Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking back on this storm, I miss the big blockbuster nor'easters that snowed at .5-1"/hr rates for 12-24 hours. It made the excitement last longer and the feeling more wholesome. It seems like all of our events this year were quick hitting small-sized storms that were marked by 3-5 hour bursts of 2-4"/hr snow. Maybe its the climate, or the Nina, or what, but i want a good repeat of December '03, when KNYC recorded 31 straight hours of snowfall, and totals in the 12-18" range.

i can report very similar things out here. parts of our deck have a natural snow depth of over 30 inches. just looks wild out there.

Our snowdepth is less, largely due to the torch we had on 1/18 melting a lot of the prior snow we had on the ground (it got into the mid 40s here, and the roaring east wind just killed us), but it's amazing here all the same. You could practically see the snow piling up last night, it was coming down so hard. And the amazing this is how WET the snow was, which hopefully means it's slower to melt against the sun or any torch. Not to mention the sleet that mixed in for a time. That plus some of the freezing drizzle made the snow collect very efficiently on trees. Some of the evergreens have substantial damage from the snow on them.

Seasonal Snowfall Through This Afternoon (January 27, 2011):

Newark Airport: 61.8"

NYC Central Park: 56.1"

Bridgeport: 54.2"

Islip: 49.1"

LaGuardia Airport: 46.4"

JFK Airport: 37.4"

About 55" here. Ace measured about 51" so we have a reasonable consensus. :thumbsup:

The city is really dangerous as a result of the heavy wet snow. There are huge clumps falling off of balconies and AC units. These things can come crashing down from 5 or 6 stories at any time. If you live in NYC, use caution when you're walking around town. I hate to say it, but I could see someone getting seriously injured from one of these things, if it hasn't happened already.

The METAR prevailing vsbys below are from the tower. Note the "SFC VIS" in the remarks that are not quite as bad...either 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile, along with drifting snow which may have contributed to the vsby reduction.

Bill, first of all I wanted to publicly thank you for getting the FAA to change its mind and continuing snowfall obs at JFK! :thumbsup:

Secondly, and I think you'll see this also if you look at the radar data, JFK was right in the same heavy snow bands that NYC, LGA and EWR were; as a matter of fact, they extended from eastern NJ to western LI. They also reported heavy snow with three straight observations starting from 11 PM and continuing through the 1 AM hourly obs-- so for three straight hours-- as well as 2-3 inches per hour. The liquid equivalent measurement of 1.00 is also suspect. Perhaps the rooftop measuring location is to blame for this, but that then begs the question of why are they measuring snowfall from a rooftop?

The 10.3 measurement, as I understand it, includes the 2.8 from the same morning, which means that only 7.5 fell at night-- which just doesnt seem logical nor possible if you look at the radars from that time period. Most of the people in the southern Queens and southwestern Nassau area reported 16-17 inches, which is a much more logical number based on radar. Even if the 2.8 from earlier had not been included, they'd still be too low-- albeit not as extreme.

The December 26-27 storm was also a tad bit on the low side..... they came in with 15.5 when we had a consensus of around 18-19. The earlier storm in January where they reported 6.2 we had 8-10, but from JConsor's analysis of the radars, it looks like Queens was in an area of subsidence, and once you went across the border into Nassau, even western Nassau, the totals were a bit higher. The snow to slop storm, of course, they have no measurement for.

In short, when you add it all up, we have 50-55 inches of seasonal snowfall, not the 37 or so inches that JFK supposedly has, which puts us right in line with the rest of the region :)

• 3 months later...

Time really flies; seems like just yesterday I was shoveling snow. And before we know it, summer will be over and we'll be talking winter outlooks again. I for one have had my fill of the snow/cold for at least 5 months. I'm sure by late August I'll be back in the mood for snow.

