-
Posts
4,927 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by tnweathernut
-
January 2021 Medium/Longterm Pattern Discussion.
tnweathernut replied to AMZ8990's topic in Tennessee Valley
Just glancing through the ensembles the last 24 hours. If the NAO cooperates to the degree shown on modeling, it would likely take a modest change in the Pacific to start throwing chances to track something wintry. I just hope the PAC finds these modest changes before the NAO shoots all its bullets. -
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?
tnweathernut replied to John1122's topic in Tennessee Valley
He really is a great coach. I’m glad Texas thought his best days were behind him.. TN is lucky to have him. As an aside, my wife’s cousin is on Barnes staff and was on the basketball team for 4 years (2015/16 to 2018/19). At family gatherings (not as much lately with COVID) I get to take a peek behind the curtain of UT basketball under Barnes. It’s been fun the last 5+ years. -
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?
tnweathernut replied to John1122's topic in Tennessee Valley
From what I understand. It’s not an NCAA investigation.........yet. It’s an internal compliance investigation for now. -
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?
tnweathernut replied to John1122's topic in Tennessee Valley
Meanwhile TN’s football team sucks and their basketball team is top 10 in the nation. It’s the upside down universe...... -
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?
tnweathernut replied to John1122's topic in Tennessee Valley
Welcome back to east TN. Good to have you in here. You sure move a lot. lol -
Terrible news. Let us know if we can do anything to help........
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
It absolutely was. We saw 2-3" rates for 7+ hours. The forecast that day was laughable as the event unfolded. Looks like the recorded history of the event is also laughable.- 141 replies
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
Guessing the 1998 storm didn't make the list due to a lighter accumulation at the airport. We had over 20 inches at my place in JC. I noticed an article from Bristol where they recorded 8". The only two options are the airport didn't record enough to qualify for their list or the snowfall wasn't properly recorded. Since I know that has been an issue in the past it wouldn't surprise me if the latter is the best option.- 141 replies
-
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm
tnweathernut replied to Orangeburgwx's topic in Southeastern States
I think everyone is shooting for Uber white.... kidding aside....Modeling has been rock steady showing a great system for you guys and the meso models are now showing colder thermals. Y’all enjoy, but keep your eyes on the thermals up until the last moment. It wouldn’t be the first time a rug was pulled in the last seconds. Best of luck sent from the other side of the hill. -
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
That map I posted for 1960 doesn't really have any reports from your area, but if you guessed based on nearby reports that would have put you in the 30-35" range. I am guessing you were probably higher than that though.....?- 141 replies
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
This is also a great site if you have a few hours to kill. Not all stations reported, but several did. You can find one close to you and search daily data. http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=mrx- 141 replies
-
- 1
-
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
1960 is the gold standard for mid-south/southeast/carolina's March snow. It gets talked about a lot and I remember first studying it back when easternwx was around. Here is a 500mb map from the first 1/2 of 1960 as well as the surface temp anomaly for the same period. There are some 500 similarities, but I don't think the cold would have the potential to be as strong. I have also included the snow map I could find. I am sure it doesn't do John's snowfall justice (lol), but it was accurate for "recorded snow in and around the Tri-Cities (snowiest March on record just shy of 28")- 141 replies
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
That's part of what made 1993 so special. Just think of the technology we had back then and to know this system was fairly well forecast from 5 days out while the southeast baked in above normal temps leading up to the event is pretty remarkable. I can't imagine what this board would be like if a system like that started showing up on modeling almost a week out and came to fruition. Pretty sure the servers wouldn't be able to handle it. I was in college at ETSU. I remember the forecast for a heavy snow, but being from Nashville I took a chance and left for spring break to be with family and friends. I left that Friday, the 12th at the same time a buddy of mine at ETSU left to head to Danville, VA. I only saw light snow showers and flurries till late that night when backbuilding FINALLY edged into middle TN (we ended up with 2-3", but I remember drifts over 8'). A couple of weeks later I learned my buddy, who left at the same time, encountered heavy snows heading through SW VA and got stuck between here and home. He said the snow got heavy quick and he ended up spending a good chunk of spring break at a run down motel...- 141 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent
tnweathernut replied to Jonathan's topic in Southeastern States
North Carolina teachers must be different from TN teachers. All I hear over here on this side of the mountain are teachers practically BEGGING for snow days, lol..... -
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent
tnweathernut replied to Jonathan's topic in Southeastern States
+1. Might even be worth a plus 2.... -
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent
tnweathernut replied to Jonathan's topic in Southeastern States
now that is funny.... -
Stove, you are amazing with gardening stuff. I love reading this thread and think I will start a garden often, but then I just go to the store or farmers market and get good veggies there. Hope you guys get enough rain for a bumper crop this year.
- 292 replies
-
- garden
- vegetables
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
That's awesome, hope your tomato plants do well. I know harvesting those will be extra special!
- 292 replies
-
- garden
- vegetables
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Thank you for pinning this again. A LOT of useful information in this thread, especially for the newer members that want to learn. This is a link for the Euro maps (free), along with ensembles. It's not detailed, but handy none the less. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=namk&MODELL=ecmwfens&MODELLTYP=2&BASE=-&VAR=pslv&HH=0&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD= This is a link for the composite climate maps people use when trying to predict the future based on how the atmosphere acted in the past under certain conditions. http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/usclimdivs/
-
You guys have inspired me. I love winter, but looking forward to trying my hand at planting a few items next year......
- 292 replies
-
- garden
- vegetables
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
My memory from that decade is a little foggy, but I think that event for you guys in 1998 was on the heels of a similar event for us that same year (a few weeks earlier). Both events were cutoff lows. The one that hit the tricities area snowed 3 inches per hour for 7 straight hours and totaled 24-30 inches around Johnson City. Power was out for several days. I remember the population then being 55,000ish, and 50k were without power! I had a buddy in medical school at the time, living in a 500 sq foot, one bedroom apartment (with gas heat). There were over 25 people staying with him for 5-6 days. You would wake up and it would look like Jonestown the morning after with bodies just laying EVERYWHERE. Pretty crazy snowstorm. The reason I remember your snow was the setup was almost identical to what we had just experienced and I thought we were going to get hammered again. As the event got closer, the models began to hone in on the exact track, which was just west of us (sparing us, and hitting you guys with 12-14 inches of heavy wet snow). Great memories, even though the details are a bit fuzzy.- 141 replies
-
Highly recommend Dacula's site. He has a tremendous amount of good stuff there! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Historic Tennessee Valley Cold, Snow, and Ice Events
tnweathernut replied to Carvers Gap's topic in Tennessee Valley
You would have to think January of 1985 has to be up there. Search YouTube, several events that month into February AND arctic cold mid month. Dates with still shots below (quality not the best, videos are grainy at best) January 3 January 16-17 January 29th February 11th Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk- 141 replies
-
Weather References and Newbie Information
tnweathernut replied to burgertime's topic in Southeastern States
Weatherunderground.com. Has euro maps through 180, snowfall and 2 meter temps included. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
