Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Start of February

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was meant as a high level overview of where my head is at right now for the 9-11th storm. Don't take it verbatim and you could easily see things shift over the next several days.

Oh no i won't and i thought thats what it was, i'm just trying to keep this weekend and next week seperate..

perhaps Adam or another met can help me out but why is there so much cold air available for this system on the gfs(next weeks) when there is not a high pressure system in sight...is this the gfs likely being too cold?

Nope, I think it is spot on. You have the polar vortex over Hudson Bay and cross-polar flow from Siberia flooding into the CONUS.

gfs_500_120s.gif

That puts a 1040+ high over the Plains with massive cold advection coming form the North Pole, plus you've got a 50/50 low helping to flush down cold air as well.

gfs_pcp_120s.gif

Overall, it's the cross polar flow that is really providing the cold air source, but you've got two mechanisms to get it down into the US. Hope this makes sense.

Storm fell off the face of the earth on the GFS goes off the coast, no phase. That's more like it. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That is so awesome. At around 10am this morning, I was thinking to myself that it's about the time now for the GFS to completely lose this for a couple of days. It happens almost every single time with the biggies...it sniffs it out first, runs for it a while, then once the other models are on board, poof goes the GFS, only to bring it back in the days leading up to the event.

I take this as a VERY good sign.

0z and 12z are almost identical until next Tuesday... then after that system moves off to the north east it handles 500mb features quite differently. Most of the winter, from what I have seen, the GFS has had a hard time knowing what to do with the polar vortex/short waves past systems that move through the eastern US. Many times we end up with these fantasy long range storms for them to only disappear and reappear over and over. If the other models stay consistant I would believe them more than the GFS right now with two systems to move through before this one.

That is so awesome. At around 10am this morning, I was thinking to myself that it's about the time now for the GFS to completely lose this for a couple of days. It happens almost every single time with the biggies...it sniffs it out first, runs for it a while, then once the other models are on board, poof goes the GFS, only to bring it back in the days leading up to the event.

I take this as a VERY good sign.

Bring it on..I'm ready for another biggie

Bring it on..I'm ready for another biggie

Me too, but keep in mind that my comments are merely an observation of what I've noticed in the past. There's still the actual science as to why this happens, and I'm sure that there are different reasons for that with each unique system. There is nothing to say that the GFS won't be right in this scenario, but it does tend to lose storms and bring them back for whatever reason.

There are lot of red taggers such as Adam on here that sense a very strong signal for a large storm later next week. Perhaps they (he) can explain why the GFS in particular seems to do this.

Nope, I think it is spot on. You have the polar vortex over Hudson Bay and cross-polar flow from Siberia flooding into the CONUS.

gfs_500_120s.gif

That puts a 1040+ high over the Plains with massive cold advection coming form the North Pole, plus you've got a 50/50 low helping to flush down cold air as well.

gfs_pcp_120s.gif

Overall, it's the cross polar flow that is really providing the cold air source, but you've got two mechanisms to get it down into the US. Hope this makes sense.

thank you very much! very understandable!

Looks like EURO is a bigh hit for next week's storm!

Yeah, verbatim off of just THIS run, it might be a bit too far east for most on here. We'd get some decent snow, but from what I can see, not much gets west into true CPA.

Pick your model and pick your run, lots of variations thus far, I'm sure many more to come. But I think it's a good thing for all of us, even those to the west, that models have come east today, because a trend back westward still seems to make the most sense at some point.

Anyone know what the Euro shows for tommorrow's event?

Euro must not have been too far east for our region this run, Altoona's comin in at about 0.75 and Pittsburgh around 0.4. Harrisburgs 0.8", and this time unlike last night its all snow for them. AVP and IPT look like they're in at least the same amount of QPF but its a 6 hour frame or two outside of the range for my text output.

Archived