• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs. Thread

mackerel_sky

Heavy showers - a couple thunder rumbles... just before the rain started, gusts in the 50+ range for a couple minutes. Leaves were flying horizontally across the yard again.

Edit: Nice temperature drop, too --- 91 to 73.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive line just blew through. Best in months.

<Haven't checked.. but, a 60-70mph wind gust - and at least a half-inch of rain in 20 minutes.

<Never figured the coastal storm would affect us this morn.

Crapper, it looked like a good storm blew up out our way ! What was the rain like? I'm up the rd in Concord and I missed it

Crapper, it looked like a good storm blew up out our way ! What was the rain like? I'm up the rd in Concord and I missed it

20-30 minutes.  Plenty of lightning.  I was playing online golf.

Windows on all sides of house were drenched... unusual - since many are protected by overhangs.

All 9 cats were in the house - again, unusual.

A lot of wind. 30-40mph, most of the storm.  For about a minute... it was 50+ during the heaviest downpours.

At the peak, I started to get worried.  Easily 60+.  Didn't last long.  Right after that - 2 minutes, the sun peaked through.

<Checked storm totals... <between .5 to 1", here.

"Bout time, eh?"  Lotta fun.

0.00.  Don't know how but we managed to get nothing out of that big line of storms moving thru the upstate.  We were only a couple miles away again.  That seems to be the theme this summer.  At least it's cooling down, but we don't have much rain chances for the next week so things are going to be getting pretty dry here now.

Edit:

Charlotte is getting nailed again :rolleyes:

Charlotte is always getting nailed. This is like their 10th severe thunderstorm warning this Summer. Then they just picked up 4 inches of rain in less than an hour.

While just 20 miles north it's been nearly bone dry for the past month.  Picked up 0.02" of rain this evening.

While just 20 miles north it's been nearly bone dry for the past month.  Picked up 0.02" of rain this evening.

LOL.

The thunder is always louder on the other side of the hill.

First 3 months I moved to Greenville, SC.... big storms EVERYDAY!  You could measure

the distance of lightning strikes with a decent tape measure.  That was every evening.

All you guys get your 15 minutes.  You know it.

Severely dry here in HIckory too, Wow.  My family just drove back from 10 days in the Shenandoah Valley at Massanutten.  Everything was green on the drive home until we entered Catawba County from the eastern side on I-40.  The grass was brown and appeared very dry.  I pulled in the driveway at home to the same image:  crunchy, dry grass.  We need rain badly here.  This NW flow is killing us with all the downsloping off the Apps.

Edit: As a point of reference, here are rainfall totals IMBY for May, June, and July for the past 3 years (including this year, and I realize July is not complete yet).  The top line is 2012, then 2013, then 2014:

post-4420-0-17249600-1404588996_thumb.pn

Popcorn showers are starting to appear on KGSP radar.  Interesting since there was no chance of rain until later in the week and they appear to be increasing in numbers as the day goes on.

I'm listening to the sound of thunder as the skies are darkening    :wub:   

Archived