Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why's everyone looking at the H85 line? Isn't the warm air push with these things almost always closer to H7 or H75?

Folks could be sleeting with H85 temps of 0C to -3C.

Not claiming that it's 100% snow here. But I think it's relativity indicative that it's colder than 3z. It also reduces the probability of major zr issues (as opposed to ip), which was my main concern.

Not claiming that it's 100% snow here. But I think it's relativity indicative that it's colder than 3z. It also reduces the probability of major zr issues (as opposed to ip), which was my main concern.

Yeah, certainly. I think its showing the model is deepening the cold air in the lower levels, but just saying that on all the soundings it looks like the warm air push is above that level. If you're near 0C at H85 you are definitely getting no where near freezing rain as that cold layer is likely pretty thick below the warm layer.

Why's everyone looking at the H85 line? Isn't the warm air push with these things almost always closer to H7 or H75?

Folks could be sleeting with H85 temps of 0C to -3C.

Right, yeah, even with an 850 skirting HFD-PVD-TAN or something of the sort on the SREFs, that would probably (in this setup) be about 29-31F at the surface but probably with zr or perhaps sleet (assuming it's warmer at say 750-800mb). But still, much colder than 03z run which had 850 up to around ORH.

Btw, still a potent thing for tomorrow, swath of .5"+ south of Mass pike.

Right, yeah, even with an 850 skirting HFD-PVD-TAN or something of the sort on the SREFs, that would probably (in this setup) be about 29-31F at the surface but probably with zr or perhaps sleet (assuming it's warmer at say 750-800mb). But still, much colder than 03z run which had 850 up to around ORH.

1000-700mb critical thicknesses have been an excellent indicator most of the winter. Not the 1000-850s. Most of the time the warm air seems to be sneaking in around 750-800mb.

Have to say comments like bringing winter "back to where it belongs" are beyond silly.

Very much so... however, with all the folks rooting for this to move south, someone's gotta root for it to at least stay where it is or a tick north for us NNE'ers.

With the deep, deep snowpack down in SNE, you guys can spare some snow for us northerners in exchange for a little mixed precip, lol.

I think a lot of people are overlooking this. By itself, we'd probably have a 30 page thread just on this threat. The ingredients are there for a 3-7" snowfall JUST tomorrow before the main stuff even starts. yay :thumbsup:

its january 31st and we already have well over our average yearly snow, I'd say it's a pretty damn good winter

I haven't hit average snow yet! By Wednesday maybe.

Yes, it has been a great winter so far, but I chuckle when I see the talk about all of CT having the epic winter of all time. It just isn't so for some. This year can still do it but its got a lot of work to do for my area to be in the ranks of 1886-87, 1915-16, 1960-61, 1966-67, 1977-78, 1995-96 and 2002-03

I haven't hit average snow yet! By Wednesday maybe.

Yes, it has been a great winter so far, but I chuckle when I see the talk about all of CT having the epic winter of all time. It just isn't so for some. This year can still do it but its got a lot of work to do for my area to be in the ranks of 1886-87, 1915-16, 1960-61, 1966-67, 1977-78, 1995-96 and 2002-03

you're right near me...what the f is "average" for collinsville?

Archived