American Weather, Conference I questionnaire

stormtracker

Conference I Questionnaire  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How interested are you in attending American Wx's First Conference

• Very
    • Somewhat
    • Some interest, but not likely to attend
  2. 2. What is most important to you in determining whether you attend?

• The Date
    • The Speakers/Presentations
    • Price
    • Doesn't Matter
    • I answered not likely to attend
  3. 3. Of the following dates, which would you rather have the conference

• June 24-26
    • July 15-17
    • July 22-24
    • October/fall date
    • I answere3d not likely to attend

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't be in June..After last years record low turnout due to it being held in June it will be in July..regardless of what the vote is

It had nothing to do with that. Equal number of people had commitments on either date. Recession probably didn't help either.

At any rate, this is a poll guys..not a debate about certain parts of the poll. Can we keep it to that and ideas?

I haven't read though the other posts, so this might be redundant, but this is basically a brain dump:

-Baltimore is great for me personally, and seems to be a decent location considering the success of the previous conferences (under that 'other' name that shall not be mentioned...LOL).

-A social opening get-together atmosphere for the first evening (maybe friday evening as folks arrive by plane)

-Structured presentations Saturday

-Break out sessions sunday.

-combine with professional groups like DC-AMS / Accuweather (yeah...I know). / NWS / etc.

-have something related to areas like jobs, and young professionals, equipment set-up (like weather stations).

-have commercial sponsorship to help reduce costs, increase functions

-raffles for prizes.

-fixed prices for entry/attendance

-be aware of other weather related conferences and fit into a schedule to benefit both presenters and attendees.

-take advantage of the proximity to DC that has HQs of the NWS & NOAA, Discovery Channel, NSF, FEMA, and more.

I don't see where tons would have to change from past years as no real need to reinvent the wheel. There could be a more open discussion of country wide presentations to go along with the new name, but I suspect for at least this year eastern US focus will be typical. Work on more continental elements in follow-up years as the forum expands. I also think have a sort of 'display' of the various admins and moderators so that members can get to know the 'staff' better and put faces to names and foster a better relationship and communication between the members and staff.

I would be interested in attending this year but anytime in the summer and it probably won't happen for us for a myriad of reasons. Good luck on the planning either way.

Babysitter, grandma.

John is senior staff, he has to come by law. Penalty is death.

Don't subject your children to a life without daddy. Don't do it.

I think late June works best for a number of reasons: 1) It's before most people plan their summer trips/vacations (which is usually in July or August)...and following up that thought, the city should be a bit less crowded 2) Most people are free/can be free, kids out of school, teachers done, before any summer classes/courses start up (usually after July 4th). 3) The weather itself - let's face it, BWI in July and August is almost guaranteed to be brutal, regardless of the summer. Late June there's a better chance for more enjoyable weather.

Late June would be good. Especially since I don't do the ham radio thing anymore...my June weekends are pretty free. Always a potential I'll be chasing in the early part of the month. It would be cool though if I chased, came back, and then presented some of my chasing. I think that might a little entertaining for folks. Mark (or another met) would have to help me with some of the meteorological stuff...to make it more centered for the Eastern crowd...but can't argue with tornado and storm footage and presentations.

Archived