amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL at the NAM QPF, I would def shave it down a notch, but the high amounts probably stems from the appetizer that almost becomes the main dish on the NAM.

Yeah, it spits out a good 6-12" for most of SNE through 6z Wednesday, followed by 12-18" for much of the interior.

Even 70% of the 12z NAM QPF would be a great storm for the region.

Not on the NAM there's not..it's south of HFD. Very tightly packed thermal gradient

It looks like it might briefly sleet at BDL on the NAM which means you probably would too. Its verr marginal and wouldn't last long, but it should let people keep in mind that just because they have 850 temps of -5C or -6C, doesn't mean they cannot ping in this setup.

Considering how the 12z NAM is pretty cold overall, you can see how pellets could get further north and longer duration. The warm punch at 750-800mb is very potent...one of the things that is giving us all the qpf...but you have to deal with potential flirtation with sleet as a result.

It looks like it might briefly sleet at BDL on the NAM which means you probably would too. Its verr marginal and wouldn't last long, but it should let people keep in mind that just because they have 850 temps of -5C or -6C, doesn't mean they cannot ping in this setup.

Considering how the 12z NAM is pretty cold overall, you can see how pellets could get further north and longer duration. The warm punch at 750-800mb is very potent...one of the things that is giving us all the qpf...but you have to deal with potential flirtation with sleet as a result.

I'm not totally ready yet to rule out a few hours of pockmarks on the face..but I think you would agree it's much less certain than it was when we talked about this on Saturday..and i was adament then that it would stay south

LOL at the NAM QPF, I would def shave it down a notch, but the high amounts probably stems from the appetizer that almost becomes the main dish on the NAM.

Yup, and that's why amounts are lower on those maps. NAM is flagging IJD-SFZ-GHG going over to sleet tomorrow for most of the day, rain along the immediate coast.

looks like a 2.21" bulls eye right over me. That would probably be 16-18" of snow factoring in poor ratios and some minor taint. I think I'll cut that nearly in half.

Even 9 or 10" of slightly tainted snow is going to act more like 15" or 18" of snow since it will be so dense....not the best scenario for the already choked streets and walkways. Imagine what 16" of dense snow will do.

What a freakin winter for SNE. Every single thing (almost..clippers blow and so do lows on inverted troughs in SE MA :) ) turns into snow gold.

Lots of details to work out but look at the big picture. Three days ago this was almost a cutter again. Two days ago it was a big mix situation for all of SNE. A day ago maybe not so much...now 2 days out Blizz Bob and CapeCod04 may be on the fence.

Definite classic signal though that parts of western/sw areas can be a lot warmer than eastern areas at the same north/south as the warm air punch -...as Will says is very potent - gets blunted as the low jumps.

Classic fun. One of those deals where snow lines crash southeast...or one of those deals where Bob/CapeCod 04 flip for a few minutes and then the line rockets SE again...

Forecasters nightmare.

Will, what do you think your snow depth is currently?

I'm started to get excited for your next set of pictures.:scooter:

Will, what do you think your snow depth is currently?

I'm started to get excited for your next set of pictures.:scooter:

Probably around 30"...its settled just a bit the last couple of days. But if we can get 15" of dense snow, its going to look pretty ridiculous.

Archived