CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have probably been incidents in the past that were not widely reported as shark attacks.  Because of the serious attacks earlier, every small incident is going to be reported and hyped.  I doubt there is any real increased danger swimming along the coast.  You should be fine as long as you stay away from fisherman.  I've always avoid this, mainly because I was scared of getting hooks in me.  Small shark attacks are much more common than the larger ones that occured.  Really I bet most shark attacks only require getting a few stitches.  It is an anomaly to have large sharks that close to the shore.  I'm actually going to Oak Island this october and I plan to go swimming. :)

Not insignificant compared to the usual number of shark attacks in such a short amount of time. 

You really don't have an understanding of statistics.  That's one reason you constantly complain that you didn't get a storm when your yard was included in a watch that covered 50,000 square miles.

You really don't have an understanding of statistics.  That's one reason you constantly complain that you didn't get a storm when your yard was included in a watch that covered 50,000 square miles.

I know you still have more of a chance of getting hit by lightning, etc. But this many attacks in a short amount of time on the same coast is unusual. Usually, there are not this many shark attacks in a three week span at the NC coast. Therefore, it is not usual.

I was at ocean isle beach about 4 or 5 years ago and my son was in knee deep water and about 10-15 ft away, at about the same depth, there was a 2-3 ft shark thrashing about and I don't know what kind or was or what was wrong with it, but we got him out and it kept splashing around and people were watching and looking. Something about that fertile water that makes it to the NC beaches, and starts in Asheville ! :)

I thought sharks don't even like the taste of human flesh !? I know I've heard that about great white sharks. Most of those attacks are surfers that are paddling out and appear to look like seals from their view. It seems with so many fish and other opportunities in the water , they should leave the humans alone? Maybe it's a predator reactionary strike, like a fish to a lure , that may not even look like something they would eat any way!?

Since you and Mack love analogs, maybe I'll look for some shark attack analogs and see where it looks like we're headed for the rest of this summer.

I thought sharks don't even like the taste of human flesh !? I know I've heard that about great white sharks. Most of those attacks are surfers that are paddling out and appear to look like seals from their view. It seems with so many fish and other opportunities in the water , they should leave the humans alone? Maybe it's a predator reactionary strike, like a fish to a lure , that may not even look like something they would eat any way!?

They mistake humans as a food source.  That is why it is usually one bite and then let go when they realize humans aren't their primary food source.

Hes pretty new to KCAE.    

5 Bills? Holy cow.

I'm not friends with sce&g  :angry:   

These winter heating bills will be just as bad! This is CAEs year for big snows and cold! Everything will miss to my south!

:lol:  The winter is always just as bad  (    btw......I'm going warm and wet this winter  :P

I love how this cooldown has become just 4-5 degrees cooler than what we've been having. BFD.

I know right?! :(  

Congrats to all my LGBT friends and family today. Equal is better.... :)

+1,000,000,000,000,000  :wub:

Good idea.  Can you see if you can find a correlation between shark attacks and wintry weather?

I don't know about that, but it sure would be nice if people stopped eating ice cream.  All that ice cream consumption is resulting in increased shark attacks.  Save yourselves, and others, by ceasing to eat ice cream.  Together we can make a difference:

0tuDNmX.jpg

Oh, the fun we can have with correlation versus causation...

I don't know about that, but it sure would be nice if people stopped eating ice cream.  All that ice cream consumption is resulting in increased shark attacks.  Save yourselves, and others, by ceasing to eat ice cream.  Together we can make a difference:

Oh, the fun we can have with correlation versus causation...

OK --- that's good stuff right there!!! :D +1

17 year old bitten by a shark today in Rodanthe. Sixth person bitten in three weeks at the NC coast. Still not unusual?

yeah its really highly unusual at this point, in fact its unheard of and there has never been a string of shark attacks like it in the history of the state and maybe even the country.

http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/Possible-shark-attacked-reported-in-Outer-Banks-310348591.html

yeah its really highly unusual at this point, in fact its unheard of and there has never been a string of shark attacks like it in the history of the state and maybe even the country.

http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/Possible-shark-attacked-reported-in-Outer-Banks-310348591.html

Back in the 1700s , there was a stretch of shark attacks like this! JBuns was on spring break at Kittyhawk, and said "it's normal"

yeah its really highly unusual at this point, in fact its unheard of and there has never been a string of shark attacks like it in the history of the state and maybe even the country.

When you have people seeing a school of sharks and jumping in to, "swim with the dolphins" the number of bites will go up.

Archived