Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part VI

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like about another inch or so, give or take down here. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gotta subtract whatever the NAM has between 18z and 00z for today's event. It looks lime mostly 0.60-0.85" for tomorrow's event to me...which makes sense given the synoptic setup. Its a fast moving SWFE thump.

What is the thickness now? We know what ground truth has been today and snow/sleet made it to within 30 miles of Boston. Got to respect climo...it snows, rains, but rarely sleets for long periods here. It could cut off and dry but my guess is we're in for another big time thump. 1993-94...wonder what those thicknesses were....same prog..equal failure. While models have verified warm at your place, they have tended to verify colder here for most of the storms.

looks to me like the column stays below freezing through a sizable chunk of the good stuff. i think you'll do pretty well.

What is the thickness now? We know what ground truth has been today and snow/sleet made it to within 30 miles of Boston. Got to respect climo...it snows, rains, but rarely sleets for long periods here. It could cut off and dry but my guess is we're in for another big time thump. 1993-94...wonder what those thicknesses were....same prog..equal failure. While models have verified warm at your place, they have tended to verify colder here for most of the storms.

They actually busted too cold today. 18z NAM had the 1000/700 CT just to my south at 18z when it had flipped an hour before. But essentially the nose of the 1000/700 was the change line or actually just north of it. The NAM draws that same line over Boston by 10am, then to the NH border three hours later FWIW.

borderline yeah...looks like ZR to me. that's a pretty thick/warm layer

It's pretty damn close...another thing to take into consideration is IF the NAM is 100% correct with the thermal profile...a 1-2C difference in that warm layer could have a HUGE impact here. That's a pretty sick wind profile too in the 750-850mb layer...going from about 75 knots to 55 knots from the SW...so could have a bit more in the way of WAA than what is modeled...have to watch this real closely.

I'm betting 930 to 1030 it pings in Boston. Double or nothing on dinner.

At 21h it's a tick warmer through the layers as the CT is further north.

BTW, 18z RUC had a much better handle on temps, and has for this entire event one. It's run about 10 miles north of the NAM....and does that throughout tonight too.

Just food for thought, I'm screwed either way :)

looks to me like the column stays below freezing through a sizable chunk of the good stuff. i think you'll do pretty well.

Yeah, I'm liking things for the most part. Sure I'll mix with IP, but I think I'll thump pretty hard beforehand. It's the 2 hours on either side of 15z that are critical. That could mean the difference of 6" I'll be home tomorrow, so the obs should be interesting.

We're going to pick up another 6-10 with some sleet to lock this baby in place till June....lol..

Jerry, I'm thinking 4", sleety-mix for an hour or so, two hours of rain, and then the shutoff before a little back end fluff sweeps through in the late-late.

But I, of course, prefer your outlook.

Yeah, I'm liking things for the most part. Sure I'll mix with IP, but I think I'll thump pretty hard beforehand. It's the 2 hours on either side of 15z that are critical. That could mean the difference of 6" I'll be home tomorrow, so the obs should be interesting.

My gut tells me that I'll probably mix right around 15z which may cut down totals. Hoping it's closer to noon.

the good thing is it looks like the best VVs cross the region at the ideal time for you to fight back that mid-level warmth. i'm sure you noticed by 18z, the good stuff is all offshore...tough to tell on the 3hr progs exactly what happens in there but it seemed like the earlier runs of the nam had that warm layer timed out basically just behind that strongest surge of omega.

in a sense, we've beaten this event to a pulp but there's still plenty of fun things to watch shake out.

the good thing is it looks like the best VVs cross the region at the ideal time for you to fight back that mid-level warmth. i'm sure you noticed by 18z, the good stuff is all offshore...tough to tell on the 3hr progs exactly what happens in there but it seemed like the earlier runs of the nam had that warm layer timed out basically just behind that strongest surge of omega.

in a sense, we've beaten this event to a pulp but there's still plenty of fun things to watch shake out.

:lol:

That's for sure..lol. Gonna be some fun nowcasting perhaps.

Archived