northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 7th-9th Potential Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I knew the EURO was going to be right, so meh. Get rid of this snow and get ready for some baseball.

It could be but we're still 4 days out. This early kudos kind of stuff is what annoys some people here.

As said, I think the only shot here...and it's remote...would be with any second low that develops but the most likely scenario right now seems to be that any second low passes too far east.

It could be but we're still 4 days out. This early kudos kind of stuff is what annoys some people here.

As said, I think the only shot here...and it's remote...would be with any second low that develops but the most likely scenario right now seems to be that any second low passes too far east.

Given how extremely negative tilt that trough went, I was surprised the GFS didn't develop that secondary sfc low further west. Might not have mattered though wrt to snow though as it really scours out the arctic air once the trough becomes detached from the main ul steering winds.

Given how extremely negative tilt that trough went, I was surprised the GFS didn't develop that secondary sfc low further west. Might not have mattered though wrt to snow though as it really scours out the arctic air once the trough becomes detached from the main ul steering winds.

Yeah...it will be interesting to see if tonight's GGEM is anything like the 12z run. If we're gonna see any model struggles with this event it will probably be with that second wave.

Comparing the GFS and GGEM at 108 hours, the trough is sharper/more amplified on the GGEM. Just guessing but I'd say it will probably be further west with any secondary development but not sure how far.

Looks a touch west of the GFS with the sfc low. Don't know how far back the precip extends beyond 120 as only the b/w maps are out, but looking at the thickness configuration, probably the same lack of cold air problems regardless.

Just coming into picture for this storm on the around the 8th. Seeing some early snowfall forecast for the 8th with Omaha, Lincoln, Hayes, and Grand Island with around 8-9" or snowfall possible. Snowfall rates showing around 1.1 to 1.2" per hour for a 4-5 hour block on the 8th for these areas. Attached some snowfall projections for that area.

http://smartwxmodel.net/snow.pdf

Just coming into picture for this storm on the around the 8th. Seeing some early snowfall forecast for the 8th with Omaha, Lincoln, Hayes, and Grand Island with around 8-9" or snowfall possible. Snowfall rates showing around 1.1 to 1.2" per hour for a 4-5 hour block on the 8th for these areas. Attached some snowfall projections for that area.

http://smartwxmodel.net/snow.pdf

looks good to me

ggem at 96

This storm reminds me of the storm we had a couple of weeks ago in Mi, when S/E Michigan got around 10", while the western side of the state got freezing rain and rain. The whole setup, with the low far to the west and the waa not making it that far north..

You are still mostly rain on the EURO. LOW goes pretty much from St. Louis to Chicago to N. Michigan. Draws up a lot of warm air.

I had a feeling you might say that. With projected highs in the low 40s it seems some colder air will have to really fill in to have a chance at decent snow accumulations.

Archived