• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter returns with a vengeance thread

Damage In Tolland

it'll be interesting to see what the weekend holds. there isn't a ton of support for what the euro is doing.

but a great write-up from HPC on the pattern:

BY THE LATTER HALF OF THE

PERIOD THE PRIMARY DIFFERENCES INVOLVE THE HANDLING OF ENERGY

EJECTING FROM THE WEST COAST/STRENGTH OF THE ERN CONUS RIDGE. THE

00Z ECMWF/ECMWF MEAN GENERALLY KEEP ERN CONUS HGTS SOMEWHAT LOWER

THAN MOST OTHER SOLNS RESULTING IN ECMWF GUIDANCE BRINGING A

BETTER DEFINED WAVY FRONT OVER THE ERN HALF OF THE LOWER 48...

VERSUS THE GFS/CMC THAT HOLD ONTO STRONGER HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE

EAST AND DEVELOP STRONGER LOW PRESSURE OVER THE PLAINS/MS VALLEY

BY DAY 7 MON. THE 12Z/13 ECMWF RUN BEARS SOME RESEMBLANCE TO THE

GFS CLUSTER BUT A LAGGED AVERAGE OF PAST 4 ECMWF RUNS STILL SHOWS

THE WAVY FRONT THAT IS SIMILAR TO THE 00Z EC/EC MEAN. WHILE THE

FACTORS APPEAR TO BE EVENLY SPLIT... TELECONNECTIONS DO PROVIDE

SOME HELPFUL GUIDANCE. D+8 MEANS FROM THE GFS/GEFS MEAN/ECMWF ALL

SHOW A PRONOUNCED CORE OF POSITIVE HGT ANOMALIES NEAR THE AK

PENINSULA. TELECONNECTIONS RELATIVE TO THIS FEATURE FAVOR A

FLATTER ERN CONUS RIDGE THAN THE GFS CLUSTER... AND MAXIMIZE PCPN

POTENTIAL OVER THE TN AND LOWER OH VALLEY REGION. EVEN WITH THEIR

DETAIL DIFFS THE PAST TWO ECMWF RUNS DISTRIBUTE THEIR QPF MUCH

CLOSER TO THE TELECONNECTION FAVORED LOCATION VERSUS THE FARTHER

NWD 00Z-06Z GFS. THUS PREFERENCE WILL GO TOWARD THE ECMWF

SCENARIO AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid 40 s and no dripping in sunshine, wind is gusty too. Not often are these conditions seen, uniqueness of this winter continues. Getting interested in the big wind event Sat, perhaps the last of what haven't we seen this winter. The boring period actually was pretty interesting with an ice fog event, Windex, low humidity no snow melt at 45 and now the potential for a HWW event, good stuff, good times.

Mid 40 s and no dripping in sunshine, wind is gusty too. Not often are these conditions seen, uniqueness of this winter continues. Getting interested in the big wind event Sat, perhaps the last of what haven't we seen this winter. The boring period actually was pretty interesting with an ice fog event, Windex, low humidity no snow melt at 45 and now the potential for a HWW event, good stuff, good times.

where are you living now, 3k ft in the Whites? ;D

There will def be some melting today, I mean 45 temps with a little sun will do it. The rules of physics do apply here..lol. However, the glacial like consistency requires a lot more energy to melt a certain quantity of snow. Clouds help, as sun can be your worst enemy.

May be less melting and more sublimation - but eating the snow either way, yes

Just did a real extensive survey of the snowpack, since I know we are about to start raping it......lowest reading I could find in the most exposed spot around my yard was 19", but that was not a very common number....highest was 27" at the edge of my neighbor's very shady deck, but it looks as though it drifts up to about 30".

So indeed, the area where I have my stake right near the Davis looks like nice representative number (25.5").

There were def. some spots safely over 3' at the peak depth of 33".

Can't emphasize enough how rare it is to have a stale, glaical pack this deep in this locale....I can't ever recall it occuring in my life.

This is usually reserved for NNE.....and rarely N ORH co and sw NH in their best seasons, but this is a once in 30-40 year occurence, here.

amazing stuff dude!

:thumbsup:

So it sounds like the Euro op has support from the ens for the Sunday and Tuesday snow events?

OT but ...I actually don't believe the GFS operational run is all that different for that time from from the 18z and 06z solutions. The 00z left something to be desired ...but if you go back along the ECM operational runs for beyond D5 you will find just as many vagarious solutions for the extended.

I find the overt love for the ECM extended solution slightly disconserting because there really isn't much of a justification for it. It factually is no better than the GFS beyond ...probably 4.5 days out in time...definitely by 6.

Interesting.

Yes, there's definitely been a withdrawal from all the tracking we did in December and January. I spent so many hours pouring over computer models, and now it seems there's nothing to do in life, especially since it's not yet time for real outdoor activities like gardening, tennis, hiking etc. Sad how addicted we get, but we do learn a lot in the process.

it could be worse, you could be addicted to crack cocaine.

Yeah Friday will be tough..but it's nice to rip the front thru earlier now..That extra 24 hours makes a huge difference...plus now folks won't be able to get out and enjoy the warmth on Saturday since the warmth is during the week. Nothing worse than a weekend in winter with kids on bikes and folks enjoying warm wx..thankfully we won;t have to see any of that nonsense

i agree with all your post. :lol: ......i think people who are into snowpack and snowpiles are all the same.

yeah friday is gonna suck dude

im gonna be cooler but with more rain

i guess we just commiserate (sp?) together, or maybe jiust draw the curtains.

it looks as though the front will come through here around 7pm on friday evening, so that is huge. maybe ill take a walk out around 9pm and assess the state of the pack, at least i can go to bed comfrotably that night.

Archived