• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Feb 26th 2010  was a 20+ event in southwestern Duchess County, more west of the river.  Boxing day 2010 was close to 20" at KPOU.  

Coastal folks have definitely had their fair share of large events this last decade.. I would think they are running way above normal in the number of events.   I read somewhere that NYC averages a 12"+ snowfall once every 4 years.. It seems like that average has been crushed over the last decade.  Is this the new normal?  lol

Wow... impressive. I settled on a total just under 11". I know there were some ~25" reports from the Pine Plains area, so I'd always figured the gradient was oriented more west to east.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb 2013 was just an incredibly dynamic and multifaceted storm. 6"/hr snowfall rates, thundersleet, and a gorgeous satellite presentation after that mesolow formed and began interacting with the TROWAL region.

The mid-Hudson Valley is kind of a tough place for big snows. We're pretty well tucked-in toward the mainland as opposed to southern Jersey, LI, and SNE, so we often miss the death bands in mature nor'easters that like to straddle the Gulf Stream. February 2006 comes to mind... the subsidence from that deform band was just brutal. I think I got like 4" or 5". Boxing Day was also a bit lackluster imby compared to other areas, but that storm was still fun to track and enjoy vicariously through earthlight and company. Then you have the redeveloping clippers whose snows often die out just to our west before going ballistic just to our east. That said, there are times when sitting landlocked in the interior can be a blessing, especially in marginal early- and late-season events like October 2011.

Yes haha I remember his pictures as that megaband just rotted over him, awesome stuff.

Extreme weather events are definitely the new normal. I didn't realize Boxing Day was so high here. 2/25/10 was pretty much the most painful experience of my weather life. We picked up like 6" of snow in the morning, then changed to rain and stayed rain (occasionally mixed with snow) for nearly the entire storm, while areas less than 15 miles to the south or west picked up 20" or more of snow.  :axe:  I know that's sny's favorite, he always brings it up, much to my dismay!

Yeah that was the rare case of being just too far EAST, still one of my favorite storms from a dynamics standpoint.

Extreme weather events are definitely the new normal. I didn't realize Boxing Day was so high here. 2/25/10 was pretty much the most painful experience of my weather life. We picked up like 6" of snow in the morning, then changed to rain and stayed rain (occasionally mixed with snow) for nearly the entire storm, while areas less than 15 miles to the south or west picked up 20" or more of snow.  :axe:  I know that's sny's favorite, he always brings it up, much to my dismay!

I only had an inch or so the entire storm in 2/26/10.. Had parachute flakes though, pretty cool to watch. Flipped back and forth like 20X between rain and snow, LOL. Fortunately for me the first storm a day earlier overperformed with near 10" so it was all good. The Halloween storm was probably worse for me as far as being on the "not-so-favorable" side of the gradient, with over a foot 10 miles east near Pine Plains and like 3.5" IMBY.  Also I missed 3/16/07 due to being at college, which I hear was 18" in Kingston. Pretty sure 2/13/14 made up for all of that here though.

Wow... impressive. I settled on a total just under 11". I know there were some ~25" reports from the Pine Plains area, so I'd always figured the gradient was oriented more west to east.

Its amazing how in the last few years there have been some serious snow total differences over very short distances in Dutchess Co.  2/26/10 was the most extreme example where places 10-15 miles to my east, the other side of Hopewell Junction and the Taconic, had far less snow than me..  Boxing day is another example where the death band set up from SW (over earthlight) to NE as far as southern Dutchess and pummeled the area for hours.  

Back to tonight, I am not expecting anything more than 1-3.. Razor sharp cut-off looks likely to develop just south of 84.

Drove to work in Fishkill and that's about the northern extent of the accumulating snow.

i live off route 28 about 3 miles north of Fishkill and i am seeing occasional bursts of snow, but it is really struggling with the dry air.

Sometimes I wonder whether the high ground just south of 84 plays some sort of role in preventing moist air from getting up here.  

i live off route 28 about 3 miles north of Fishkill and i am seeing occasional bursts of snow, but it is really struggling with the dry air.

Sometimes I wonder whether the high ground just south of 84 plays some sort of role in preventing moist air from getting up here.  

It's certainly not heavy, but it's accumulating.

Interesting point you made about 84. We had a discussion about that last year and most of us had the same feeling that you do. The topography of the area in which 84 runs definitely acts as a dividing line between lighter and heavier snows in many systems around here, and I think it probably holds true into CT as well. I'll see if I can find the posts about it.

It's certainly not heavy, but it's accumulating.

Interesting point you made about 84. We had a discussion about that last year and most of us had the same feeling that you do. The topography of the area in which 84 runs definitely acts as a dividing line between lighter and heavier snows in many systems around here, and I think it probably holds true into CT as well. I'll see if I can find the posts about it.

Yeah I think I remember that conversation come to think of it...The only events that we seem to be immune from this effect is front-end thump SW flow type events...You would think that this particular event given it is is somewhat SW flowesque, would be ok.  Maybe we are just a little too far north of the best lift this time around and it is less about the relative humidities, but it is uncanny that we suffer this dry air more often than not. 

Yeah I think I remember that conversation come to think of it...The only events that we seem to be immune from this effect is front-end thump SW flow type events...You would think that this particular event given it is is somewhat SW flowesque, would be ok.  Maybe we are just a little too far north of the best lift this time around and it is less about the relative humidities, but it is uncanny that we suffer this dry air more often than not. 

Yeah, although I guess this is more of a post-frontal system rather than a true SWFE, and the dry air from the CAA is really affecting us.

On a positive note, as I was reading through last year's thread and about a week after the 20" snowfall, most people had dropped down to 15" or so of snowpack. Here we are a full 2 weeks later than that and our pack is deeper (and likely more bulletproof). Not that it matters too much with some warmer air coming, but it definitely shows the staying power of this winter. Also interesting to note that we had a few storms last year that produced incredible snowfall rates and we haven't seen anything like that this year, yet we still are having an above average season overall.

In any event, is it time to move on to spring after this? Anyone holding out hopes for one more system? The cupboard looks pretty bare to me.

Archived