northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter returns with a vengeance thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my thoughts on the matter, but I don't really have any issue with this. The flow is fast in general, with 582dm heights over the N Gulf, while a new arctic or polar/arctic hybrid suppression cuts into the GL -OV-NE. That means the balanced mid-level wind velocties are going to be hauling some serious ass from the SW right off the MA.... Once that cold lower troposphere loads into 35N and point N, that is going to instantiate (more so than impulse caused...) a generalized powdered overrunning - just add water.

The 850 to 700mb geostropic flow will tend to be uplide the whole way. I think HPC might have even hinted at this ...god I hate this word, ANA type scenario in their prelim dialogues, and I can kind of see where they are going with this. I see us having today and Friday's warm assaults in heavily modified cP air (less real warmth thermodynamically - another reason why people are baffled by the lack of actual runoff taking place at 50F), intervened by Tuesday chill, then a more meaningfull continental-scaled pattern change into a gradient pattern. Probably be sunny, wind, and cold Saturday, and then a big mass of cirrus plummage erupts from the MV/ New England going forward at any rate.

Yeah I don't think the euro is out to lunch or anything..or even the GFS. Perhaps it's something closer to Monday night, rather than Sunday.

GFS has been sort of hinting for a few runs how the pattern can be pretty "meh" with this gradient pattern.

yeah. the euro had that idea yesterday too for that one run.

it's going to be a tough battle with such an extreme negative PNA. it certainly could work out well if the cards play our right. but it could also easily lead to cutters and transient shots of warm/cold and be more of a GL/NNE pattern if we can't combat the se ridge and keep driving energy up through the high plains and into the western lakes.

A lot of the reason why the GFS is slow to eject energy from the SW US and is showing Lakes runners has to do with its odd handling of the building ridge west of AK. It becomes 180 degrees out of phase with the GFS and Euro ensemble.

By Sun night the op GFS has a trough over the Aleutians, where the GFS and Euro ensemble have a building ridge. Meanwhile the GFS has a building ridge just off the west coast of Canada, where the GFS and Euro ensemble have a trough. Given the GFS's inconsistency and poor handling of transitional patterns, I wouldn't give it nearly as much weight as the ensembles.

Op GFS valid Sun night:

post-88-0-87912100-1297702551.gif

GFS ensemble valid Sun night:

post-88-0-41435900-1297702572.gif

GFS still not buying what the euro is selling for Sunday Night. Wonder if the euro is too bullish with ejecting disturbances from the southwest trough, or is the GFS just suppressing everything right now.

A lot of the reason why the GFS is slow to eject energy from the SW US and is showing Lakes runners has to do with its odd handling of the building ridge west of AK. It becomes 180 degrees out of phase with the GFS and Euro ensemble.

By Sun night the op GFS has a trough over the Aleutians, where the GFS and Euro ensemble have a building ridge. Meanwhile the GFS has a building ridge just off the west coast of Canada, where the GFS and Euro ensemble have a trough. Given the GFS's inconsistency and poor handling of transitional patterns, I wouldn't give it nearly as much weight as the ensembles.

Op GFS valid Sun night:

post-88-0-87912100-1297702551.gif

GFS ensemble valid Sun night:

post-88-0-41435900-1297702572.gif

The 12z GFS ensembles lowered heights in AK. I'm just not sure it comes flying in like the euro has. It's possible, but I guess I wouldn't buy it just yet. If the 12z run has it, then I'll believe it a little more, but fast flow is going to play havoc on the models.. I also think the GFS may struggle at times with this flow.

LOL..that wasn't directed at you. There's a few posters who are deliberately trying to do anything in their power to have this mini thaw turn into something more than it is

yeah i hear ya.

i actually wish the wind wasn't howling so strong down here...if it's going to be >45F might as well be able to sit outside for a bit. but the 35 knot gusts are kind of killing that here right now.

Winters vengeful return seems to have about as many teeth as Sadam's republican guard.

gfs_ten_204l.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about the op. I think what I said yesterday and the day before may happen. We get relatively cold next week, and then a possible brief warmup near the end of the month...perhaps somewhere in the 26th to 28th timeframe..and then an early March cooldown. That's how I could see things as of now. Of course, it doesn't mean much when you are 10+ days out....but I could see that.

Archived