Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be a sneaky warm layer above 850. It might be overdoing it, but that could be a good deal of sleet near and south of the Pike.

Its been a concern of mine since 0Z Sunday Euro's run. I don't have the critical thicknesses. I do see on SV the 540 thickness line has had a good deal of separation further north than the 0c 850 and 32F 2 m values. One time frame on the 0 Z Sunday Euro run the 540 line was north of the entire state of Massachusetts, while the 850 0 C line further south as well as the 32 F 2 meter temperature. If there's no sneaky warmth between 2 m and 850, its got to be warmer somewhere higher up to force the 1000-500 mb thickness values higher than 540 DM.

Hard to argue with Upton but based on all I have seen I think they will trend to leave the rain word out, look for frozen whatever but predominate snow even to the coast in CT.

Yeah, Upton's been very good this year. I think we'll see a decent amount of sleet...but no rain. Adding to the snowpack FTW!

Its been a concern of mine since 0Z Sunday Euro's run. I don't have the critical thicknesses. I do see on SV the 540 thickness line has had a good deal of separation further north than the 0c 850 and 32F 2 m values. One time frame on the 0 Z Sunday Euro run the 540 line was north of the entire state of Massachusetts, while the 850 0 C line further south as well as the 32 F 2 meter temperature. If there's no sneaky warmth between 2 m and 850, its got to be warmer somewhere higher up to force the 1000-500 mb thickness values higher than 540 DM.

4177f279-8a4c-4b29.jpg

4177f279-8a57-c6d2.jpg

4177f279-8a62-f84d.jpg

from what i have been hearing the track will be to close to ct and bring in warm air accuweather has ct in sleet to rain mix may stay all ice in the north east ct

i hope i am wrong and we get snow

I adore you. I want to adopt you and beat you sternly on the daily.

5 h and 8 h are way too far west, Enso, NAO are in different states. Not good IMHO

I agree with the assessment of the mid- upper-level trough positions, but previous research on EC snowstorms shows that the upper-level trough is a necessary but not sufficient condition for heavy snowfall in the NE...the trough needs to be there but it isn't what controls the sensible weather per say. The low-level fields are more important and hence these are decent matches. I also agree that the ENSO index and NAO are in different states...but it's difficult to near impossible to rely on ENSO for real-time weather...better for seasonal forecasting. As you mentioned the NAO is more of a player since its more regional and can affect the sensible weather...however there have been HECS when the NAO was neutral (as it is here) or negative. Just my two cents.

I agree with the assessment of the mid- upper-level trough positions, but previous research on EC snowstorms shows that the upper-level trough is a necessary but not sufficient condition for heavy snowfall in the NE...the trough needs to be there but it isn't what controls the sensible weather per say. The low-level fields are more important and hence these are decent matches. I also agree that the ENSO index and NAO are in different states...but it's difficult to near impossible to rely on ENSO for real-time weather...better for seasonal forecasting. As you mentioned the NAO is more of a player since its more regional and can affect the sensible weather...however there have been HECS when the NAO was neutral (as it is here) or negative. Just my two cents.

I agree just think UL are vastly different. Some good matches in there, hmm 2/7/83?

I agree just think UL are vastly different. Some good matches in there, hmm 2/7/83?

They are very different...which will be interesting to watch too...I totally agree. Yes...that one is very good too...the only thing that scares me on that one is the the -u wind to the north of the 850-mb low is much better than the fcst. Hopefully the 12z models will continue to support the overall scenario.

Archived