• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

I am dismayed the temp at 3950ft has been 33-34F recently after sitting all day at 31-32F.

It's raining in town at 45F right now though...moist adiabatic does argue for just above freezing 3000ft higher.

I need that to drop if I'm going to see any accumulations of a coating at 8am up there cause precip will be long gone.

It probably will drop a bit shortly. However it will be a race, because CAA will occur as the precip moves out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably will drop a bit shortly. However it will be a race, because CAA will occur as the precip moves out.

Yeah my only chance is if that CAA can cause some upslope precipitation to hold on a bit longer than the synoptic stuff. BTV seemed to be hinting that the only way the summits get accums is with an upslope assist.

Yeah I've been hooked for as long as I can remember. I could never live without mountains nearby. Going from ALB to BTV was nice but after a little while in BTV i knew I had to move to Stowe or another town literally in the heart of it.

I really doubt I'll ever leave the northern Greens, though never say never. I do find the Adirondacks and Whites to be more impressive ranges as a whole, but I love the localized weather in the Greens.

It'll be fun to see where everyone is at in 20 years...I bet you, Will, and other SNE posters have homes or property in NH or the ME foothills :)

Yeah I've been hooked for as long as I can remember. I could never live without mountains nearby. Going from ALB to BTV was nice but after a little while in BTV i knew I had to move to Stowe or another town literally in the heart of it.

I really doubt I'll ever leave the northern Greens, though never say never. I do find the Adirondacks and Whites to be more impressive ranges as a whole, but I love the localized weather in the Greens.

It'll be fun to see where everyone is at in 20 years...I bet you, Will, and other SNE posters have homes or property in NH or the ME foothills :)

I wish. My folks have the little place on the lake which is a retreat enough. Maybe someday I'll have my own.

NWS calling for 2-4" for MWN tonight. Expect nice white-capped peak pics tomorrow.

First time in awhile that the radar has had that cold season smoothed out echo look indicative of snow well aloft.

METAR KMWN 080155Z 28021KT 1/16SM -SN FZFG VV001 M03/M03 RMK SNB33 VRY LGT ICG

It looks like the higher summits in the whites should get dusted pretty good. The MW observatory should get several inches. It appears the snow line is near or slightly above 3000ft with some partially melted flakes down to around 2500ft. I bet the highest summits of the Berks - like Greylock - get a slushy coating too.

It looks like the higher summits in the whites should get dusted pretty good. The MW observatory should get several inches. It appears the snow line is near or slightly above 3000ft with some partially melted flakes down to around 2500ft. I bet the highest summits of the Berks - like Greylock - get a slushy coating too.

The Auto Road mesonet has 33.1 degrees at 3,300 ft right now, down over 2 degrees in the last half hour. Probably transitioning pretty quickly there. Dual-pol is in agreement with mixing down into the low 3000s now too.

Around 230pm the Mansfield ridge disappeared in a very telling white wispy look...almost like virga but definitely looked like snow. There was an obvious change in transparency around 3,500ft so I assumed it was snowing up top.

Sure enough, the calls started coming in: "Snowing at the Toll Rd top from Quad station on up." "Gondi top has light snow now."

No accumulation but flakes have flown up high today. I'm looking forward to being at the top Gondi station in the morning if we can get some of that moisture in SW NY up over here...it's cold enough for snow up there.

We had soccer in Morrisville today, and I saw that wispy virga when we stopped in Stowe around mid afternoon. I thought it looked suspicious! I was also up at Bolton later in the day, and it had to be in the upper 30s F above 2,500’ when I was leaving around sunset. It certainly had that October feel. The colored Intellicast radar is indicating some snow in the higher elevations of the Adirondacks, Greens, and Whites.

The Auto Road mesonet has 33.1 degrees at 3,300 ft right now, down over 2 degrees in the last half hour. Probably transitioning pretty quickly there. Dual-pol is in agreement with mixing down into the low 3000s now too.

Knowing the cold profile above and seeing that quick a temp drop it's gotta be snowing well below 3.3k by now (rapid cooling aided by melting and evaporation of snowflakes). Awesome. Full on winter conditions up there tonight.

Knowing the cold profile above and seeing that quick a temp drop it's gotta be snowing well below 3.3k by now (rapid cooling aided by melting and evaporation of snowflakes). Awesome. Full on winter conditions up there tonight.

3300 ft ticking upwards a couple tenths of a degree now as precip lightens up. Looks like 2500-3000 ft was the level for this event.

Good Morning CNE/NNE people. Time to come out of my summer hybernation. Looks like snow level got fairly low last night. Here is morning picture from the summit of Wildcat. They are around 4000 feet? Looks like snow level got quite a bit lower, somemaybe 3000 or so was the cutoff?

Foliage past peak here which is early. Now lots of bare trees but still lots of green too so maybe a second peak later this week? Normally I peak Oct 13 or so.

Gene

post-268-0-78110100-1349693318_thumb.jpg

It looks like the temperature on the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline stayed at or below freezing from midnight onward last night, and with 0.29” of new liquid found in our rain gauge at the house this morning, there was some precipitation to go with those sub-freezing temperatures. Over in New Hampshire, the vertical temperature profile on Mt. Washington shows that temperatures really fall of quickly above the 4,000’ level and they picked up 3.6” of snow as of this morning. Even though the foliage is past peak in general, if the clouds pull away there could be some nice views of white with the colors.

Archived