Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, continuing that little saga about JFK, its no wonder the FAA was trying to pull the plug on the guy measuring the snow there a couple of weeks ago.  As some of you may have noticed (something which Ray brought to my attention) they have no snow measurement for the mixed bag event that dropped 1-2 inches here.  Well, the FAA was going to drop their contract observer and no longer measure snowfall there but the NWS managed to persuade them to not discontinue snowfall measurements there.  I just wish they were a bit more represenative of the region as there is no way the snowfall totals could be that low with 4 straight hours of heavy snow with 0.1 or 0.0 visibility!  We have widespread reports of 16-18.

I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed that, I was keeping my own measurements and I couldn't find anything for that little event we had not too long ago.

Anyway, continuing that little saga about JFK, its no wonder the FAA was trying to pull the plug on the guy measuring the snow there a couple of weeks ago. As some of you may have noticed (something which Ray brought to my attention) they have no snow measurement for the mixed bag event that dropped 1-2 inches here. Well, the FAA was going to drop their contract observer and no longer measure snowfall there but the NWS managed to persuade them to not discontinue snowfall measurements there. I just wish they were a bit more represenative of the region as there is no way the snowfall totals could be that low with 4 straight hours of heavy snow with 0.1 or 0.0 visibility! We have widespread reports of 16-18.

There are plenty of bad stories I've heard over the years about measuring at airports, the best was out of HPN in the 80s when they had one guy who didnt like going out in the snow so he'd tell people to walk by and guess by the depth of foot prints.

Copying my series of posts, so I can keep a record of what went on for Part 2....

RU848789, on 26 January 2011 - 11:27 PM, said: 2" in the last 75 minutes, as of 11:15 pm. Wow. Pouring snow with maybe 1/8 mile visibility right now. 5.5" from Part 1 and now 4.5" from Part 2 for 10.0" total. Up to 50" for the season! Radar is insane over my part of Middlesex County right now, with 35-40 DBZ echos, so I'm hoping for another 4" or more before it's over. I love snow.

snapback.pngRU848789, on 27 January 2011 - 12:20 AM, said: Double wow - as of 12:15 am, one hour later, we now have 7.5" of new snow, meaning we got 3.0" in the last hour. I think that's the most I've ever recorded, although I wasn't recording snowfall rates for the Jan 1996 storm or anything before that. I guess the radar really doesn't lie, lol - those yellows were over us for most of the last hour and I got to walk around in it for awhile. Just a deluge of snow like I've never seen before - definitely a little heavier than I recall for 12/26/10, although not as windy, so visibility was still a little better tonight, as visibility is about 200 yards right now, whereas it went down to 50 yards or less at times due to the heavy snowfall plus the wind for the 12/26 storm. Looks like only another 1-2 hours of accumulating snow. At 13.0" total right now - would love to get to 16".

RU848789, on 27 January 2011 - 1:34 PM, saidJust got back in from another walk outside and I implore you armchair snow weenies - get the F up off the couch and get outside and walk around - it's simply gorgeous out there. Anyway, as of 1:15 am we now have 10.5" of new snow, meaning we just had our 2nd hour in a row with 3" per hour rates. Never seen that before. 16.0" total today, bringing the seasonal total up to 56". Looks like another hour or so of accumulating snow, so maybe we get to 17-18" total.

Ok, as of 2:15 am, we had 11.5" new snow, so we "only" got 1.0" in the last hour. Total event snowfall = 17.0". Still snowing moderately, but looks like only another 30-60 minutes of accumulating snow. Might make 18". Walked around the backyard and measured total snow depth and it's a general 23-27", as we had 6-10" of snow left over from the various storms (which I'm sure had at least a couple of inches of water content in it, as it's DENSE).

There are plenty of bad stories I've heard over the years about measuring at airports, the best was out of HPN in the 80s when they had one guy who didnt like going out in the snow so he'd tell people to walk by and guess by the depth of foot prints.

Alright, this reminds me of a research paper where it was discovered that the precipitation in a Caribbean station was overestimated because the rain container was being used as a bathroom.

Somebody is going to come in with 20...no doubt in my mind. It has to be close to that here..and it's still ripping. I'm gonna go measure officially in a few minutes.

alex and I have abt 15-16" today...and there is new banding setting up...maybe we can eek out a few more inches.

Archived