is well into the positive side. This ofcourse can change. Just keep a eye on the AO because the more into the + side it is the farther north the PV is typically and when it goes south ( negative ) so does the PV. Models have struggled a bit with this lately too. Thus why models are still struggling with this next system a few days out.

basically don't get too comfortable yet.

MPX

MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...FOR THIS EXPECTED COLORADO LOW TYPE

STORM...THE EC CONTINUES TO BE TO THE NORTHWEST...IN FACT EVEN

SHIFTING FURTHER THAT DIRECTION WITH ITS 12Z RUN. ITS ENSEMBLE

ALSO SHIFTED NORTHWEST. THE EC IS FURTHER NORTHWEST THAN ANY OF

THE CURRENT GEFS MEMBERS...AND THAT ENSEMBLE AS WELL AS THE

DETERMINISTIC GFS SOLUTION TRENDED SOUTHEAST WITH THEIR 12Z RUNS.

THIS PROVIDES MAJOR DIFFERENCES ON PRECIPITATION TYPE AND

AMOUNTS...BUT IN GENERAL...A STILL WET PATTERN IS FORECAST FOR THE

UPPER MIDWEST AND HAS CONSISTENTLY BEEN FOR DAYS IN THE MARCH 7TH-

9TH FRAME. THE OVERLAP ON THE GUIDANCE IS THE MN FORECAST AREA.

OVER 50 PERCENT OF THE 00Z AND 12Z GEFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS GIVE AT

LEAST ONE HALF INCH OF PRECIPITATION IN 24 HOURS TO THE TWIN

CITIES...WITH NEARLY 30 PERCENT PRODUCING AN INCH. THE MAGNITUDES

OF MOISTURE...AND HEIGHT AND SURFACE PRESSURE DEPTHS...CONTINUE

TO EXCEED THOSE OF THE MAGNITUDES OF WINTER STORM COLORADO LOWS

FOR THE AREA. SO WITH THE CONSISTENCY IN A LARGER PRECIPITATION

MAKER OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST...HAVE ALREADY PLACED LIKELY WORDING

FOR THE MINNESOTA FORECAST AREA. HAVE A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN FOR

SOUTHERN AND EASTERN AREAS TO ACCOUNT FOR THE FURTHER NORTHWEST

EC...BUT GENERALLY HAVE TREATED THAT AS AN OUTLIER.

Edit: So basically, I give this until Saturday. If King Euro still has the northern track, congrats Grand Forks.

This storm is the first truly legitimate classic Colorado Low of the winter across the plains and into the Great Lakes.

I know.... I hope it goes bonkers wub.gif. 12z euro kinda reminds me of april 6th-7th 1997 for up here except colder. Track is similar h500 is a bit different but not by much.

I know.... I hope it goes bonkers wub.gif. 12z euro kinda reminds me of april 6th-7th 1997 for up here except colder. Track is similar h500 is a bit different but not by much.

The record breaking spring that was 1997 up there. What an amazing run they had--perhaps too amazing. Some similarities but that event had a much beefier GOM fetch and stronger diabatic heat release in the low levels--plus a good phase with the northern polar vortex. Still some similarities on the surface low track once it headed north through the plains.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1997/us0406j3.php

I am excited about this storm threat though for the plains whether it goes more Euro or GFS.

GFS says welcome to LBF, baro

One of us three will do well with this storm--we can at least say that thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The record breaking spring that was 1997 up there. What an amazing run they had--perhaps too amazing. Some similarities but that event had a much beefier GOM fetch and stronger diabatic heat release in the low levels--plus a good phase with the northern polar vortex. Still some similarities on the surface low track once it headed north through the plains.

http://www.meteo.psu...97/us0406j3.php

I am excited about this storm threat though for the plains whether it goes more Euro or GFS.

One of us three will do well with this storm--we can at least say that thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ya i'm super pumped either way even if it stays south fargo should get a decent amount of snow. How about that cold on the gfs, another arctic discharge right on top of the northern plains probably would end up 30-40 degrees below average. The cold just doesn't want to let up.

Archived