Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think the northwest trend for this particular storm is not obligatory?

Just a though...

typically this year, we've seen both southern shortwaves and northern shortwaves strengthen in the final 72 hours or so before an event. For this particular storm, it appears the northern shortwave is acting as a kicker instead of phasing with the southern shortwave. If both the northern and southern shortwave strengthen in the final 72 hours of modeling, than the net result is not much movement.

You can see this somewhat in the NAM, the southern shortwave is stronger this run, but 500mb heights do not budge over the northeast in the hours before the storm because of suppression from the northern stream.

Oh that lovely NAM....lol. I hope nobody falls for it.

What is your take on this?? Is the euro developing the surface low way NE from the Vort too?? Is this a plausable solution?

Look at all.of the precip left back on Nam at 60 lol

I find it weird that the srefs are showing precip for NE and the Nam is not. Never happened in the other storms

Anyone else think the northwest trend for this particular storm is not obligatory?

Just a though...

typically this year, we've seen both southern shortwaves and northern shortwaves strengthen in the final 72 hours or so before an event. For this particular storm, it appears the northern shortwave is acting as a kicker instead of phasing with the southern shortwave. If both the northern and southern shortwave strengthen in the final 72 hours of modeling, than the net result is not much movement.

You can see this somewhat in the NAM, the southern shortwave is stronger this run, but 500mb heights do not budge over the northeast in the hours before the storm because of suppression from the northern stream.

Yeah I noticed that. I have a hard time with a 38/70 track right now. If everything else suddenly shifts at 12z, then maybe it was onto something, but I don't know..it's on another level right now. I do agree about the nrn stream and confluence having a role. It's probably why this won't go into srn CT....hopefully.

Yeah I noticed that. I have a hard time with a 38/70 track right now. If everything else suddenly shifts at 12z, then maybe it was onto something, but I don't know..it's on another level right now. I do agree about the nrn stream and confluence having a role. It's probably why this won't go into srn CT....hopefully.

oh yeah...I don't mean that. I mean just inside the benchmark...not MVY or Cape Cod...similar to what we've seen from the Euro and it's ensembles.

Convective feedback. Looks like it's developing the low on that piece of energy off the coast rather than the main ULL>

Yeah it is still strung out. You can see that t finally decides to slow down and await the arrival of the better forcing at hr 57, but it is somewhat of a head scratcher. While convective feedback can be real, it also can play games with meso models like this.

Noon in W. areas or all the way to the coast? I'm supposed to teach in Newton on wed. and really don't want to risk the drive back down RT 2 in a whiteout.

Well I think by early aftn it should start near BOS, but won't be heavy until the evening. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the timing on this, since it is track dependent.

oh yeah...I don't mean that. I mean just inside the benchmark...not MVY or Cape Cod...similar to what we've seen from the Euro and it's ensembles.

Just so you know one of Bostons best forecasters was calling for this to be a light to moderate hit in Boston for your reasons. He's been at this thirty years and felt the northern stream would prevent a ride up the coast on the euro.

Just so you know one of Bostons best forecasters was calling for this to be a light to moderate hit in Boston for your reasons. He's been at this thirty years and felt the northern stream would prevent a ride up the coast on the euro.

Harvey I'm guessing?

if this is just inside the benchmark I'm willing to bet it's a big hit for Boston...it's a big system with a big precip shield. Any closer than that and Boston starts to have precip problems.

Archived