• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GFS Fantasy storm a plenty

wxbrad

Not only that, but it also would imply a very close call to an accumulating snow in parts of the FL Panhandle as well as the Gulf coast of AL/MS! This very far south track is, of course, very rare. So, this model run is very much a FWIW, especially since we're talking about the JMA and it is 7-8 days out. I'm not for one minute buying this but rather treating it as entertainment and is just another reminder to watch out for the possibility of wintry precip, possibly major,. during 12/7-8 in parts of the SE US.

Yep, wouldn't that just be something if it turned out like the JMA had it? Pensacola would be shut down with traffic accidents lol.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only that, but it also would imply a very close call to an accumulating snow in parts of the FL Panhandle as well as the Gulf coast of AL/MS! This very far south track is, of course, very rare. So, this model run is very much a FWIW, especially since we're talking about the JMA and it is 7-8 days out. I'm not for one minute buying this but rather treating it as entertainment and is just another reminder to watch out for the possibility of wintry precip, possibly major,. during 12/7-8 in parts of the SE US.

I'm not buying it.

does anyone remember the storm last year that buried eastern NC/SC? both the GFS and EURO had the storm plowing into Cuba up until 2 days before it arrived. The retrograded low in Maine will not stick around that long. I dont see this as much of a viable solution. The only thing that makes it plausible is the lack of a southern branch

Which event was it from the previous winter where models were showing the major suppression that involved a strong vortex sitting up north (think it was off the Canadian Maritimes or the NE coast), and could anyone here recollect what occurred at that point?  It sounds to me like what had happened there could repeat for this possible scenario.  I remember reading and hearing discussions about it quite a bit when we were on Easternwx.

Which event was it from the previous winter where models were showing the major suppression that involved a strong vortex sitting up north (think it was off the Canadian Maritimes or the NE coast), and could anyone here recollect what occurred at that point? It sounds to me like what had happened there could repeat for this possible scenario. I remember reading and hearing discussions about it quite a bit when we were on Easternwx.

i believe this occured in a few storms last year involving DC snow events. The vortex on days 4-7 appeared to suppress the storms only to have them ride up the coast

as usual the euro has been very inconsistent as well. Totally keeps the western storm well off the Cal. coast until its absorbed by the gulf of alaska low. The east is just cold, and dry after the clipper...except northern new England and eastern Canada, and the lake belts. I'm not saying its right though, the GFS looked more realistic to me, but still far away.

I forgot how to read these since last winter. The dark blue line the freezing line?

At 850mb, yes, which is about 1500m up, depending... Better tool is soundings and thickness to ascertain precip type:

example of using thickness, find the 1000-850mb thickness line (blue lines) and the 850-700mb thickness line (red lines), and plot on the chart below the intersect for your location to determine QPF type...

06zgfsp06thickpmsl_MA096.gif

reduced.updated.nomogram.labels.png

I love that soundings pic. Use it alot.

At 850mb, yes, which is about 1500m up, depending... Better tool is soundings and thickness to ascertain precip type:

example of using thickness, find the 1000-850mb thickness line (blue lines) and the 850-700mb thickness line (red lines), and plot on the chart below the intersect for your location to determine QPF type...

as usual the euro has been very inconsistent as well. Totally keeps the western storm well off the Cal. coast until its absorbed by the gulf of alaska low. The east is just cold, and dry after the clipper...except northern new England and eastern Canada, and the lake belts. I'm not saying its right though, the GFS looked more realistic to me, but still far away.

Agreed. The GFS still suppresses the storm well to our south with the 06z so it will still be cold & dry, with no wintry wx. There is obvious flip flop between the euro and canadian, so I think the GFS surprisingly is the best model to look at (today) as far as next weeks system...trying not to wishcast here, but I think we'll see a northern trend of the system, I just don't think this system will be that suppressed as the GFS is indicating...We'll have the moisture in the SE, just when and where is up in the air I'm sure until late this weekend.

Eager to see what the models show within the next few days, and how the correlate with one another.

BTW: I'm confused...This + December thread is like two different threads for the threat next week. We need one central threat to post in.

Nice explanation and procedure! Thanks.

Agreed. The GFS still suppresses the storm well to our south with the 06z so it will still be cold & dry, with no wintry wx. There is obvious flip flop between the euro and canadian, so I think the GFS surprisingly is the best model to look at (today) as far as next weeks system...trying not to wishcast here, but I think we'll see a northern trend of the system, I just don't think this system will be that suppressed as the GFS is indicating...We'll have the moisture in the SE, just when and where is up in the air I'm sure until late this weekend.

Eager to see what the models show within the next few days, and how the correlate with one another.

BTW: I'm confused...This + December thread is like two different threads for the threat next week. We need one central threat to post in.

Don't worry if the storm is in play by Saturday someone will create a central thread for that storm. I agree with you though it gets pretty confusing with all these threads.

The new (12Z) CMC has a Miller A in the N GOM ~100 miles south of the MS/AL border on day 7 (12Z Wed. 12/8). The 0Z Wed CMC had nothing in the GOM then. This is back to the 12/7-8 Miller A big SE winter storm timing of those recent Euro runs. Interesting for sure.

Note that the 12Z CMC is now issued through day 7.

What is the CMC?

The new (12Z) CMC has a Miller A in the N GOM ~100 miles south of the MS/AL border on day 7 (12Z Wed. 12/8). The 0Z Wed CMC had nothing in the GOM then. This is back to the 12/7-8 Miller A big SE winter storm timing of those recent Euro runs. Interesting for sure.

Note that the 12Z CMC is now issued through day 7.

Archived