Time really flies; seems like just yesterday I was shoveling snow. And before we know it, summer will be over and we'll be talking winter outlooks again. I for one have had my fill of the snow/cold for at least 5 months. I'm sure by late August I'll be back in the mood for snow.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the consistently mild, comfortable weather and the reborn landscape, which is incredibly lush and colorful right now with forsythia and magnolia just past peak, cherries and pears at peak blossom, lilacs and dogwoods coming in fast...almost all the maples and beeches are leafed out here in Dobbs Ferry, and they have that gorgeous pale green that only lasts but a few weeks in the springtime. My vegetable garden is exploding with arugula rapidly growing from seed, tomatoes uncurling their jagged leaves, peas starting to climb towards the trellis. Great times...

Having said that, if we get a monster cut-off next week a la May 1977, I'm heading for higher ground if I don't have to do too much substitute teaching next week....Snowman.gif

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the consistently mild, comfortable weather and the reborn landscape, which is incredibly lush and colorful right now with forsythia and magnolia just past peak, cherries and pears at peak blossom, lilacs and dogwoods coming in fast...almost all the maples and beeches are leafed out here in Dobbs Ferry, and they have that gorgeous pale green that only lasts but a few weeks in the springtime. My vegetable garden is exploding with arugula rapidly growing from seed, tomatoes uncurling their jagged leaves, peas starting to climb towards the trellis. Great times...

Having said that, if we get a monster cut-off next week a la May 1977, I'm heading for higher ground if I don't have to do too much substitute teaching next week....Snowman.gif

you have a garden from heaven man ^_^

you have a garden from heaven man ^_^

Thanks...our yard is beautiful in the springtime as we have dozens of crocus and daffodils, a weeping cherry tree, two lilac bushes, three large bushes of rhododendron, and forsythia in the back....I credit my parents and the previous owner for the thoughtful landscaping, and we are able to have all of these plants grow healthfully without using any artificial fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. The back of our property is the beginning of a nature preserve which is maple-beech forest with a few planted red cedar and white pine (probably from CCC days); the deciduous species have a nice pastel color right now with the leaf-out just taking place. It's a bit strange because Westchester is so heavily developed and densely populated, especially the southern half, yet I sometimes feel as I live in the countryside when sitting in the backyard. All this less than 10 miles north of the Bronx border...

The vegetable garden has been all my doing...my parents taught me the basics when I was young but never followed through with it. I started growing vegetables during Summer 2008, and this year I am doing my biggest garden yet. I have made tremendous improvements to the already fertile Hudson Valley soil using composted leaves from the woods, manure, and powdered kelp (a common type of seaweed high in iron and other micronutrients). In 2008, I was able to harvest over 150 full-size tomatoes from just 6 plants. This year I have a much larger garden and am growing: Moonglow tomatoes, Dr. Wyche's yellow tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, cherry and grape tomatoes, Lemon Boy tomatoes, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, Florida High Bush and Udumalapet eggplants, peas, green beans, yellow string beans, basil, sage, arugula, Amish melons, Cheyenne Bush squash, Marina de Chioggia winter squash, habañero and bell peppers, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. Should be fun, got the deer fence nice and tall around the main garden and plenty of container gardens on the back patio. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks...our yard is beautiful in the springtime as we have dozens of crocus and daffodils, a weeping cherry tree, two lilac bushes, three large bushes of rhododendron, and forsythia in the back....I credit my parents and the previous owner for the thoughtful landscaping, and we are able to have all of these plants grow healthfully without using any artificial fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. The back of our property is the beginning of a nature preserve which is maple-beech forest with a few planted red cedar and white pine (probably from CCC days); the deciduous species have a nice pastel color right now with the leaf-out just taking place. It's a bit strange because Westchester is so heavily developed and densely populated, especially the southern half, yet I sometimes feel as I live in the countryside when sitting in the backyard. All this less than 10 miles north of the Bronx border...

