• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Long range doesn't look quite as dismal on the GEFS today.  Certainly a storm signal around Valentine's Day with a +PNA/-NAO/weak -AO and a s/w moving through the eastern CONUS.  

West based -nao is starting to consistently show on ops and ensembles from this week into the future. Even though the euro d9-10 storm looks warm, the main reason is lakes low influence and ridging into the maritimes. GEFS much better @ h5 for us obviously but this signal is gaining momentum. I doubt we "won't" be tracking things for the next couple weeks.

Teleconnections seem to be unusually in our favor for not having any extended warmth this winter. The nao is particularly tough to model outside of medium leads but I don't think all guidance pointing towards some semblance of favorable blocking is a blip or coincidence.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of cluttering up the weekend thread. I'll keep posts about the Wed-Thurs thread in here. 

EPS run is too good to be true so take it as that. But it shows precip beginning around 7pm tues lasting through 1pm friday on the means. Obviously it won't happen like that but the most encouraging thing is the temps. We barely lose 850's on the averages and the surface is really cold for the first 24 hours or so. 

Looks like a big overunning event followed by lp tracking from the se and off the coast verbatim on the means. I'm in. 

Instead of cluttering up the weekend thread. I'll keep posts about the Wed-Thurs thread in here. 

EPS run is too good to be true so take it as that. But it shows precip beginning around 7pm tues lasting through 1pm friday on the means. Obviously it won't happen like that but the most encouraging thing is the temps. We barely lose 850's on the averages and the surface is really cold for the first 24 hours or so. 

Looks like a big overunning event followed by lp tracking from the se and off the coast verbatim on the means. I'm in. 

What about my backyard in Salisbury? Do we get some fun? ;)

What about my backyard in Salisbury? Do we get some fun? ;)

yep, looks like snow through somewhere between 168-174. 850's are close though throughout on the averages but a flip to rain back to snow when the low gets north of us. It really hard to say how it shakes out The one thing that looks strong is a nice overunning snow into entrenched cold air. If that even happens I'll stop caring about anything beyond. 

Seems like this run of the GFS is gonna be a big hit for all. 

Now we have the euro and gfs ops on board and the euro ensembles look really solid. It's not nearly as complicated as the weekend system. Confluence and pos tilt vort traversing with gulf feed. It's going to be another long week. 

Now we have the euro and gfs ops on board and the euro ensembles look really solid. It's not nearly as complicated as the weekend system. Confluence and pos tilt vort traversing with gulf feed. It's going to be another long week. 

Yup. Looks like a big snow/ice event for my latitude. Snow to ice then back to snow at the end. The previous run had the HP much further south in the plains, and it was stronger, too. Ideally we get the storm to come up the coast a bit more and that high to get in place a little faster than what 18z depicts, and then everyone wins. Good signs at this point imo. 

This would more than make up for the death of Uni.

I take some comfort into the front end overunning. That's one of the more classic ways we get a moderate event. GFS/GEFS/Euro/EPS now show this potential. How the coastal works gets muddy and tricky. But if we can score a slug running through the tn valley into entrenched cold I'm good right there. PDII style storm would be a big bonus. 

Archived