• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

Here's some pics, dudes. Measured several locations between 20-21". Areas where there was still 'pack remaining had amounts closer to 30". Love all of you guys.

Amazing pics. Congrats again. You guys just keep getting slammed repeatedly.. Quite the amazing past couple winters. Kocin may have to start a new book.. Hope some of ya post photos in the photo thread tomorrow. Night all.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, NZucker, bmc10, and TheTrials FTW. They deserve major kudos as they were honking from the moment this came on the map. I literally sh** on this event from the first second I saw it on guidance, declaring the pattern would not support it. And with that idea I was dead wrong.

Thanks for the kind words...you're one of the best contributors to this thread and the board as a whole. A bit ironic that the Death Band set up in your backyard after you predicted rain, but I ain't complaining. It's been fun times lately, both hanging out with you guys and seeing the amazing scenery of this place in deep winter...thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nate's a smart guy... We used to be in more contact than we are now...

And he didn't even know his elevation, haha... I kid. Nice work...

Thanks..it was actually my friend Matt Crepon who told me my elevation. I knew I was up a bit from town but didn't realize it was over 340'. So blame him for my ravings. Didn't even matter with this storm though...

It just simply amazing at how much snow is on the ground, from this storm and of others. I have at least 2' snow depth. Im overwhelmed of where im going to shovel this later today.

The snowpack here still contains some icy stuff from Boxing Day, deep in the woods. Just sick! I had such a tough time shoveling as my driveway is already surrounded by monster piles.

I measured 13" at 3:00am and it is still snowing at a decent rate, although a fraction of what we had before. What's truly amazing is the fact that there is 25" sitting on my lawn in a flat open area. The snow is very clingy in the trees and it is an otherwordly appearance out there. Everything is closed in by the snow. The trees are bent over, but the ground has also risen to meet them. The tips of brances that are usually 10 feet off of the ground are buried in snow. The only problem with staying up for this is I may sleep through the OMG moment when my kids wake up and look out the window. My younger son asked me earlier if the sleet would turn to snow. I told him he'd better do his homework (aint I a stinker?)

There is one other problem; I have to work in the morning.

Just thinking of the snows that went into that pack (and some of the rain thats fallen on it) there must be somewhere north of 6" of water content. I still haven't gotten around to actually coring it.

It definitely looks like this beat Xmas Day After 2010, as I have snow all the way up to the top of a fire hydrant, whereas that storm had it only 75% of the way up. No drifting either! The snow has accumulated to an amazing degree on fences, trees etc; everything outside looks like its made of white marble!

I'm calling it 15.0" here in Somerset. I didn't clear my board after round 1, so some of the pack got compressed a bit by the rain, sleet, and its own weight. That puts me at around 49" for the season. Amazing.

I'm blown away that you're at 70" for the season...more than 21" higher a mere 12 miles away. Do you have a snow magnet in your neighborhood? :rolleyes:

I forgot to clear an area after round 1 as well. How much did you add to your final total to account for the compression? I measured 5 inches from round one and now have a toal of 14 inches of new snow.

It definitely looks like this beat Xmas Day After 2010, as I have snow all the way up to the top of a fire hydrant, whereas that storm had it only 75% of the way up. No drifting either! The snow has accumulated to an amazing degree on fences, trees etc; everything outside looks like its made of white marble!

Everything's an absolute mess out here. The wetness of the snow will make it extremely hard to shovel/move, and we could be shut down again for a while. 8-12" if this stuff is different than close to 18" of it. BTW, what do you have for a storm total? I'm estimating 17".

Looks like maybe one last burst of snow here that could add up to another inch if it intensifies enough.

If anyone would have told me I would push 18" from this event, I'd smack 'em silly.

I know, this storm changed rather quickly, two days ago I was anticipating an all rain event, then that changed to a mix, then a moderate snowstorm, and now we have this lol.

I forgot to clear an area after round 1 as well. How much did you add to your final total to account for the compression? I measured 5 inches from round one and now have a toal of 14 inches of new snow.

I cleared after round 1 and got 5.5" for round 1 and 12.0" for round 2. I also had a large area of my deck that was cleared completely before the storm that has about 16.5" on it at the end of the storm, so I'm looking at maybe 1" of compression, FWIW.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much they think I should add to my final snowfall total of 14 inches to account for round one's compression?

Its best to measure both evnets seporately then add the combine. I had 4.0 for round 1 and 13.2 just measured for round 2. Im guessing your probibly a bit higher. There will be plenty of Obs posted soon in the daylight so you could also estimate using spotters totals once they're posted in MT holly's Public info.

They've been closing a lot lately. They closed once in Elementary School, never in Middle School, and like 3-4 times in High School, that meant nothing to me though lol, if it was too much I stayed home.

They didn't close from 78-96 but that of course included 1983 and 1993 occurring on weekends, not to mention the failed non-closure of 2/11/94

Archived