• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Show Us Your Snowblower

HoarfrostHubb

Here's my snowblower. It's a 2008 Ames True Temper 1627100 Arctic Blast 18-Inch Mountain Mover. It comes standard with an 18" blade and ergonomic handle. The color is Federal Blue.

As you can see, it is currently stationed next to the door and ready for action.

Sweet!

I need a new shovel as well

You guys are babies. I don't now nor will I ever use a snow blower. Not only do I do my walkway but the entire row (although sometimes I let the guy in his 30s do it if he's out before me.

You don't have a 150 foot driveway, 35 foot walkway, plus a turnaround area.

Feel free to shovel me out anytime (plus I get 70 +" of snow per year!) :weight_lift:

You guys are babies. I don't now nor will I ever use a snow blower. Not only do I do my walkway but the entire row (although sometimes I let the guy in his 30s do it if he's out before me.

Manually shoveling the driveway and plow mounds after a maple masher? I think not.

This is the killer. Literally, for some.

My wife's friends dad (85 years old) died 2 weeks ago shoveling the entire 1.5 inches we got. Don't ask me why he was bothering as it melted before 10:00am, but I guess clearing any bit of snow is just something some older people like to do, no matter how much it is.

:thumbsup:

we dont take out the snowblower unless it's over a foot and wet (waiting for Ray to edit that one)

All I have is a shovel. I guess I'm lucky in the sense we haven't had any major blockbusters here the past few winters or otherwise it would take HOURS to get everything cleaned. I live on a corner house and the sidewalks are huge. Plus we have 4 walkways and a driveway :axe:

Probably going to try and get one cheap this upcoming summer.

I still wouldn't do it. I'd hire a plow service before mucking up the garage with a snow blower.

A plow service here is probably conservatively $300/year depending on how many storms we get. When we moved to our current location, the former homeowners had a plow service and didn't tell the guy they were leaving. We didn't know about him either, and then after the first storm we were quite surprised when he came by in the wee hours of the morning. We let him do it that year (2003) at the rate of $15/storm. I don't know what the rate is now, $25/storm seems right ... could be more. Point is that in like 3 years' time a snowblower will have paid for itself.

Other disadvantages to plow service is that they totally fook up your yard where they deposit the snow. We had a gravel driveway back then and when the snow melted there was a ****eload of gravel where the snowpile once stood and the grass was tore up to hell. The Rev would've had a stroke. I damn near did, too.

In addition, plow man won't move your vehicles for you, so either you move them when he shows up (could be 3 AM, they don't make reservations) or you shovel the vehicle out later. And you're shoveling your walkway, regardless. Plus, you might need to leave leave for work or whatever before he shows up.

So, for me, self-removal is the way to go but if others want to help another guy pay for a vacation to Aruba that's cool.

father-in-law plows for the town of North Reading,    he's called upon in the major storms.     Otherwise I use the redmax blower for the light fluffy snow  (the key is  20-30% power) and a shovel for the lead-weight.   

Snowblowers are great,  however not always a smart buy.

Don't have to worry about space/mess in the garage. The Pit doesn't have one (cold steering wheel, ftl). We keep it in the outbuilding. As the first storm of the season approaches, I move it to the end of the drive. It remains there until spring when it gets moved back inside for the remainder of the year.

I got one of them Ariens Snowblowers. Bought it in 2004. Used it a lot the first winter and probably just as many the remaining years up till now.:arrowhead: My neighbor across the street has take to plowing the end of my driveway as a courtesy when he heads out early on storms. He works for an auto dealer. It's pretty easy to do my driveway since it's on a pretty steep pitch and I just let gravity take the blower.

I don't have one right now, but when I used to clear off the driveway at my folks house, we had a couple.

Old school 8hp Ariens. Still works well! This is from 1978, but I think my Dad had an early 80's model. Very similar to this.

Upgraded to a Husqvarna, but this bad boy is cumbersome and really made for snowfall greater than 10".

Our driveway is 300' long so shoveling is out of the question.

Archived