joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring Medium-Long Range Discussion

wisconsinwx

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thank on a Morch repeat. We all know what that meant the rest of the spring and year, 2012.

Rather have a slow gradual warm up like most years. 

I was reading after a strong el Niño severe weather in the Plains is usually more frequent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what the CFS has for meteorological spring

post-14-0-25043800-1456873555_thumb.gif

Looking at the individual monthlies, it has each month warmer than average.  I think it's been said that it tends to not show colder than average months very often in the longer range so whether it's on the right track...I guess time will tell.

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/704637661277868032 Not sure if he meant the torch along with the fire hose in CA, but there it is. 

He might just mean the west coast. Just because the west coast is wet in this torchy pattern doesn't mean the pattern in the east will be the same. The GEFS is a good example of this, and is probably why the two Tweets are actually not contradictory. The eastern ridge moves into Canada and Greenland and the east goes under a trough... but the west also remains under a trough and stays wet. I believe we saw this kind of pattern in early January. 

Not saying the GEFS is right, because it's an outlier, but I'm just trying to think like JB might.

Boy, this is going to be quite the stretch of mild/warm weather coming up next week.  A weak front will move through Tuesday as a low passes by to the north, but it only cools to the mid 50s(brrrrrr) and models show the warm ridge quickly rebuilding across the north as another low dives into Mexico/Texas and cuts off.  Our avg high will be in the low 40s, but the latest Euro has mid 50s to upper 60s for at least a week.  The best shot at a very early 70 appears to be Tuesday ahead of the front and then again Friday/Saturday.  As good as it will feel, I hope the garden doesn't come alive too early.

:sizzle:

Boy, this is going to be quite the stretch of mild/warm weather coming up next week.  A weak front will move through Tuesday as a low passes by to the north, but it only cools to the mid 50s(brrrrrr) and models show the warm ridge quickly rebuilding across the north as another low dives into Mexico/Texas and cuts off.  Our avg high will be in the low 40s, but the latest Euro has mid 50s to upper 60s for at least a week.  The best shot at a very early 70 appears to be Tuesday ahead of the front and then again Friday/Saturday.  As good as it will feel, I hope the garden doesn't come alive too early.

:sizzle:

Almost seems like spring sort of snuck up on us since we've been concentrating on tracking these last few snow systems of late.  70 next week would be impressive, but we're already to the time of the year where we can easily reach 80 believe it or not.  2012, 2006, and 1990 are just a few that come to mind when we reached 80+ around March 10th or so.  Not saying we're gonna get that warm in the next 10 days, but I wouldn't rule it out if certain things fall into place.  Definitely looking like a toasty pattern.  Gonna be great.   :tomato:

Does look like a fairly busy pattern ahead with unseasonable warmth.  Door could eventually open for a severe threat in this sub but that remains to be seen.

Hoosier, when you or Andyhb start posting about threats in our subforum I will really take note.  Right now I'm interested in St. Patrick's Day or March 18th for us based solely on current GFS.  Until then I will watch the Plains.

Did not like the look of the 12z GFS. After a couple mild days in the 50s early week, then it turns colder and wet the rest of the week... actually through the 19th. O well it's cut off season.

day 10 euro actually looks like it's trying to build in and press an arctic high southward through the lakes and put together an overrunning event. 

geezus,  I need to stop  :facepalm:

day 10 euro actually looks like it's trying to build in and press an arctic high southward through the lakes and put together an overrunning event. 

geezus,  I need to stop  :facepalm:

indeed

fwiw, should probably go back to the long range winter thread if the threat continues to show up in the coming days.  Discussing winter weather in spring threads gets a bit touchy. 

EURO is showing two big synoptic, cold rain events from MO back up this way and then to the east. Not quite so cold in OH, but really wet with about 2" for you buckeye. Generally 1.5" from I-80 southward and SE MI. Near 6" by Friv. 

I see Dr. Gensini was on WxBrains tonight, good stuff.

How did he sound? haha he looked like death today and is coming down with the flu or something.

He's getting a lot of press for his ERTAF/GWO stuff that he's been working on last year and being able to forecast tornado activity in the 2-3 week range

How did he sound? haha he looked like death today and in coming down with the flu or something.

He's getting a lot of press for his ERTAF/GWO stuff that he's been working on last year and being able to forecast tornado activity in the 2-3 week range

Sounds fine so far lol.

And yeah I've been following that (used them quite a bit in their beta stage last year as well) and have been working GWO into my LR forecasting methods recently too.

Sounds fine so far lol.

And yeah I've been following that (used them quite a bit in their beta stage last year as well) and have been working GWO into my LR forecasting methods recently too.

Yeah it's some really cool stuff and was neat to watch it before several trips we went on last May/June 

Archived