amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is 3 (4?) 20+" storms for you in one calendar year... give it a rest, bro.

How nice is it to bust low all winter long?

Dude...you have no idea how much I am savoring every split second of this because I know it will all even out eventually. From Feb 06 until last winter I literally was screwed in almost every single event ... including March 09 where I came in with the lowest total because I sat in subsidence for 6 hours under 15 dbz returns.

This storm has me at 70+" on the season..and that's like 120 something over the last 13 months.

I don't even know what to say.

I had like 48" in February 2010...

Looks like we'll finish up with around 9.5" tonight, making for a storm total of 13.75" or so. See if the lighter banding can throw down another half inch but the storm appears to be over here by 4am.

WOW huge from where you are and where I am.

13.75" for you

19.5" here

By the way, NZucker, bmc10, and TheTrials FTW. They deserve major kudos as they were honking from the moment this came on the map. I literally sh** on this event from the first second I saw it on guidance, declaring the pattern would not support it. And with that idea I was dead wrong.

Word. Kudos to them.

What an amazing winter for all of us. I'm proud to be part of this group.

By the way, NZucker, bmc10, and TheTrials FTW. They deserve major kudos as they were honking from the moment this came on the map. I literally sh** on this event from the first second I saw it on guidance, declaring the pattern would not support it. And with that idea I was dead wrong.

Same here. I wasn't impressed until maybe 48 hours out. The NAO, high pressure location and initial low track was just as unfavorable as it gets for big snows here.

Indeed, I for one Didn't think we would get major snows from this but long and behold we did. epic epic kudos to them. I thought maybe 3-6"

This storm has me at 70+" on the season..and that's like 120 something over the last 13 months.

I don't even know what to say.

I'm calling it 15.0" here in Somerset. I didn't clear my board after round 1, so some of the pack got compressed a bit by the rain, sleet, and its own weight. That puts me at around 49" for the season. Amazing.

I'm blown away that you're at 70" for the season...more than 21" higher a mere 12 miles away. Do you have a snow magnet in your neighborhood? :rolleyes:

The problem with Feb 2010 is that we didn't maintain the snow that well down here with temperatures not being that cold; it's really hard to keep an epic snowpack within the urban heat island in February if you aren't averaging well below normal, especially in the 2nd half of the month...there wasn't much left from the 2/10 and 2/16 storms when the Snowicane began. Still a great show though with 48" in the books that month.

This January, I've seen 41" of snowfall in Dobbs Ferry, and we may tack on a couple inches more this weekend. Combined with persistent cold and one arctic outbreak, th snowpack is very healthy with about 2' on the ground in wooded areas and definitely over 18" on lawns/street sides. It really looks much more like Northern Vermont than the suburbs of NYC. I guess that's what 55" in 6 weeks will do.

I completely agree.... Whats soo funny is that we have been getting the so called "shaft" up here yet we have a 20" snowpack.... lol If thats a screwjob ill take one every yr.

I'm calling it 15.0" here in Somerset. I didn't clear my board after round 1, so some of the pack got compressed a bit by the rain, sleet, and its own weight. That puts me at around 49" for the season. Amazing.

I'm blown away that you're at 70" for the season...more than 21" higher a mere 12 miles away. Do you have a snow magnet in your neighborhood? :rolleyes:

I guess you can call it a snow magnet :P ...I tallied up the OBS from surrounding locales over the winter (westfield, rahway, etc)..and they are all near 70 as well. It's just been insane.

That being said, you know it will all even out over time. This area consistently came in with the lower end of amounts for three or four winters prior to 09/10.

WOW huge from where you are and where I am.

13.75" for you

19.5" here

We're up to 14" now as light snow has persisted with diminishing radar returns. Best banding clearly set up just to the south with SE CT-Central Park-JFK-Jersey City being in the main axis of deformation, but was still an incredible storm.

That's five events over a foot in two winters here in Westchester...8 events of 8"+ since December 2008. Quite a stretch, and there's just no place to put the snow here. Snowpack was over 2' when I waded through the Juhring Estate Nature Preserve earlier, looked like the Green Mountains:

Nate's a smart guy... We used to be in more contact than we are now...

And he didn't even know his elevation, haha... I kid. Nice work...

I've commented on this a few times too. Earthlight truly does have a snow magnet last season and this season. Every big event he gets a few more inches than me, even though he's only a few miles to my north. I just measured 16 here ... and he got 20-21. That's ok ... I certainly can't complain about 16 inches. But somehow he keeps picking up more than surrounding areas. I know before last season, he had incredibly bad luck for years. So I say it's the snow Gods evening things out for him. Good for Earthlight.

Something doesn't add up at Islip - the snow on the ground jumped from 9" to 21" in the past 2 hours and only 7" of new snow fell.

METAR KISP 270756Z COR 02025KT 1/2SM R06/2400V3000FT SN BLSN BKN003

OVC008 M01/M03 A2952 RMK AO2 SLP995 SNINCR 2/21 P0012

T10111033 $

METAR KISP 270656Z 02025KT 1/4SM R06/1800V2200FT +SN BLSN BKN003 OVC008

M01/M03 A2950 RMK AO2 SLP988 SNINCR 5/019 P0013 T10061033

$

METAR KISP 270556Z COR 02025KT 1/2SM R06/3000V4500FT SN BKN003 OVC008

M01/M03 A2949 RMK AO2 SLP987 SNINCR 1/9 4/009 P0008 60032

T10061028 10006 21006 53015 $

METAR KISP 270456Z 02025KT 1/2SM R06/4500VP6000FT SN SCT003 BKN008

OVC015 M01/M03 A2945 RMK AO2 PLE50 PRESRR SLP972 SNINCR 1/8

P0005 T10061033 400061056 $

We're up to 14" now as light snow has persisted with diminishing radar returns. Best banding clearly set up just to the south with SE CT-Central Park-JFK-Jersey City being in the main axis of deformation, but was still an incredible storm.

That's five events over a foot in two winters here in Westchester...8 events of 8"+ since December 2008. Quite a stretch, and there's just no place to put the snow here. Snowpack was over 2' when I waded through the Juhring Estate Nature Preserve earlier, looked like the Green Mountains:

It just simply amazing at how much snow is on the ground, from this storm and of others. I have at least 2' snow depth. Im overwhelmed of where im going to shovel this later today.

I measured 13" at 3:00am and it is still snowing at a decent rate, although a fraction of what we had before. What's truly amazing is the fact that there is 25" sitting on my lawn in a flat open area. The snow is very clingy in the trees and it is an otherwordly appearance out there. Everything is closed in by the snow. The trees are bent over, but the ground has also risen to meet them. The tips of brances that are usually 10 feet off of the ground are buried in snow. The only problem with staying up for this is I may sleep through the OMG moment when my kids wake up and look out the window. My younger son asked me earlier if the sleet would turn to snow. I told him he'd better do his homework (aint I a stinker?)

There is one other problem; I have to work in the morning.

Just thinking of the snows that went into that pack (and some of the rain thats fallen on it) there must be somewhere north of 6" of water content. I still haven't gotten around to actually coring it.

Archived