• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 5

earthlight

Does anybody know if the current PNS reports for Mount Holly/Upton are for both parts of this storm or just for Part 2, or a confused mixture of part 2 totals and combined totals?

In Monmouth County, 13.5" reports are the highest reports right now, but those ones, at least for Holmdel, are only for part 2...3-4 inches fell yesterday morning too and it appears some counties with the 17"+ totals are tallying both events?

i would personally count it as one event... we didn't have much of a break in precip between the two parts

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And had roughly half of 12/26 totals here. Mesoscale differences are amazing.

unless there was severe packing down issues i think alex over estimated our total...i measured 13" from part 2 and 3.2 from part 1....so just short of dec 26th but a great event none the less

Does anybody know if the current PNS reports for Mount Holly/Upton are for both parts of this storm or just for Part 2, or a confused mixture of part 2 totals and combined totals?

In Monmouth County, 13.5" reports are the highest reports right now, but those ones, at least for Holmdel, are only for part 2...3-4 inches fell yesterday morning too and it appears some counties with the 17"+ totals are tallying both events?

good question.....I was wondering the same.

unless there was severe packing down issues i think alex over estimated our total...i measured 13" from part 2 and 3.2 from part 1....so just short of dec 26th but a great event none the less

I just came and measured all over my front and back yard (and my neighbor's too-- but that's another story lol)..... that 19.4 was the high amount, so Im going to submit a second report adjusting the total downward. Here are the 10 measurements I got (I subtracted 3 inches for snowcover):

Note the cluster between 15.5 and 16.4..... likely the correct total is in there somewhere (this includes the 3 inches from earlier, but not the 3 inches of snowcover preceding the event.)

Noticed we retained some cloud cover when the storm was over? ;)

I just came and measured all over my front and back yard (and my neighbor's too-- but that's another story lol)..... that 19.4 was the high amount, so Im going to submit a second report adjusting the total downward. Here are the 10 measurements I got (I subtracted 3 inches for snowcover):

Note the cluster between 15.5 and 16.4..... likely the correct total is in there somewhere (this includes the 3 inches from earlier, but not the 3 inches of snowcover preceding the event.)

I measured 16 to your west.

i would personally count it as one event... we didn't have much of a break in precip between the two parts

Ok, I set out a clear snowboard as it was freezing drizzling yesterday afternoon on top of the existing snow. 13.5" accumulated on it for part 2...There were around 4" yesterday morning going off reports for my area before the changeover.. that had compacted to 2.5" when I had gotten home yetsreday and probably to 2" by the time round 2 started.

My storm total is then 17.5", buttt Mount Holly aint hearing none of it? I sent it like 3 hours ago

I don't know if someone posted this but... as of 7am...

CLIMATE SITE... ...OLD RECORD... ...JANUARY 2011 TOTAL*...

CENTRAL PARK 27.4 INCHES (1925) 36.0 INCHES

NEWARK 31.6 INCHES (1996) 37.3 INCHES

LAGUARDIA 27.6 INCHES (1996) 32.4 INCHES

BRIDGEPORT 26.2 INCHES (1965) 41.8 INCHES

ISLIP 21.5 INCHES (2005) 34.2 INCHES

can Central Park record 1" over the next 5 days to set the all time monthly record?

And had roughly half of 12/26 totals here. Mesoscale differences are amazing.

Trust me it had nothing to do with mesoscale differences in part 2 of the storm last night Greg. we got 7-8" of snow 11pm-1am yesterday. 13.5" was all from part 2...there were 4" with part 1 though yesterday morning that had compacted down to 2" because of the freezing drizzle by the time the main show kicked in. For some reason the PNS reports are not including part 1 in our county.

So our storm total was 17.5" right up there with Central ParK

I measured 16 to your west.

I submitted 16.4... nice number? It's near the cluster of those 10 measurements.

That 10" from JFK is definitely wrong, but in a perverse way, I'd love them to bust extremely low like this because it makes the error so much more obvious lol.

I think 16" is actually a good number for this storm, Ace measured 16.2 and some dude from Long Beach measured 15.9 JM measured over 18 but his first measurement was probably in a slight drift, like mine was.

Kudos to PT for his call yesterday morning that many places would see upwards of 15 inches of snow by the time things were done and his call for no real rain all day. Also he has upped his snow totals for February now and is calling for 75-85 inches for the year as of now by winter's end in Central Park. Great job and trust him more than our local mets. As of last night the call was about 9-12 in NYC and that was at 11:20. Night before it was 3-6 inches.

Trust me it had nothing to do with mesoscale differences in part 2 of the storm last night Greg. we got 7-8" of snow 11pm-1am yesterday. 13.5" was all from part 2...there were 4" with part 1 though yesterday morning that had compacted down to 2" because of the freezing drizzle by the time the main show kicked in. For some reason the PNS reports are not including part 1 in our county.

I know we got pounded last night. I was referring to 12/26 where we got clobbered and ace "missed out" so to speak.

That band of very heavy snow was one of the largest bands like that I've ever seen-- it basically covered eastern NJ, all of NYC and western LI at the same time-- all with 2-3 inches per hour snowfall for 3-4 hours!

That band of very heavy snow was one of the largest bands like that I've ever seen-- it basically covered eastern NJ, all of NYC and western LI at the same time-- all with 2-3 inches per hour snowfall for 3-4 hours!

I was outside at 11 PM; it was quite unreal, actually beat the rates of December 26-27th.

Noticed we retained some cloud cover when the storm was over? ;)

Ben, you read my mind ;) The storm was late in leaving too, it outlasted me! (I fell asleep at 5 am and it was still snowing!) The sun didnt come out until 9:40 or so and hasnt really stayed out the whole time since-- its cloudy again :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see what this weekend and next week has in store for us!

Ace, good morning! What was your measurement man? It should have been easy to measure this one!

well i would think it compacted a bit...but 13.5" from part 2.....16.7" total...THAT IS INSANE. freaken 5 hour lull and 2 1/2 hrs of sleet...or else we get 20" yesterday!

Can you post a link to PT's forecasts? Thanks.

Kudos to PT for his call yesterday morning that many places would see upwards of 15 inches of snow by the time things were done and his call for no real rain all day. Also he has upped his snow totals for February now and is calling for 75-85 inches for the year as of now by winter's end in Central Park. Great job and trust him more than our local mets. As of last night the call was about 9-12 in NYC and that was at 11:20. Night before it was 3-6 inches.

I was outside at 11 PM; it was quite unreal, actually beat the rates of December 26-27th.

We're going to have to collect a list of extreme snowfall rates. Here is my list of 3 inch per hour snowfall rates that occurred for 3 hours or more:

Feb 1983

Mar 1993

Feb 1994

Jan 1996

Feb 2003 5" per hour!

Feb 2006

Feb 2010

Dec 2010

Jan 2010 6" per hour!

Archived