joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34f at casbah Vim Toot this morning. Legsy the corgi pup is licking frost from blades of grass as he sniffs the steam of his morning poop.

Mrs. lovely and fabulous Vim Toot has been layering up these past few cooling nights up there. Last night though was the start of fire season.

A lush bride, a hot dog, the aurora borealis and a roaring wood stove.

Heavenly.

Vim Toot!

37F. nothing better than the smell of fall in the woods. man it really gets the blood churning. off to the Danville corn maze later. but for now...

first view of Missisquoi valley fog this AM

IMG_2552.jpg

The second view of the same valley fog. Looking Nord to Orford. Fairly decent breeze this AM up top, glad to have the fleece and a coffee.

IMG_2553.jpg

Big Jay basin foliage starting to shine. Looking down toward Belvidere. PF's hunting grounds washed out, apologies for the crappy pics, I'm a much better walker than photog

IMG_2556.jpg

37F. nothing better than the smell of fall in the woods. man it really gets the blood churning. off to the Danville corn maze later. but for now...

first view of Missisquoi valley fog this AM

IMG_2552.jpg

The second view of the same valley fog. Looking Nord to Orford. Fairly decent breeze this AM up top, glad to have the fleece and a coffee.

IMG_2553.jpg

Big Jay basin foliage starting to shine. Looking down toward Belvidere. PF's hunting grounds washed out, apologies for the crappy pics, I'm a much better walker than photog

The ground fog pictures are nicely framed. Well shot.

You must be a hell of a walker!

Vim Toot!

Fall thread!

Northern Lights!

39F here this morning!

Back from the San Juan Islands.... :whistle:

Ahhh... I had 39.5F on my 24 hour "min", so its going down as 40F. Brutally close to an official 39F. I'll take comfort in the fact that the thermometer ticked down under the 40.0F level ;)

Looks like MVL ASOS is showing 40F for their min, too. Other ASOS... MPV 43F, BTV 45F

Ahhh... I had 39.5F on my 24 hour "min", so its going down as 40F. Absolutely brutally close to an official 39F. I'll take comfort in the fact that the thermometer ticked down under the 40.0F level ;)

Looks like MVL ASOS is showing 40F for their min, too.

That took serious self control.

I would have rounded down as your temp did indeed fall below 40f.

Vim Toot!

Sounds like I should have stayed out a bit later, as I didn't see any Northern Lights when I went in at 11 last night.

Down to 44F, which isn't too bad with being close to the CT River. With cooler water temps and the recent flooding, I am guessing the river is cooler than normal for this time of the year, I bet we will have an earlier frost than normal this year.

I bet there was some frost in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont... there were a bunch of 33-37F readings out that way this morning.

I love the BTV daily weather summaries... I wish more NWS offices produced these everyday with max/min/precip/snowfall/snow depth presentations.

Amazing difference in Chittenden County temps (BTV area)... from 39F in Jerhico (800ft) on the western slope, to low/mid 50s along the lakeshore where the water is still quite warm. As usual, the higher elevations (above 1,500ft) stayed quite warm in this area... Bolton Valley at 2,100ft was only 48F this morning, and the three stations around Mansfield stayed in the mid 40s.

I bet there was some frost in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont... there were a bunch of 33-37F readings out that way this morning.

I love the BTV daily weather summaries... I wish more NWS offices produced these everyday with max/min/precip/snowfall/snow depth presentations.

Amazing difference in Chittenden County temps (BTV area)... from 39F in Jerhico (800ft) on the western slope, to low/mid 50s along the lakeshore where the water is still quite warm. As usual, the higher elevations (above 1,500ft) stayed quite warm in this area... Bolton Valley at 2,100ft was only 48F this morning, and the three stations around Mansfield stayed in the mid 40s.

Carrabassett Valley in Me got into the 30's last night. They'll be blowin' snow at Sugarloaf soon. lol

The warmth is returning... or at least the high dew points are. This morning's low temps/dews show the trend of increasing moisture in the air from the southwest.

Temps/dews early this morning:

Saranac Lake...60/58 (big difference from 34F only 24 hours ago)

Burlington...62/60

Montpelier...56/55

Saint Johnsbury...52/52

Morrisville-Stowe...51/51

Cooler air lingering in the elevated valleys of northern/eastern VT (that 700-800ft valley floor at MVL and St J radiates very nicely) but BTV and SLK had trouble dropping to/below 60F. I really liked the crisp feel to the night on Saturday night, and am not really excited that dews are heading back towards 60F or maybe higher.

I'm on my way to the summit for the day... currently 54F up there (minor inversion) with 20G30 out of the west.

Had 67/34 yesterday, 1st sub-40 and first fire in the stove since June. (Tried to post yest morning, but my ancient home computer locked up, twice, and then it was time for other things.)

06z gfs has RUM down to 30 this coming weekend, and has been pretty consistent with subfreezing h85s and frosty surface temps for those days. Also some serious drying-out time, though other models aren't quite as optimistic about that. On average, September has the most sunny days of any month at my place, so maybe these next two weeks make it happen.

Had 67/34 yesterday, 1st sub-40 and first fire in the stove since June. (Tried to post yest morning, but my ancient home computer locked up, twice, and then it was time for other things.)

06z gfs has RUM down to 30 this coming weekend, and has been pretty consistent with subfreezing h85s and frosty surface temps for those days. Also some serious drying-out time, though other models aren't quite as optimistic about that. On average, September has the most sunny days of any month at my place, so maybe these next two weeks make it happen.

Models have been pretty consistent hitting on the colder temps in 16-18th range over the last week, I think a lot of areas will be seeing some frost as we are making the transition into fall..

This will be that weekend when the first shot of cold air hits you, and has that crisp smell of fall. Always an exciting time of time, during the transition. I will be at Moosehead this weekend, so I will certainly get it.

You should see one up there especially away from the lake itself, Nice area, Enjoy it.

This will be that weekend when the first shot of cold air hits you, and has that crisp smell of fall. Always an exciting time of time, during the transition. I will be at Moosehead this weekend, so I will certainly get it.

The first cold of the fall frequently seems to coincide with the Tunbridge World's Fair, which is this Thursday through Sunday. The fair will often seem so warm during the day only to become the coldest place in the NE as soon as the sun drops behind the hills.

Spent that night up on top of Madonna mountain. It didn't fall below the upper 30's there but with a 25-30 mph wind that picked up around midnight my 32 degree bag, and puffy jacked was put to the test. No frost. Pretty nice to feel cold though.

Friday is going to be great with that 0c dropping down to almost 900 mb.

Bittersweet time of the year...knowing warm wx's days are numbered after waiting so long in the spring/summer for it. One more warm day today until we cool off for a solid 5 days. 00z Euro is warm after this cold shot though so maybe there's still some 80s in the future for the coastal plain.

Bittersweet time of the year...knowing warm wx's days are numbered after waiting so long in the spring/summer for it. One more warm day today until we cool off for a solid 5 days. 00z Euro is warm after this cold shot though so maybe there's still some 80s in the future for the coastal plain.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to see another warmish surge or two. After all, it ain't a true indian summer until after the first frost--at least that's always been my understanding of the term.

Not much to report--warm & muggy the past couple days, had some showers overnight (haven't measured yet) and some mighty thick morning fog both Monday and Tuesday mornings down the CT valley.

borderwx--awesome shots above the fog, speaking of....

Nice to see Wake finally get 200. :whistle:

Archived