The vegetable garden has been all my doing...my parents taught me the basics when I was young but never followed through with it. I started growing vegetables during Summer 2008, and this year I am doing my biggest garden yet. I have made tremendous improvements to the already fertile Hudson Valley soil using composted leaves from the woods, manure, and powdered kelp (a common type of seaweed high in iron and other micronutrients). In 2008, I was able to harvest over 150 full-size tomatoes from just 6 plants. This year I have a much larger garden and am growing: Moonglow tomatoes, Dr. Wyche's yellow tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, cherry and grape tomatoes, Lemon Boy tomatoes, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, Florida High Bush and Udumalapet eggplants, peas, green beans, yellow string beans, basil, sage, arugula, Amish melons, Cheyenne Bush squash, Marina de Chioggia winter squash, habañero and bell peppers, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. Should be fun, got the deer fence nice and tall around the main garden and plenty of container gardens on the back patio. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

nice man, you must be a chef or atleast a good cook..Usually someone who goes all out to produce all natural ingredients knows the cooking business very well. There is nothing like homegrown fresh tomatoes, zucchini and green beans..

Still, January 11-12th, would have put down 20-30+ inches in 12 hours, just like North Haven, CT got 31" in 12 hours...

if only.

I just wish one or more of these snowstorms had been heavy during the day so we could have really enjoyed the spectacularness of daytime thundersnow :)

Time to move on.

Not if you're a snow weenie like me who obsesses over it year round. Where I am, spring and summer are often boring since the really nasty T-storms die out in the marine layer (I can't even remember the last time I saw beyond borderline pea size hail in Long Beach since Labor Day 1998) before they get us here on the South Shore 98% of the time, and interesting tropical storm activity besides rain and some gusty wind hits maybe once a decade because of recurves/cold water/prior landfall. The only time of year Long Island gets the real heart of any storm is the winter during Nor'easter season, and it's good just to be in a hot streak again. The snow that night was just incredible and I've maybe witnessed twice at most before in my life.

nice man, you must be a chef or atleast a good cook..Usually someone who goes all out to produce all natural ingredients knows the cooking business very well. There is nothing like homegrown fresh tomatoes, zucchini and green beans..

Yeah, I've been cooking all my life and worked 45-50 hours/week at a restaurant in Montana for 2.5 months last summer before I finally quit the job to just go hiking more and explore NV/UT....hated the exhausting lifestyle and you make no money out there, along with having a poor choice of ingredients because it's not a very fertile/hospitable area for vegetable farming and markets like the Hudson Valley is cut out to be...But wow did that experience cooking professionally sharpen up my cooking skills fast, esp with the knives as I was preparing all the long-term, heavy-cutting projects like beef/veggie chili, salsa, soups, etc for a while. Still make double the salary/hr in Westchester just delivering for Japanese restaurant. Anyway, my favorite dishes to make at home are eggplant parm (I had some good eggplant from my NY garden in August 2009 that really helped), anything Thai like sweet potato fritters with tomato-soy-lime sauce or coconut milk-based curries of veggies or seafood, and actually spicy multiple-bean chili that I learned at the Park Cafe in Montana and have adapted. I like longer-term projects too like baking bread, making mozzarella, applesauces for winter etc...

Tomatoes is by far the most important vegetable (¿fruit? think not...) to grow in the garden vs buy at the supermarket. They're so much better when they stay on the vine until deep ripeness, not maturing as they are shipped...also with the surge of availability in heirloom seeds, there are 400+ varieties you can easily grow if you start the seeds in your own kit. I've grown everything from the Pink Brandywine to the White Wonder (yes it is white! and a rare heirloom!), and of course Home Depot's fast-growing hybrid Lemon Boy which is actually one of my favorites:

Here is the new one I am trying this year, from the wonderful Seed Savers Exchange:

http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=975

I hope this squash works out, looks to be doing great early:

Still, January 11-12th, would have put down 20-30+ inches in 12 hours, just like North Haven, CT got 31" in 12 hours...

if only.

That was my best storm with 14.5"...had some nice scenery after the storm:

Archived