• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We were 1 degree from the worst winter ever

Ji

imagine if that storm 2 weeks ago was one degree warmer. We would of had a cold and snowless winter in DC. That 8-13 inch snowstorm prevented this winter from being the worst ever from a snowlover stand point

You would have still gotten snow if that storm had been 1 degree warmer. Maybe 3-5" instead of 10", but that's still something.

The worst winter ever was 2001-02, bar none.

The next couple of weeks look pretty mild, but March can sometimes have snow. We've definitely had worse winters than this one (like Fozz says, 2001-2002). That said, I'm ready for Spring. It's been pretty much non-stop cold since Thanksgiving - I'm ready for it to be done.

While we have obviously suffered worst winters (1998, 2002), what kills me about this one is how it seems EVERYWHERE else had a great and in some places, historic winters. New York, Norfolk, Dallas, Atlanta, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc, etc.

Temps at DCA were: Dec -4.9, Jan -1.3, Feb so far -0.1.......and total snowfall with all that cold 9.5"

From a "what could have been" standpoint, this winter has been awful. From a "weather that actually happened" standpoint, it could have been much worse. Winter of 08-09 was my definition of terrible. Those of you to the east who got a good snow in early March of 09, imagine what your feelings about that winter would have been if you got NOTHING from that storm like we did here in Frederick Co. So, I guess it's all about the measuring stick you apply to the winter. Bad? Yeah, pretty bad. Could it have been worse? Most definitely.

Oh, BTW, many of you saw a little snow last night, but, as normal, the northern Shen valley saw NADA. We've been missed to the south, the east, to the west and to the north several times each this season. It's been a blast.

but for 9 hrs, there's been no winter weather of consequence here

I know you're just joking around, but I consider weather to be mainly precip. Sometimes extreme temps provide interesting weather discussions, but temps anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees within normal don't really get me "weather excited". As for the precip, here, we have had 2.43 inches of precip since Dec. 2. Now, call it what you will, but that's pretty lame. And, just for the record, an inch of that fell during our one snow "storm".

But, like I said earlier, 08-09 was much worse than this. The only way that I want winter to hang on is if we get a slam dunk event to follow. One that every model has, one that is big, one that has me in solid precip. In other words, one that isn't going to happen. Otherwise, I want above normal temps so that I have no thoughts of snow.

I know you're just joking around, but I consider weather to be mainly precip. Sometimes extreme temps provide interesting weather discussions, but temps anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees within normal don't really get me "weather excited". As for the precip, here, we have had 2.43 inches of precip since Dec. 2. Now, call it what you will, but that's pretty lame. And, just for the record, an inch of that fell during our one snow "storm".

But, like I said earlier, 08-09 was much worse than this. The only way that I want winter to hang on is if we get a slam dunk event to follow. One that every model has, one that is big, one that has me in solid precip. In other words, one that isn't going to happen. Otherwise, I want above normal temps so that I have no thoughts of snow.

well, actually I'm not kidding around

we had a couple inches of snow over 3 hours on 1/11 and 7.6" on 1/26 that fell over a 6 hour period

the rest of the snow that fell this "winter" was nothing of consequence

I couldn't care less for cold if there's no snow

but that's me, others may feel differently and I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong

...or are just tired of the lack of snow during "typical" winters :P

well it's looking less like we'll get much past avg if we even get there so this isnt a great winter by any means. but i guess you gotta learn to take what you get around here. only 6 more winters till the next giant one! ;)

While we have obviously suffered worst winters (1998, 2002), what kills me about this one is how it seems EVERYWHERE else had a great and in some places, historic winters. New York, Norfolk, Dallas, Atlanta, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc, etc. Temps at DCA were: Dec -4.9, Jan -1.3, Feb so far -0.1.......and total snowfall with all that cold 9.5"

Where in the world do you live in Germantown that you only have 9.5" on the year?

