Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part VI

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice light warmup snow falling here as we are getting clipped by your snow system today.....7F

congrats on the snow :snowman:

im sure many of you guys will find a way to pound snow tomorrow as well, SWFE FTW!

reasonably speaking

looking for 5-10 inches here, temps in the single digits with winchills near -30

should be a fun day.

At 21 hours the 1000-700 is just a hair warmer along the Pike. Quick flip for everyone south of there between about 6am and 9am. At 24 it's up into SE NH or very close.

I think the Dynamicss are going to help with that. The 850's look good, not sure about the 700's but again with the low going underneath us fron the southern Jersey coastline, I think we can stay mostly snow here in Boston to Worcester to Springfield. We'll see.:guitar:

I've got to ask as I'm curious....

All year long the 1000/700 CT has been the dividing line between sleet and snow...or I should say snow and non-snow. In most cases the non-snow line ends up even further north than model runs inside of 24 hours. With the NAM driving that line up to Boston at H21 when only a few tenths has fallen....then jams it north after that....

What's the thinking that this is going to be able to produce 6+ of snow in Boston? Dynamic cooling? When we had epic dynamics a week ago we couldn't fight off the change. Are you all expecting colder surface temps play a role too?

Just curious. To me per the NAM anyway it's a few inches of snow before a change in eastern MA from around Boston south.

At 21 hours the 1000-700 is just a hair warmer along the Pike. Quick flip for everyone south of there between about 6am and 9am. At 24 it's up into SE NH or very close.

It is colder vs 12z. Have seen through hour 36. It may ping along the Pike by Noon but probably not before and could be an hour or 3 after.

The 18z NAM still seems pretty close here at HFD between IP/ZR...if that layers gets like 1-2C warmer than it would make things very interesting. Figuring out how far northward the extent of this threat gets probably won't be figured out until the AM.

110201200935.gif

borderline yeah...looks like ZR to me. that's a pretty thick/warm layer

All year long the 1000/700 CT has been the dividing line between sleet and snow...or I should say snow and non-snow. In most cases the non-snow line ends up even further north than model runs inside of 24 hours. With the NAM driving that line up to Boston at H21 when only a few tenths has fallen....then jams it north after that....

What's the thinking that this is going to be able to produce 6+ of snow in Boston? Dynamic cooling? When we had epic dynamics a week ago we couldn't fight off the change. Are you all expecting colder surface temps play a role too?

Just curious. To me per the NAM anyway it's a few inches of snow before a change in eastern MA from around Boston south.

If BOS is still snowing at 15z tomorrow...then they are getting 6"+ IMHO. Its a difference of like less than 10 miles...so its impossible to make a prediction that accurately.

We're going to pick up another 6-10 with some sleet to lock this baby in place till June....lol..

Sure hope so! At this point, looks like a nail-biter, have seen these SWFE's bust colder several times 1993-94, but have also seen these bust warmer... not sure which way things will break tomorrow.

Recognize? Downtown and suburbs may have lighter traffic, but Longwood is inevitably a mess...

What is the thickness now? We know what ground truth has been today and snow/sleet made it to within 30 miles of Boston. Got to respect climo...it snows, rains, but rarely sleets for long periods here. It could cut off and dry but my guess is we're in for another big time thump. 1993-94...wonder what those thicknesses were....same prog..equal failure. While models have verified warm at your place, they have tended to verify colder here for most of the storms.

Archived