gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything's an absolute mess out here. The wetness of the snow will make it extremely hard to shovel/move, and we could be shut down again for a while. 8-12" if this stuff is different than close to 18" of it. BTW, what do you have for a storm total? I'm estimating 17".

I measured a final total of 19.4" when it ended here. Is that about what you got? I fell asleep like an hour before it ended and measured when I got up about 30 min ago.

What's up with JFK???

lol forget them. Go back and read my post from earlier where I was talking about why they have no measurement for the mixed storm we had earlier because the FAA wanted to stop measuring snow there and the NWS got them to start measuring snow there again-- albeit not very representative. There is some kind of situation brewing over there.

I guess we're just going to have to make up for it with spotter reports.

Central Park wound up with 19", making this the #8 all time storm for Central Park. It's unreal to think that 5 of their top 8 snow storms have been in the past 9 years.

This is also only the 2nd time Central Park has had two 12"+ snowfalls within a month of each other. The only other time was Jan 19-20 and Feb 5-7, 1978.

http://www.erh.noaa....otplussnow.html

If the overrunning event next week produces, we have a shot at breaking the all-time snow depth record for Central Park - 26" (set on Dec 26, 1947). Current snow depth is about 21-22" (Central Park had 4" on the ground before this event).

Very steep gradient over eastern LI due to the dry slot and lots of sleet/rain - Riverhead, only about 10 miles to your east, had 6".

Just measured 13.5 here from round 2 only...im amazed at how much fell after 12:30 last night. What a fantastic winter scene outside. I'm ready for more..

Archived