I'd have to agree with this, and in fact that was the first winter I was here in the DC area. I think a close second would be 2007-08. Might even toss in 2005-06, where aside from that decent event we got in February 2006, January was an absolute torch (DCA was +8 or something for the month) and February not much better (was in the 60s a few days after the only real snow we got).

At least in 2008-09, as disappointing as that was in terms of snow, we got that one event in early March. And, it was below freezing for two straight days in early March, no small feat in this area! All hindsight aside, there were realistic potential events to follow during that entire winter, just turns out none of them panned out. This year is kind of similar to that, though colder. I'm still hopeful that we can pull out a decent moderate event in early March, but we'll see.

You would have still gotten snow if that storm had been 1 degree warmer. Maybe 3-5" instead of 10", but that's still something.

nope, 72/73 was #1 worst w/only 1.2" of snow

although 01/02 had only 2.3", 97/98 with its 3.2" felt no better due to the incredible rain

91/92 was no gem either at 4.1"

fortunately, I've been able to enjoy all of them

EDIT: Technically, 49/50 had the least recorded snow at .7" for the entire season at Baltimore; I'm sorry I missed that one

Hard to classify this winter as worst or even the near worst. Below normal temps and 3/4+ of climo snow in most locations. Lakes and rivers froze and no significant torch at all since Dec 1st. In the grand scheme, this winter's weather as a whole is above average.

Of course, if you focus on the multiple near misses this winter could be easily classified as one of the more painful.

nope, 72/73 was #1 worst w/only 1.2" of snow

although 01/02 had only 2.3", 97/98 with its 3.2" felt no better due to the incredible rain

91/92 was no gem either at 4.1"

fortunately, I've been able to enjoy all of them

EDIT: Technically, 49/50 had the least recorded snow at .7" for the entire season at Baltimore; I'm sorry I missed that one

Likewise, I wasn't alive in the 1970s, so 2001-02 was the worst winter that I lived through.

We have been fortunate back here in the far western sections of Virginia as December thru mid January provided several 2-5 inch producing systems that brought above average seasonal totals.

This Month, thus far, appears to be going to break that trend as only an inch has fallen here. Areas just to my west in Kentucky are and have been the big winners since late January with many places there receiving between 10 and 15 inches in that span. The kicker with this is, they also cashed in in December thru mid Jan. as well.

Here's a couple map links from NWSJKL displaying results from yesterdays snowfall:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/jkl/fxc/20110209_snow.png

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/jkl/Climate_Maps/Template_Snowfall.png

I am officially @ 23.5 inches on the season.

'01-'02 was really, really, really bad, but I still think '97-'98 was nearly just as bad. I think DCA had to shovel .1" that year.

Not 1"

.1"

'Burbs didn't fair much better. Horrible. Just horrible.

Edit:

Ok, temps wise '01-'02 was definitely warmer.

And I'm starting to have flashbacks of people jogging on the mall in shorts in the middle of winter....*shudders*

'01-'02 was really, really, really bad, but I still think '97-'98 was nearly just as bad. I think DCA had to shovel .1" that year.

Not 1"

.1"

'Burbs didn't fair much better. Horrible. Just horrible.

Edit:

Ok, temps wise '01-'02 was definitely warmer.

And I'm starting to have flashbacks of people jogging on the mall in shorts in the middle of winter....*shudders*

97-98 was a bit better in the burbs, actually. Manchester, MD got about 18" of snow that season, though it is more of a Baltimore suburb.

It may not have been the worst winter ever since we did have some snow and an exciting storm. But for the old phrase "wasted cold air", this winter has got to be the winner. And with that of course comes all the wasted potential.

Cold air isn't wasted if there is snow on the ground.

01/02 was definitely the most pleasant of the bad winters. It was basically warm and stormless. It was also very boring. I had 8 inches of snow for the winter out my way. It was the lowest of any year since I moved in 93.

97/98 was very stormy but the storms at least made it a bit interesting. Strong nor'easters in January and February that brought mostly rain to the area. I did better out here that winter. Recorded 16.5 inches total. The largest was a 7 incher on March 3 that fell in about 9 hours.

Archived