MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0104

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0558 PM CST FRI FEB 05 2010

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN PA...NERN WV...NRN VA...MUCH OF MD AND DE...AND

SRN NJ

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 052358Z - 060400Z

INTENSIFYING SNOWFALL RATES UP TO 3 IN/HR ARE PROBABLE THROUGH 06Z

ACROSS SRN PA...NERN WV...NRN VA...MUCH OF MD/DE AND SRN NJ.

EJECTING UPPER S/W TROUGH OBSERVED IN WATER VAPOR IMAGERY MOVING NE

ACROSS THE TN VALLEY AND SERN STATES IS FORECAST TO PROGRESS INTO

THE MID ATLANTIC REGION THROUGH 06Z...WITH SECONDARY CYCLOGENESIS

UNDERWAY /PER STRONG SURFACE PRESSURE FALLS OBSERVED IN RECENT

OBSERVATIONS/ ALONG COASTAL FRONT OVER THE CAROLINAS. AREA VWP DATA

ALONG WITH SHORT TERM MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES THE PRESENCE OF A

STRONG SLY 850-700 MB JET NOSING INTO VA. THIS FEATURE IS FORECAST

TO SLIDE EWD DURING THE NIGHT...BECOMING POSITIONED OVER SRN NJ BY

06Z. IT WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY INTENSE CONVERGENCE...WAA...AND DEEP

LAYERED FRONTOGENESIS FAVORING STRONG UVV/S WITHIN A STEEP 5-8 KM

LAPSE RATE ENVIRONMENT...WITH SNOWFALL RATES UP TO 3 IN/HR. FORECAST

SOUNDINGS ACROSS THE REGION INDICATE THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES OVER THE

LOWEST 2-3 KM WILL RESIDE BETWEEN 0 TO -5 DEG C...WHICH SUGGESTS

THAT FALLING SNOW WILL BE HEAVY/WET DUE TO SIGNIFICANT AGGREGATION.

IN ADDITION...AS SURFACE CYCLONE DEEPENS ALONG THE NC COAST...NELY

WINDS WILL LIKELY STRENGTHEN THROUGH 06Z...WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 35

MPH. THIS WOULD FAVOR VISIBILITY REDUCTIONS TO A QUARTER MILE WITH

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

..GARNER.. 02/05/2010

...NOTICE...

SPC WINTER WEATHER MESOSCALE DISCUSSIONS WILL BE ISSUED ON A

SCHEDULED BASIS FROM DECEMBER 1 THROUGH FEBRUARY 28...FOUR

TIMES A DAY...AROUND 00 UTC...06 UTC...12 UTC...AND 18 UTC

FOR SIGNIFICANT SHORT RANGE WINTER WEATHER EVENTS.

ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...CTP...LWX...PBZ...

LAT...LON 39877971 40457918 40817807 40777663 40217490 39487439

38797487 38427571 38347703 38757894 39277953 39877971

Thanks to Ian and all the others who have posted images from that storm. Just being north of the Maryland i had to sweat the models out that week since it was like pulling teeth to get them to bring the heavy stuff up this way. Ended up with 24" followed by another 20" on the 10th, my birthday.:snowman:

WVclimo saved this from the thread I had written about the event. It was fun rereading it.

This will be a truly historic storm and has very good shot at breaking the dca snowstorm total for reagan national airport. Why am I so giddy. Well, I talked to another old time met and he was saying he thought the warm advection between HAT and DCA was the same as during the 1979 event which is the current reagan national record. Also, the 06Z nam and 06 gfs both have more than 2.75 inches over dc. Normally I might discount them, I suspect the nam's 3 inches is too high but do think that over 2.5" inches is likely. the storm with that type of moisture was the feb 2003 event except this one will be all snow over dc, that one mixed. Why am I so sure this will be snow, it's teh confluence, this one's confluence is much stronger than that one. That storm produced a large area of 20 plus inches of snow across the dc area into parts of delmarva, this one should too! That storm produced pockets of ovr 30 inches, this one probably will too. The one difference is this one will probably have the 20 inch plus amounts across PG county and at least the northern half of calvert.

This is going to be a truly disruptive storm. I've filled one of my bathtubs with water and am putting lots of perishables in a cooler that I'm going to put in the snow so I don't have to open the freezing or fridge if we lose power. I think that's a possibility.

Phl still looks to get heavy snow, JamieO is still in the tight gradient. Nothing has changed from last night except the models are even wetter.

• 2 months later...

I was looking for a place I could get all the weather data for the day and thought there was a link here. Basically looking for the historic data including the barometric pressures. I got lost again in the thread with memories of an amazing event. Will this ever happen again? I dunno! Loved being a part of it!

Felt like bumping the post for some good memories as we head for very warm days of Spring!

Feb 6 @ 158am

Feb 6 @ 210am

Feb 6 @ 147am

Feb 6 @ 212am

I mean after 07z when that dryslot approached. I want to see how it filled in, because it got close to DCA. Looking at that , you can see how your area through Phin's hood got crushed. Incredible.

LOL at the image of the NAM that Ian saved. Those were a few of the weenie products I posted.

I mean after 07z when that dryslot approached. I want to see how it filled in, because it got close to DCA. Looking at that , you can see how your area through Phin's hood got crushed. Incredible.

LOL at the image of the NAM that Ian saved. Those were a few of the weenie products I posted.

heres the whole storm loop

radar_composite_100205-06.gif

i think the nam loops in here are ones i made. ;)

heres the whole storm loop

i think the nam loops in here are ones i made. ;)

One thing that I won't do is watch a radar once a snow storm starts. Silly, I know, but if I had seen that radar at any point on that Friday night, I might have just ended it all. I didn't realize just how close that dry slot was to my area, but it never made it in here.

Thanks man..that's it.

There's a NAM simulated radar map a couple of pages back that's an in-house product. I know because I did a screen capture, and it got my initials in a GUI that I use..lol.

Ahh yes I was confused on which image. I think I saved that whole group but just posted one frame.

You probably are familiar with this site-- just wanted to make sure you knew of it if you didn't already:

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/vtec/#2010-O-NEW-KLWX-BZ-W-0001

Click on "Radar Map." While there's no looping function, you can scroll the "event timeline" bar from left to right to see individual radar frames throughout the storm.

You probably are familiar with this site-- just wanted to make sure you knew of it if you didn't already:

http://mesonet.agron...-KLWX-BZ-W-0001

Click on "Radar Map." While there's no looping function, you can scroll the "event timeline" bar from left to right to see individual radar frames throughout the storm.

Can that map be animated?

http://mesonet.agron...-KLWX-BZ-W-0001

I knew the Iowa state radar page that showed the national mosaic, but I didn't know you could get single site archive imagery like that. That's fantastic!

• 9 months later...

We are all too disheartened this winter to even reminisce.

Then I was young and unafraid..

And dreams were made and used and wasted

There was no ransom to be paid

No song unsung no wine untasted

Actually, crappy winters are the best time to reminisce about the great storms of the past.

After the December 2009 snow, I remember saying I wouldn't see snow like that again for a LONNNNG time (extra emphasis on LONG).... who knew that the following February I'd see a snow that TOPPED the amounts I saw in December!?! Not my best forecast... rooted in skepticism and my upbringing in the South.