• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

I was on a small commercial flight about 30 miles north of Joplin when everything was going down last evening... worst turbulence I've ever experienced, though it was probably only high-end moderate/low-end severe. The flight attendants were starting to look at each other and stuff was starting to bounce around, then we were through it. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there... terrible.

So, what's the expectation Re: intensity-- EF4?

A few of the damage pics have an EF4 look to them, with the homes really flattened and the trees stripped completely down to sticks. It definitely looks worse than EF3 to me in some places.

Looks EF5 to me... I helped clean up after an EF4 last year and it wasn't even close to as bad as the images I've seen from this one.

post-2666-0-89100400-1306154543.png

Hmmm. Can you share the images that look EF5 to you? Curious to see!

Well, this for one. This tornado just tossed the vehicles around like they were Matchbox cars and flattened them like pancakes... didn't see anything like this last year with the EF4. This looks more like the F5 damage to me.

This.

I haven't seen anything indicative of an EF-5 yet... should be able to get some quick shots in this morning before the next storm rolls through.

Yeah.

I'm not denying it was an EF5-- I just haven't seen personally seen evidence of that. I would say it was most certainly at least an EF4, as per my comments above-- I've seen a few photos that look like hearty proof.

post-2666-0-89100400-1306154543.png

Well, this for one. This tornado just tossed the vehicles around like they were Matchbox cars and flattened them like pancakes... didn't see anything like this last year with the EF4. This looks more like the F5 damage to me.

It may end up being an EF5, but I don't think it would be based on this sort of evidence. Lesser tornadoes can really toss vehicles, which are relatively light for their size.

Sounds like, anecdotally, this one caught a lot of folks there off guard. Makes sense, Sunday night, people maybe less likely to be near a TV or the internet, family stuff going on, just not clued in to the approaching danger. Sounded like that from at least a few of the interviews I caught this morning while flipping around the dial. Saw one mention that this cell kind of "blew up" from not much to that over a short time period. If so, maybe that added to the surprise factor. Have not had a chance to go back and look at the maps of it as it developed yet and god knows how reliable the reports are on the major news stations, but that was some of the soundbites I caught.

On one of the networks (TWC?) Al Roker was at the hospital site and was saying he talked to a nurse who was on the 6th floor. They had been told a twister might be there in 15-20 minutes and it arrived in less than 5 minutes.

Seemed to surprise people.

Awful awful scenes. Can't believe this year.

Any word on JoMo?

Anybody on the board close to him?

Well apparently nothing so far..but in the thread in the Central Forum they tracked down where his house is(by using photos he had taken of his neighborhood in a snowstorm and then using google earth, etc.), and located the exact house apparently and it was right in the path of the tornado. His last post was rather chilling. Hope he and his loved ones are ok.

JoMo's posts from yesterday, up until the storm hit. The good news is that they had warning-- he heard sirens:

Giant clusterf*k of storms in SE KS with more developing around that cell. Constant rolling thunder. Not seeing all that strong of a couplet. Did witness some mammatus despite the low clouds.

nd there go the sirens, rotation just NW of here.

Pitch black out, couplet nearly on me... Joplin, MO

Note: The timestamps are Pacific time, so add 2 hours for local (Central) time.

JoMO, I hope all is OK for you! :hug:

JoMo's posts from yesterday, up until the storm hit. The good news is that they had warning-- he heard sirens:

Note: The timestamps are Pacific time, so add 2 hours for local (Central) time.

JoMO, I hope all is OK for you! :hug:

timestamps are not pacific....at least on my computer 515ish

[quote name='HurricaneJosh' timestamp='1306153442' post='704301'

Re: the hospital... It's beaten up, but the actual structure looks to be intact, based on the images I've seen.

Yup-- I saw the photos of the structure. I meant that perhaps in a hospital, you have people who cannot easily move out of a room (to get them away from windows, flying debris, etc.) all concentrated in one building... kind of like the heart wrenching stories we read after Katrina about the doctors and nurses struggling with moving some of their patients up to higher levels when the storm surge came in. But of course, that was just a guess I threw out there-- probably not correct.

this may be rogers hills chase tour..several have British accents

they drive by the lowes store that got hit afterwards at 1:16

they seem to be driving south of Range line road..much of the area in the beginning of the video got destroyed then(which wold be north of lowes)

Yup-- I saw the photos of the structure. I meant that perhaps in a hospital, you have people who cannot easily move out of a room (to get them away from windows, flying debris, etc.) all concentrated in one building... kind of like the heart wrenching stories we read after Katrina about the doctors and nurses struggling with moving some of their patients up to higher levels when the storm surge came in. But of course, that was just a guess I threw out there-- probably not correct.

Also reminds me of the hospital in Minamisanriku and the tsunami-they could not move the patients up fast enough and had to leave them or die with them.

I hope that story on TWC about the man being sucked out of a sixth floor window of the hospital is not really true...

With 89 fatalities and counting, I wonder if something like a nursing home or a crowded store or something got a really bad hit...kind of the opposite of the Tuscaloosa tornado which missed the university, hospital, etc. ?

I was not following this right as it happened, and can someone verify if Joplin had just a tornado warning, or if a tornado emergency was issued? I went through the Central Forum thread and do not remember seeing any tornado emergency?

The cell was warned and sirens were sounded.

this may be rogers hills chase tour..several have British accents

they drive by the lowes store that got hit afterwards at 1:16

they seem to be driving south of Range line road..much of the area in the beginning of the video got destroyed then(which wold be north of lowes)

more

00:05 20th street looking west ..large black tornado up the road

00:23 good will

00:26 arbys